Server+ exam...Who's passed ?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by cc0275012, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. cc0275012

    cc0275012 Guest

    Hello all.

    I'm not new to this group. I guess you'd call me a "lurker". This post is
    directed at those who have taken and passed Server+.

    I took the Server+ exam today and I did not pass. I used the Mike Myer's
    Server+ Passport book, the updates to the book they have available on their
    website, the quizzes on freecomptia, and cert21.com. On all the exams, I was
    scoring 85%-95% so I thought I was well prepared. I used these methods to
    study for and pass A+, (each exam on the first attempt) so I thought I was
    on the right track.

    There were absolutely no questions on IDE technology, memory technology,
    clustering. Nothing on the OSI model. When I say "no questions" I mean no
    questions. None. Zero. Zip. The questions on SCSI and RAID were like "What
    is the best RAID solution for this configuration?". I was shocked at this.
    My test was 80% disaster recovery and 20% configuration issues.

    So my question is to all those folks who took and passed this exam...What do
    I study next? If you search CompTIA's website it suggests 4 books for
    self-study, so there isn't much. I found it interesting that the Passport
    book wasn't listed. I'm not much into "braindump" type studying, but I may
    not have a choice since I have about 30 days left to pass.

    Any and all comments, suggestions, assistance at all is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

    cc0275012, Jul 31, 2004

  2. cc0275012

    Mark Guest

    I used the Sybex study guide...and have a whole lot of experience....I
    passed the first time, but it was the toughest Comptia exam I have
    taken...surprised me. The gal at the testing center said very few people do
    good on this exam. It's such a broad subject area.

    --
    Mark
    MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

    Mark, Jul 31, 2004

  3. cc0275012

    cc0275012 Guest

    Thanks for responding !

    I'm looking at either the Server+ Certification Bible or the Sybex Server+
    Study Guide.
    I have enough experience too( or thought I did), but I primarily fix servers
    not install them.
    Now all I need is to find a place when I can get practice exams...Probably
    Preplogic...

    The gal at my testing center didn't seem to surprised either.....

    cc0275012, Aug 1, 2004
  4. cc0275012

    Mark Guest

    For test practice I used vnpublishing...the practice exams are only 19
    dollars and are very through.
    http://www.vnpublishing.com/
    --
    Mark
    MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

    Mark, Aug 1, 2004
  5. cc0275012

    Mark Guest

    Its not vendor specific...so you have to focus on Linux, Novell, and
    Microsoft. Thats what makes it a little tough....wide area for question
    pools.

    --
    Mark
    MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

    Mark, Aug 1, 2004
  6. cc0275012

    cc0275012 Guest

    I guess I'd say I goofed by just using the Passport book. Good book, but it
    didn't follow the objectives. Seems most like the Cybex or the
    Certification Bible.
    One last question....Since I failed it, how long should I study now before I
    retake the test? I would think soon, especially after I bet one of
    those books and finish reading it?

    Thanks for your help.

    cc0275012, Aug 1, 2004
  7. cc0275012

    Mark Guest

    I would say one to two weeks no longer...enough time to read some more
    material and maybe practice exams.

    --
    Mark
    MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

    Mark, Aug 1, 2004
  8. cc0275012

    Brian M. Guest

    Would anyone recommend the Server+ All in One guide by Stephen Bigelow? I'm
    reading it now because I liked Mike Myers "all in one" books for my A+ &
    Net+, but I'm a bit worried because the reader reviews on Amazon.com weren't
    so good. Anyone had any good experiences with the book?

    I'm also contemplating finishing reading this book and then brushing up on
    the objectives for the 2004 beta Server+ exam ($75 for a limited time). It's
    focused more on hardware than troubleshooting scenarios and sounds like fun.
    Is it worth it to be a guinea pig or is it a setup for disaster?

    Brian M.

    Brian M., Aug 1, 2004
  9. cc0275012

    Mark Guest

    Go for the Beta if you feel your ready...I would not think your setting
    yourself up as long as you have studied the objectives.

    --
    Mark
    MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

    Mark, Aug 1, 2004
  10. cc0275012

    cc0275012 Guest

    He wrote the Passport Server+ book. A great book, but in my case, it wasn't
    enough material to pass the test.

    Does anyone know...If you take the 2004 beta exam and pass, do you become
    Server+ certified?

    cc0275012, Aug 1, 2004
  11. cc0275012

    cc0275012 Guest

    I can answer my own question..Yes, if you pass the beta exam you get the
    Server+ certification.

    cc0275012, Aug 1, 2004