    I don't see any mail account settings which could cause a disconnect
    from the mail server after downloading new messages. Am I missing this
    option somewhere, or do I have a different problem? Thanks

    gwtx2, Dec 8, 2004

  2. gwtx2

    Eric Miller Guest

    gwtx2 wrote:
    > I'm on dial-up. When I start Mozilla mail, it asks me for my password,
    > and then proceeds to download my new messages. Afterwards, if I reply
    > or send a new message, it ask me for the password again, but not again
    > if I send a second (or more) message.
    >
    > I don't see any mail account settings which could cause a disconnect
    > from the mail server after downloading new messages. Am I missing this
    > option somewhere, or do I have a different problem? Thanks

    Could you have separate incoming and outgoing mail servers that require
    separate authentication? I do, and this is how it works for me. It
    asks me password once the first time I check incoming mail, and once the
    first time I send mail.

    Go to "View Settings for this Account", and see if the server listed in
    "Outgoing Server" is different from what's in "Server Settings" for your
    mail account.

    -Eric

    Eric Miller, Dec 8, 2004

  3. gwtx2

    gwtx2 Guest

    No, they are the same server. At work, I use Mozilla for personal mail
    and the incoming server is different than the outgoing because the
    company wants to check all mail for virus and stuff. It does not ask
    for a password twice.

    gwtx2, Dec 16, 2004
  4. gwtx2

    Eric Miller Guest

    gwtx2 wrote:
    > No, they are the same server. At work, I use Mozilla for personal mail
    > and the incoming server is different than the outgoing because the
    > company wants to check all mail for virus and stuff. It does not ask
    > for a password twice.

    Are you using SSL for your outgoing server? If so, it seems to me you
    should have to authenticate twice, since the incoming and outgoing ports
    are different even if the server address is the same. That would
    explain why you only have to authenticate on the *first* email you send out.

    If you're not using SSL, then I can't imagine why you're being asked for
    your password at all, since there's no authentication going on and it's
    just a plain SMTP connection. Unless your ISP has some weird configuration.

    I'm just sort of guessing here, anyway....

    -Eric

    Eric Miller, Dec 17, 2004
  5. gwtx2

    gwtx2 Guest

    Good point, but no, I'm not using SSL. I did find the problem, however.
    In Mail and Newsgroup Accounts Settings, under Outgoing Server (SMTP),
    the "Use Name and Password" option should not be checked. I unchecked
    and now it doesn't ask for a password anymore. I'm not sure how it got
    checked since this problem just suddenly appeared. Thanks for your
    help.

    gwtx2, Dec 18, 2004