    3. Couldn't use a wireless-G bridge anyway as none of them support WPA-2
    4. None of the wireless vendors seem to produce wireless-N bridges

    Anyone got any clever ideas ???

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=, Jun 28, 2007

  2. Hi
    There is No 802.11n standard, there is a prN/draft gizmos, which I consider
    Marketing devices to keep revenue in check, and not a good technology.
    Since the "N" is Not standard the manufactures do not want to commit
    themselves to more compatibility problem and thus sell only Routers and
    Cards.
    Since the preN price are inflated upward I would use good 802.11g devices.
    Next year there would be good 802.11n solution.
    P.S. The issues motioned by you are 3rd party manufacturers' decisions and
    has nothing to do with Window (any version).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 28, 2007

  3. Jack,

    Thanks for the quick response and much as I expected the answer is 'No'.

    I agree that there is not a current N standard and that this will be
    ratified later and no doubt lead to changes, however I disagree about it not
    being good technology at the moment as my wireless network has improved no
    ends in terms of throughput and range. Also I am using different
    manufacturers (Netgear and Linksys) and they work quite happily (and very
    well) together.

    Given your response, do you expect wireless vendors to release drivers for
    Windows Server 2003 once the N standards are ratified ?

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=, Jun 29, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    The WiFi alliance is starting to certify some draft 2.0 N gear. I
    suspect, but can't guarantee, that the items certified will be
    upgradeable to the final standard. Caveat Emptor.

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=570 (coming real soon now they
    say) is one to look at. Microsoft showed these off at Winhec, they
    do support WPA2, etc.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 29, 2007
  5. Barb,

    Great, thanks for the info - looks very interesting

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=, Jun 29, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    and hot off the presses
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/06-29-2007/0004617938&EDATE=

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 04:06:01 -0700, gary0371
    <> wrote:

    >Barb,
    >
    >Great, thanks for the info - looks very interesting
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> The WiFi alliance is starting to certify some draft 2.0 N gear. I
    >> suspect, but can't guarantee, that the items certified will be
    >> upgradeable to the final standard. Caveat Emptor.
    >>
    >> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=570 (coming real soon now they
    >> say) is one to look at. Microsoft showed these off at Winhec, they
    >> do support WPA2, etc.
    >>
    >> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 04:00:02 -0700, gary0371
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >3. Couldn't use a wireless-G bridge anyway as none of them support WPA-2
    >> >4. None of the wireless vendors seem to produce wireless-N bridges
    >> >
    >> >Anyone got any clever ideas ???

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 29, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=

    Phil Guest

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeTAzNzE=?=

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008