Server 2003 can't connect through wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Foghorn Leghorn, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn

I have a new server from Dell that runs Windows Server 2003, a DSL modem, and a wireless router from Linksys.

I have the router configured according to the user manual, and I disabled the DHCP server (and other networking components) from the server, so the router will provide DHCP. There's a web-based utility for configuring the router, and it reports that the server is a DHCP client, with IP 192.168.1.100.

I ran IPCONFIG/ALL and the server agrees it has that IP address. And it says the DNS is 192.168.1.254, which is the DNS provided by the router.

Everything looks good as far as I can tell, except for one little thing -- I can't connect to the internet or get email.

I can ping the IP of the router (192.168.1.1) successfully, but can't reach any other address.

What the heck am I doing wrong??
    Foghorn Leghorn, Jul 22, 2006
    1. Advertising

2. Foghorn Leghorn

Aspired

First off - servers should only be run on Static IP's. There services don't agree with Dynamic addressing.

You said "And it says the DNS is 192.168.1.254, which is the DNS provided by the router"

That seems like a strange DNS to be comming from your ISP because the 192.168 is a private internal subnet range. This is were you problem lies, while your linksys can provide DHCP it can't supply DNS. You will either need to run that on you server with a static IP or get it from you ISP.

Plug you PC (not server just a plain old desktop) directly into you modem. Reboot the modem, get connected to the internet (verify by opening a webpage) now go into command prompt and do a ipconfig /all

Copy all info - you should be seeing some different DNS ip's there.

Hook you network back up like you had it before, put those DNS IP's into you routers configuration and see if you server takes that IP,SM,DG,DNS dynamically form the router.

I would actually just set it up statically but that should work for the DHCP way and get you going.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
    Aspired, Jul 23, 2006
    1. Advertising

3. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn

I thought that was only if the DHCP server was installed and running on the server. 'Course, it'd be easy to give the server a fixed IP that matched what the router's DHCP is giving it.

You're right, it's coming from the router, not the ISP.

That's an excellent idea, but I can also call my ISP and get the DNS server addresses directly from them. That's what I'll try when I get a chance.
    Foghorn Leghorn, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn

Solution: My florist shop delivery driver knows an 18 yr. old kid who actually figured it out. There are 5 Ethernet ports on the router, "Internet" and four numbered computer ports. He plugged the DSL modem to one of the numbered ports, plugged the server into another numbered port, and left the Internet port empty. Then he disabled network services on both the server and the router, allowing the DSL to provide DHCP, DNS, etc. I'm running WAP with TKID and a 32-character pass phrase, so the wireless network should be secure enough for my purposes. A very neat solution, which earned the kid $40.
    Foghorn Leghorn, Jul 24, 2006
  5. Foghorn Leghorn

Aspired

Yeah those darn Kids huh
    Aspired, Jul 27, 2006
    1. Advertising