    now it's dissapeared. Any pointers to what could cause this?

    Thanks
    Kev

    Kev, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Try in "My Nerwork places" open "Entire network" and open "Microsoft Windows
    Network" it should show you your Domain

    Armen

    Armen Kirakosyan, Jun 20, 2005

  3. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hi Armen, thanks for that.

    But in the domain all the client PC's are showing, just the server which
    isnt.

    Any ideas?

    Kev

    Kev, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Ok
    is the option "Client for microsoft networks" checked?

    Armen Kirakosyan, Jun 20, 2005
  5. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Yeah it's ticked.
    No idea why it's happened, a re-boot doesn't fix it either.

    Kev, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Kev

    Kev Guest

    As an update, under network places the Domain shows NO computers at all.
    However in Network places on the clients all machines are available, apart
    from the server.
    Everything is working fine and the server has been in use for a year, what
    has caused this?
    HELP !

    Kev, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Kev

    Ben Smith Guest

    In article <d95t56$9hu$1$>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > As the subject line mentions, in network places the server doesn't appear.
    > However if you enter the unc path \\server\data then your in no problems.
    >
    > What could cause it to not show within the network places? It used to but
    > now it's dissapeared. Any pointers to what could cause this?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kev

    You have an issue with the Browser service. There needs to be at least
    on Master Browser on each segment.

    Ben Smith, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hi, theres only one segment and the Computer Browser service is set to
    automatic and is started. I re-started the service to no avail and theres no
    errors in Event Viewer.

    Kev

    "Ben Smith" <> wrote in message
    In article <d95t56$9hu$1$>,
    says...

    Kev, Jun 20, 2005
  9. Kev

    kpg Guest

    > Hi, theres only one segment and the Computer Browser service is set to
    > automatic and is started. I re-started the service to no avail and theres
    > no
    > errors in Event Viewer.

    I've had the same problem. It is a Browser issue, I'm sure. I've set
    the sever as the master Browser, and set the XP Pro machines to
    not be a browser but it still happens. In my case, I think it happens
    when a machine has taken on the role of Master Browser but now
    it is not online, and until a new election takes place the missing
    machine(s) are not visible (but are accessible). Very annoying.

    Possible solution: Force a browser election. (but I'm not sure how
    to do that...)

    kp "for what it's worth" g

    kpg, Jun 20, 2005
  10. I had a similar issue several months ago with one server where we experienced
    similar symptions during failover testing. It turned out WINS wasn't
    configured correctly that caused some cascading issues for our DR server.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmN6eXpld3NraQ==?=, Jun 20, 2005
  11. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Yep that sounds very possible. Anyone else know how to set the master
    browser?

    Kev, Jun 20, 2005
  12. Kev

    Briscobar Guest

    In news:u8Idv$,
    kpg <> rambled:

    > Possible solution: Force a browser election. (but I'm not sure how
    > to do that...)

    Yeah, aside from playing the waiting game, this may be the best option. The
    OP can use a resource kit program called Browstat (IIRC) to force an
    election.

    Also, he (I'm talking to you, OP!) can edit this registry key

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\IsDo
    mainMasterBrowser (Or IsDomainMaster) on a bunch of machines to make them
    NOT become Master Browsers. This will never solve the issue, but it will
    make it rear its ugly head less frequently, I imagine.

    Also,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\Main
    tainServerList is worth looking at as well. It's not very intuitive (to me,
    anyway) what the difference is between these two reg keys. TechNet might be
    able to help with that more than I can. I'm just a stupid poo poo head.

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26

    Briscobar, Jun 20, 2005
  13. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hi,

    Not convinced it's WINS as the clients are all XP with no other symptoms.
    It's worked fine for the last year, and only started playing up. After a
    client roll out of XP, so it looks as if it does have something to do with
    the browser service and XP

    Kev

    Kev, Jun 20, 2005
  14. See the link below on how to troubleshoot the browser service including how
    to use browstat tool.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;188305

    If a computer does not show up verify that netbios over tcp/ip is enabled on
    it and use the command net config server to see if it is configured to be
    hidden. Also when you run the command nbtstat -n on a computer you generally
    should see at least three NBT name registrations for server, workstation,
    and workgroup/domain. By default the pdc fsmo in a domain is the domain
    master browser. That computer should not be multihomed or be a rras server.
    I would also run the support tool netdiag [on pdc fsmo and problem server]
    on it to check for any related problems and look in the system/application
    logs for any pertinent events particularly related to browser events. The
    computer browser service must be enabled and started on the pdc fsmo. Your
    pdc fsmo also needs to b a wins client [assuming wins is being used which
    would be smart if still using NBT] and if it is a wins server make sure it
    is a client only to itself. You can check the wins database for master
    browser entries to make sure they are correct and verify that the wins
    server is working correctly. Netbios over tcp/ip naming uses port 137 udp
    and the browser service uses port 138 udp. Anything that can filter those
    ports such as host firewall, internet "protection package" or ipsec policy
    can cause problems with the browse list which is what you are seeing in My
    Network Places. You must be able to ping the wins server from any domain
    computer using it and you can use the tool portqry to verify that the
    necessary ports are available on your computers. Hope this gets you started.
    If problems persist you may want to use netmon or Ethereal to do packet
    traces for port 137/138 udp traffic on affected computers. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=832919 --- portqry

    Steven L Umbach, Jun 20, 2005
  15. Kev

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Briscobar" <> say in

    > Also, he (I'm talking to you, OP!) can edit this registry key
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
    > \IsDo mainMasterBrowser (Or IsDomainMaster) on a bunch of machines to
    > make them NOT become Master Browsers. This will never solve the issue,
    > but it will make it rear its ugly head less frequently, I imagine.
    >
    > Also,
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
    > \Main tainServerList is worth looking at as well. It's not very
    > intuitive (to me, anyway) what the difference is between these two reg
    > keys. TechNet might be able to help with that more than I can. I'm
    > just a stupid poo poo head.

    from http://www.interex.org/pubcontent/enterprise/sep01/ntqa0901b.jsp:

    "Specifying Browser Computers
    When you start a computer running Windows 2000, the browser service looks
    in the registry for the entry MaintainServerList to determine whether a
    computer will become a browser. MaintainServerList is found in the
    following registry subkey:

    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

    \Browser\Parameters

    Possible values for MaintainServerList are as follows:

    Value: No

    This value prevents the computer from participating as a browser.

    Value: Yes [Default]

    This value makes the computer a browser. Upon startup, the computer
    attempts to contact the master browser to get a current browse list. If
    the master browser cannot be found, the server will force a browser
    election. The computer will either be elected master browser or become a
    backup browser. This value is the default on a computer running Windows
    2000 Server and Windows NT Server.

    Value: Auto

    This value makes the computer a potential browser. It might become a
    browser, depending on the number of currently active browsers. The master
    browser notifies this computer whether or not it is to become a backup
    browser. This value is the default for computers running Windows 2000
    Professional and Windows NT Workstation.

    On any computer with the value of MaintainServerList set to Yes or Auto,
    the browser service starts when the computer is booted.

    When experiencing continual or intermittent problems with browser
    functionality, you may want to dedicate computers to the browsing process
    on each network subnet to maintain a consistent domain-wide list. When
    the browser service is started on the preferred master browser, the
    browser service forces an election. Preferred master browsers are given
    priority in elections, which means the preferred master browser always
    wins the election if no other condition prevents it. This gives an
    administrator the ability to configure a specific computer as the master
    browser.

    The subkey IsDomainMaster, helps determine which servers become master
    browsers and backup browsers. Setting the value of IsDomainMaster to True
    gives the server preference during elections in becoming the master
    browser for the network subnet. Any computer running Windows 2000 or
    Windows NT can be configured as a preferred master browser. If servers
    are frequently shut down and restarted, consider placing a BDC or a
    Windows NT member server on each network subnet with the value of the
    IsDomainMaster entry in the computer's registry set to True. To specify a
    computer as the preferred master browser, set the value of the
    IsDomainMaster entry to True. This entry (data type Reg_SZ) appears in
    the following registry subkey:

    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

    \Browser\Parameters

    Unless the computer is configured as the preferred master browser, the
    value of the IsDomainMaster entry is always set to False or No. There is
    no user interface for making these changes; the registry must be modified
    using a registry editor (Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe).

    The browser service is very sensitive to the configuration of routers on
    an IP intranet. Since the browser roles are determined by broadcast
    elections, UDP broadcasts must not be forwarded. Unpredictable behavior
    can occur if UDP broadcast traffic is forwarded in one direction but not
    the other. This can cause a continuous cycle of elections.

    In Windows 2000 an additional registry entry can be added to change how
    often a browser announces itself. This can be accomplished by adding the
    registry entry called Announce with a value that has the REG_DWORD data
    type. Set the value of the Announce entry to the number of seconds that
    the browser should wait between announcements. The Announce registry
    entry can be added to the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

    lanmanserver\parameters

    For example, if the value of the Announce entry is set to 720 (default),
    the announcement interval is 12 minutes. Before the new value can be used
    by all computers, the value of the Announce entry must be changed on all
    computers in the workgroup. As you decrease this value, announcement
    traffic increases. Increasing the value of Announce reduces the amount of
    announcement traffic, but it increases the length of time that an
    unavailable computer appears on the browse list.

    You can monitor the master and backup browsers within a workgroup or
    domain with the command-line tool Browstat.exe. In addition to gathering
    information on browser functionality, Browstat.exe has the ability to
    force an election and the ability to force a master browser to stop so
    that an election occurs."

    and to weigh in with my 2¥, yes it is likely a browser issue. If there is
    any chance that the systems (Domain controllers and workstations) are on
    separate segments, have at least one machine (prefereably 2) that do not
    get turned off set as master browsers in each segment (the
    MaintainServerList YES). A second to act as the Backup Browser should
    also be set. (in truth the Master browser sends requests to backup
    browsers so that the master browser can maintain the list of servers).
    Additionally the workstations will only appear if they are sharing
    something (if you have file and print sharing enabled and the Server
    Service started).

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Never start a project until you've picked out someone to blame.

    Neil, Jun 20, 2005
  16. Kev

    catwalker63 Guest

    Thank you professor. <eg>

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jun 20, 2005
  17. Kev

    Neil Guest

    did you hear catwalker63 <> say in

    > Thank you professor. <eg>

    um, that's Dr. Stupid...

    http://ourworld.cs.com/WeezelX/rs/drstupid.wav

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Psychology: the study of the id by the odd.

    Neil, Jun 20, 2005
  18. Kev

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?cmN6eXpld3NraQ==?="
    <> say in news:890C5615-51DA-4297-
    :

    > It turned out WINS wasn't
    > configured correctly that caused some cascading issues for our DR

    server.

    in a routed enviornment the WINS Server provides additional "helpers" to
    the Domain Master Browser (which maintains a list of Master Browsers from
    each segment). The Domain Master Browser should be a DC (hopefully these
    are not rebooted regularly) and if you are supporting downlevel clients,
    you should enable WINS on all of the servers.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Ward, weren't you a little hard on the Beaver last night?

    Neil, Jun 20, 2005
  19. Kev

    catwalker63 Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in