    mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve
    say (I do have some connection problems).
    Al

    Alan Collinge, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Alan Collinge

    °Mike° Guest

    What antivirus are you using?

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:24:35 -0000, in
    <bt6j33$jb6$>
    Alan Collinge scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Alan Collinge

    Spider Guest

    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1
    "Alan Collinge" <> wrote in message
    > Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain

    pop.freeserve.com -
    > mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve
    > say (I do have some connection problems).
    > Al

    Alan,
    Are you running an Anti-Virus mail scan or a spam mail cleaner program? You
    have something setup between you and the pop server that is not working
    properly.
    --
    Spider

    Spider, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Alan Collinge

    Stace Guest

    > Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain

    pop.freeserve.com -
    > mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve
    > say (I do have some connection problems).
    > Al

    Yes. 127.0.0.1. is the loopback address (i.e. your own PC).

    Stace.

    Stace, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Alan Collinge

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 14:24:35 -0000, Alan Collinge wrote:

    >Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain pop.freeserve.com -
    >mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve

    This is because your antivirus software intercepts your email for
    scanning. If you start off with the correct FS info, your AV software
    reads that and replaces it by the llocal loopback 127.0.0.1 address.

    You can always disable email scanning.

    >say (I do have some connection problems).

    What sort of connection problem, mail , browsing?

    Me

    why?, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Alan Collinge

    Budweiser Guest

    > Freeserve say my incoming Mail (POP3) box should contain

    pop.freeserve.com -
    > mine contains 127.0.0.1, whatever that is. Should I type in what Freeserve
    > say (I do have some connection problems).
    > Al

    dissable your anti virus software
    re enter the freeserve stuff
    check to see if working
    re enable av
    had the same problem on another box running norton av

    Budweiser, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Thanks, all. Connection problem is that IE seldom connects and I get Cannot
    find Server as explanation. I have Norman av - if I disable and check my
    server, can I reinstate? What is a loop address?
    Al

    Alan Collinge, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Alan Collinge

    °Mike° Guest

    After installing NVC, smtp and pop3 server is automatically
    changed to 127.0.0.1 in my email client configuration
    http://www.norman.com/technical_nvc5_various.shtml#8_8

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:15:05 -0000, in
    <bt743u$hna$>
    Alan Collinge scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Alan Collinge

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:15:05 -0000, Alan Collinge wrote:

    >Thanks, all. Connection problem is that IE seldom connects and I get Cannot
    >find Server as explanation. I have Norman av - if I disable and check my
    >server, can I reinstate? What is a loop address?

    loopback address.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/L/loopback_address.html

    RFC 3330 - Special-Use IPv4 Addresses
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3330.html
    127.0.0.0/8 - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
    loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
    address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
    This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
    but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
    anywhere [RFC1700, page 5].

    Me

    why?, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Alan Collinge

    Boomer Guest

    "Alan Collinge" <> wrote in

    > Wow, you guys. My head hurts - I'll go away and think about all
    > that. Its not easy for a new boy, but thanks.
    > Al

    Hi

    Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
    in your reply?
    (Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
    others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

    Further info:

    Thank You Very Much :)

    Boomer, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Wow, you guys. My head hurts - I'll go away and think about all that. Its

    Alan Collinge, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Hopefully, previous messages now included. Al

    Alan Collinge, Jan 4, 2004