server not found, try again over and over again- help

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Bill Penney, Jul 30, 2011.

  1. Bill Penney

    Bill Penney Guest

    I have been using Firefox for several years now. Up until this year, I
    never had problems. Then, sometime within the last year, I noticed that
    when I visited websites, I would keep getting the "server not found" message
    and I would have to press "try again" sometimes up to 5 times before I would
    get to a website. I also get email lag in Outlook Express 6, sometimes it
    will say something like server not found and I'll have to manually select
    receive and emails will come through.

    I am running XP SP 3, Verizon Internet Security Suite, and Firefox (latest
    version) for browsing and OE 6 for email/ groups. I have tried all sorts of
    troubleshooting as suggested on various websites, but to no avail. I have
    uninstalled Firefox from "program permissions" in Verizon Security Suite and
    then reinstalled but no effect. I have also tried some advanced network
    troubleshooting techniques as suggested at Microsoft, but no help.

    I am suspecting maybe Verizon Internet Security Suite is interferring
    somehow, but I don't know how to troubleshoot further other than what I have
    already done.

    The problem makes it almost impossible to download files and many times I
    have to refresh several times before I get the opportunity to download a
    file.

    So the bottom line is that Firefox and OE 6 work, but very sluggishly and
    reloading/ refreshing many times before finally getting email and or getting
    to websites. As I say, it's been going on for about a year.

    Thank you,
    Bill Penney

    Bill Penney, Jul 30, 2011

  2. Bill Penney

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:19:20 -0400, in message <j11p29$kb0$>
    Bill Penney wrote:

    > I have been using Firefox for several years now. Up until this year, I
    > never had problems. Then, sometime within the last year, I noticed that
    > when I visited websites, I would keep getting the "server not found" message
    > and I would have to press "try again" sometimes up to 5 times before I would
    > get to a website.

    This means your computer is not getting a response back from your ISP's ***
    DNS server.

    *** If you have changed the DNS server setting on your computer, then
    it means you are not getting a response back from whichever DNS
    server you changed it to.

    This can be caused by several things, such as

    1) The network path between you and your ISP's DNS server is
    congested and packets are being lost.

    2) Your ISP's DNS server is overloaded.

    This might mean that your ISP has experienced growth in use (or growth
    in use your area) and its infrastructure needs to be upgraded.

    It could mean also mean your Internet connection has developed
    interference on the line (such as a rural phone line where your
    neighbour has started using an electric fence).

    > I also get email lag in Outlook Express 6, sometimes it
    > will say something like server not found and I'll have to manually select
    > receive and emails will come through.
    >
    > I am running XP SP 3, Verizon Internet Security Suite, and Firefox (latest
    > version) for browsing and OE 6 for email/ groups. I have tried all sorts of
    > troubleshooting as suggested on various websites, but to no avail.

    If you have tried anything other than those given below, could you tell
    us (the newsgroup) so we don't waste time suggesting things which you have
    already tried.

    > I have
    > uninstalled Firefox from "program permissions" in Verizon Security Suite and
    > then reinstalled but no effect.

    OK.

    > I have also tried some advanced network
    > troubleshooting techniques as suggested at Microsoft, but no help.

    Sometimes such problems can be fixed by changing things on your computer;
    other times they are things outside your computer.

    > I am suspecting maybe Verizon Internet Security Suite is interferring
    > somehow, but I don't know how to troubleshoot further other than what I have
    > already done.
    >
    > The problem makes it almost impossible to download files and many times I
    > have to refresh several times before I get the opportunity to download a
    > file.
    >
    > So the bottom line is that Firefox and OE 6 work, but very sluggishly and
    > reloading/ refreshing many times before finally getting email and or getting
    > to websites. As I say, it's been going on for about a year.

    What type of Internet connection do you have? If it is DSL or dial-up,
    how far are you from the telephone exchange?

    I had sometimes seen problems like this on my wireless Internet
    connection, but moving to where I use a different radio mast fixed
    the problem. It seems that one radio mast is congested, while
    another is not.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph