Server 2003 Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Andrew Watiker, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. For the sake of education on server mangament and a diversion I am
    considering installing the 180 day trial of Windows Server 2003. I was
    wondering how possible this would be. This information probably exists
    on the internet but here we go:

    Can I install Windows Server on a spare 19.7GB NTFS partition (drive N:)
    and dual boot with XP Pro?

    Do XP drivers work with Server 2003? I need to get my SATA driver, my
    WUSB11 (prism2 - wireless card) and a Radeon 9600 Pro to work to make it
    worth my time.

    When the 180 day trial expires can I just reformat the partition with
    Server 2K3 and not affect XP?

    What happens if I need to reinstall XP before I am finished trying
    Windows Server?

    I have fast broadband so the download size doesn't bother me.

    My Hardware:

    Gigabyte 8KNXP (875p)
    Intel Pentium4 3.0 Ghz. (Overclock to 3.54 Ghz.)
    1 GB PC3200 RAM
    160 GB SATA Hard Drive [97.7GB C: (NTFS - XP Pro), 3.99GB D: (FAT32),
    25.0GB G: (FAT32), 19.7GB N: (NTFS - For Server 2K3), 1.99GB V: (FAT32)]
    Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro (I would like this driver to support 1280x1024)
    Intergrated Audio
    DVD-ROM
    DVD +/- RW
    Floppy

    Linksys WUSB11 2.5
    HP Photosmart 1000 Printer
    Microtek ScanMaker 5600
    Andrew Watiker, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Andrew Watiker

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Andrew Watiker <> wrote in news:n091c.34481
    $:

    > Can I install Windows Server on a spare 19.7GB NTFS partition (drive N:)
    > and dual boot with XP Pro?

    Yes

    > Do XP drivers work with Server 2003? I need to get my SATA driver, my
    > WUSB11 (prism2 - wireless card) and a Radeon 9600 Pro to work to make it
    > worth my time.

    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Check your vendor

    > When the 180 day trial expires can I just reformat the partition with
    > Server 2K3 and not affect XP?

    Yes.

    > What happens if I need to reinstall XP before I am finished trying
    > Windows Server?

    You will need to go to the 2003 recovery console and set up the dual boot
    again.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)