Server recommendation

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    We are in the market for a new server, and I'm looking for opinions. Right
    now, the BA has his eye on a Dell:
    Celeron 2.0
    128 megs DDR RAM
    4x40GB hard drives
    24x CD
    I believe it is either a 1u or 2u rackmount, but I can't remember which off
    the top of my head. This is going to run $1800.

    Considerations:
    1) Building it myself is probably out of the question, as the BA likes a
    big name company to be there to stand by the product.
    2) Being rack mountable is not needed. The BA wants the dell because it
    looks cool. Honestly. I'm not kidding.
    3) $1800 is probably the price cap. I personally believe something in the
    ballpark of a regular old tower case with an XP2500+ or P4 2.4C, 512 megs
    of RAM, and 2x80GB WD SE would be fine, and would come in well under $1800,
    however I need someplace to provide this type of configuration for me, as I
    said, the BA wants a big name company behind it.

    Operating system is not needed, as NT4.0 Server will be installed on it
    initially, with a likely upgrade to 2000/2003 Server by the end of next
    year.

    Any leads?
    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004

  2. DeMoN LaG

    Swift Guest

    Um. Dude...dell sucks major ass. Always go with a custom built PC.
    Hell, call the place where I work (Xtreme PC) and order one from there.
    You'll get a much better warranty out of it. Not to mention the fact
    that most custom places don't use Third Party (White LAbel) parts. And
    running a celeron 2 and 128 mp of ram for $1800.00? That's getting
    Majorly screwed. Go with an Athlon XP before you screw yourself over
    like that, and get at least 512 mb ram. Hell, a standard desktop unit
    of the following specs is only $799.99 (w/out monitor):

    AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    512mb pc2100 DDR Ram
    80 GB 7200 RPM ATA HDD
    ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB Video Card
    CDRW/DVD combo drive
    3.5" FDD
    10/100 Ethernet port
    Surround sound w/powered stereo speakers
    Keyboard/mouse
    Windows XP home installed

    You can upgrade the drive to a 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB cache HDD for
    something like $120-130 more if you want.

    Plus it comes with a 3 year parts 5 year labor warranty. Granted it's
    out of Valdosta GA, and who's ever heard of Valdosta before, right? But
    the corp owns 31 stores across the nation. If you want the number to
    the store, let me know and I'll give it to you, just don't screw
    yourself over by buying a Dell.

    Swift

    Swift, Jan 17, 2004

  3. DeMoN LaG

    derek / nul Guest

    As you have not given the intended use, I assume it is only a file server.
    In that case get a dell and a 3 year warranty as they will come to you when
    hardware work is needed.

    derek / nul, Jan 17, 2004
  4. DeMoN LaG

    George Guest

    I used to work at HP's server division (non-existent since the Compaq
    merger) and have gotten to examine competing servers whenever I wanted.
    Granted, this info is about two years old but it may give you some insight
    into what to buy. The brand that was killing HP in the market was Dell, but
    based on what I saw, I would not buy a Dell server. The products everyone
    was producing at the time were based on the ServerWorks HE and LE chipsets
    and there was a problem with them that some companies didn't bother to
    correct in their server designs...Dell was one of them and their products
    had extensive single bit memory errors. Also, and this primarily concerns
    production engineers, Dell products obviously had to be x-rayed for some
    assurance of component connectivity as they had insufficient access points
    to electrically verify on an in-circuit test system. I thought the class
    act (at the time) of servers (other than HP) was IBM. Compaq also was good.
    Of those, I'd get whichever had the best support from an English-speaking
    country these days...

    Also, to consider: the reason HP was losing business to Dell at the time
    was because people liked Dell's support (Dell had a higher failure rate back
    then but people remembered the attention they got more than the problems).
    I have a Dell laptop these days, and at least their consumer support is
    bottom of the barrel IMHO. If you want to build your own, you might want to
    build based on a SuperMicro motherboard...I've always found their support to
    be very good.

    The last criteria I'd use is "it looks cool"...if you have to live with this
    thing, get something trouble-free. You can always add bells, whistles, neon
    lights, chrome plating, air shocks and whatever else Bozo wants...

    George, Jan 17, 2004
  5. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    derek / nul <> wrote in

    > As you have not given the intended use, I assume it is only a file
    > server. In that case get a dell and a 3 year warranty as they will
    > come to you when hardware work is needed.

    Yeah, I forgot that portion. Basically, the machine is a stand alone
    domain controller for a small (100 to 200 machine) network, and also does
    stuff like share videos for teachers to show in classrooms and stuff. It
    is by far not a challenging job for the machine.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004
  6. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Swift <> wrote in news:6z6Ob.85480$na.45119@attbi_s04:

    > Um. Dude...dell sucks major ass. Always go with a custom built PC.

    They do suck, and I do custom build my personal machines, but this is my
    job we are talking about, and the business administrator doesn't want to
    have it custom built because there would be no big company to back the
    product up.

    > Hell, call the place where I work (Xtreme PC) and order one from there.
    > You'll get a much better warranty out of it. Not to mention the fact
    > that most custom places don't use Third Party (White LAbel) parts. And
    > running a celeron 2 and 128 mp of ram for $1800.00? That's getting
    > Majorly screwed. Go with an Athlon XP before you screw yourself over

    Did you read anything as to why it was $1800? It has 4x40GB drives, and
    is a 1u rackmount server. That's why it is expensive.

    > like that, and get at least 512 mb ram. Hell, a standard desktop unit
    > of the following specs is only $799.99 (w/out monitor):

    This machine would be a poor choice, as there is no need for a 9200 video
    card, there are no redundent hard drives, there is no need for a CDRW/DVD
    drive over a plain CD drive, surround speakers would be pointless to put
    on a server that sits in a tiny little room by itself, and XP home is
    completely unnecessary unless this is a special version of XP Home that
    allows you to promote it to a domain controller.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 17, 2004
  7. DeMoN LaG

    Swift Guest

    Actually, I did miss the rackmount server part. That happens when you
    read newsgroups at 3am. So you're right, you wouldn't need the speakers
    and OS and whatnot. As far as the other though? Maybe try to explain
    to them that just because a big company stands behind it dosen't make it
    a product worth having. If they just want a hunk 'o junk to run their
    stuff, then tell them to buy the dell. If they think they'll end up
    being able to use the machine for multiple functions once they get it
    in, then they'll want to rethink the dell. Put it to them this way:

    Which kind of car is better? A Mass Manufactured piece of metal, or one
    that is Custom Built, designed for the person using it and using all the
    best parts?

    Most people don't think of computers in those terms, but you seems to be
    someone who knows the value of a good handbuilt system. Either way you
    end up though, good luck with it, and I hope that you're able to make
    your employers happy

    Swift

    Swift, Jan 17, 2004
  8. DeMoN LaG