    hard disk to 40 or 80 gb, are the hard disk detectable?
    if not, does installing IDE card on the pc will help?
    TIA
    WiredMan, Jan 21, 2004

  2. WiredMan

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    WiredMan <> wrote in news::

    > 1)does desktop motherboard fits into server casing(1u casing)?

    Usually no. If it does, you'd have to find some way of making all the
    components not stick up (like HSF, PCI cards, etc).

    > 2) i got old pc (1999 Pentium 3 450Mhz slot 1), if i want to upgrade the
    > hard disk to 40 or 80 gb, are the hard disk detectable?
    > if not, does installing IDE card on the pc will help?

    It may or may not, depending on what brand of motherboard, how old it is,
    and if you have updated it to the latest BIOS. Reguardless of all that, a
    PCI IDE controller card like one made by Promise would allow you to use the
    drive whether your BIOS saw it or not.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004

  3. WiredMan

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > WiredMan <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> 1)does desktop motherboard fits into server casing(1u casing)?

    > Usually no. If it does, you'd have to find some way of making all the
    > components not stick up (like HSF, PCI cards, etc).

    Would it be possible to use riser cards to accomplish this. I've seen
    this done with Mini and Micro ITX PC's. Still, my biggest consern would
    be the power supply with an odd casing. Never really dealt with a rack
    mount.

    >> 2) i got old pc (1999 Pentium 3 450Mhz slot 1), if i want to upgrade
    >> the hard disk to 40 or 80 gb, are the hard disk detectable?
    >> if not, does installing IDE card on the pc will help?

    > It may or may not, depending on what brand of motherboard, how old it
    > is, and if you have updated it to the latest BIOS. Reguardless of
    > all that, a PCI IDE controller card like one made by Promise would
    > allow you to use the drive whether your BIOS saw it or not.

    And would also allow you to boot from that drive

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004