Server messing up...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dadiOH, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. dadiOH

    dadiOH Guest

    I use VerizonDSL as an ISP and have a web page there. On that page are
    three download links...
    one is a zip file
    one is a standard Windows help file (*.hlp)
    one is a standard Windows help contents file (*.cnt)

    The link for the zip works fine but the *.hlp and *.cnt files are served as
    *.htm; i.e., instead of downloading they are opened as text in the browser.
    If right clicked and "save target as" they download as htm files. If those
    files have their extensions changed to the correct one after downloading
    they are fine. Anyone know why Verizon serves them as *.htm and how to fix
    it? All worked fine until a month or so ago...

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
    dadiOH, Oct 6, 2004

  2. dadiOH

    °Mike° Guest

    Some file types are regarded as dangerous; serve
    them all up inside of .zip files.

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:03:01 -0400, in
    <>
    dadiOH scrawled:

    >I use VerizonDSL as an ISP and have a web page there. On that page are
    >three download links...
    > one is a zip file
    > one is a standard Windows help file (*.hlp)
    > one is a standard Windows help contents file (*.cnt)
    >
    >The link for the zip works fine but the *.hlp and *.cnt files are served as
    >*.htm; i.e., instead of downloading they are opened as text in the browser.
    >If right clicked and "save target as" they download as htm files. If those
    >files have their extensions changed to the correct one after downloading
    >they are fine. Anyone know why Verizon serves them as *.htm and how to fix
    >it? All worked fine until a month or so ago...

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 6, 2004

  3. dadiOH

    Dan Evans Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > I use VerizonDSL as an ISP and have a web page there. On that page are
    > three download links...
    > one is a zip file
    > one is a standard Windows help file (*.hlp)
    > one is a standard Windows help contents file (*.cnt)
    >
    > The link for the zip works fine but the *.hlp and *.cnt files are served

    as
    > *.htm; i.e., instead of downloading they are opened as text in the

    browser.
    > If right clicked and "save target as" they download as htm files. If

    those
    > files have their extensions changed to the correct one after downloading
    > they are fine. Anyone know why Verizon serves them as *.htm and how to

    fix
    > it? All worked fine until a month or so ago...

    Have you recently upgraded Internet Explorer? One of IEs tricks to to ignore
    the mime type sent by the server, and to decide if it (IE) can display the
    content itself. The other possiblility is that Verizon have altered the
    configuration on the server so that .hlp and .cnt files are sent as
    text/plain or text/html

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 6, 2004