    Thanks

    Leesa (I)
    , Apr 23, 2006

  2. X-No-Archive: YES
    [] has entered into
    testimony

    > I don't know WTF this is, but it's all over the internet. And,
    > whenever I go to a site where there is a link to it, I get
    > disconnected from the internet on my dial-up connection and my
    > computer acts very strange, often needing a reboot.
    >
    > I have all this anti-spyware stuff on my PC including Spybot, Adaware,
    > Spyware Blaster etc.... and they never kill this thing. The browser
    > it doesn't get along with the most is Opera, and that creates a
    > nightmare for me.
    >
    > What happens when you guys go to this link?
    >
    > http://servedb <snip spamvertised link>
    >
    > My PC hangs, and then disconnects. Yet I cannot find many sites that
    > don't have this site linked to it in some way. What is it anyway?
    > And... how can I prevent it from messing up my browsing?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Leesa (I)

    A man goes to the doctor and complains that it hurts every time he holds
    his arm up in a certain, awkward position. The doctor replies, then
    don't hold your arm up like that.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com
    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 23, 2006

  3. John Holmes Guest

    blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I don't know WTF this is, but it's all over the internet. And,
    > whenever I go to a site where there is a link to it, I get disconnected
    > from the internet on my dial-up connection and my computer acts very
    > strange, often needing a reboot.
    >
    > I have all this anti-spyware stuff on my PC including Spybot, Adaware,
    > Spyware Blaster etc.... and they never kill this thing. The browser
    > it doesn't get along with the most is Opera, and that creates a
    > nightmare for me.
    >
    > What happens when you guys go to this link?
    >
    > http://servedby.advertising.com/*
    >
    > My PC hangs, and then disconnects. Yet I cannot find many sites that
    > don't have this site linked to it in some way. What is it anyway?
    > And... how can I prevent it from messing up my browsing?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Leesa (I)

    Then don't click on the link, you fucking mad cow.

    --
    Your mother was a stoned pygmy who contracted venereal diseases in caves.
    John Holmes, Apr 23, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > I don't know WTF this is, but it's all over the internet. And,
    > whenever I go to a site where there is a link to it, I get
    > disconnected from the internet on my dial-up connection and my
    > computer acts very strange, often needing a reboot.

    How about if you list a URL to a site where this occurs?

    > I have all this anti-spyware stuff on my PC including Spybot,
    > Adaware, Spyware Blaster etc.... and they never kill this thing.
    > The browser it doesn't get along with the most is Opera, and that
    > creates a nightmare for me.

    It isn't spyware, as far as I can tell, so those programs won't find
    anything. It's just common web site advertising.

    > What happens when you guys go to this link?
    >
    > http://servedby.advertising.com/

    I removed the asterisk from your link.

    Well, that didn't make a difference. All I see is .. a blank browser
    window. Absolutely nothing is returned.

    Oh wait. I know why! That domain/subdomain is in my HOSTS file.

    > My PC hangs, and then disconnects. Yet I cannot find many sites that
    > don't have this site linked to it in some way. What is it anyway?
    > And... how can I prevent it from messing up my browsing?

    Add the following to your HOSTS file:

    127.0.0.1 servedby.advertising.com

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#hosts

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2006
  5. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-23, <> wrote:
    > I don't know WTF this is, but it's all over the internet. And,

    'That' is called 'advertising'.

    > whenever I go to a site where there is a link to it, I get disconnected
    > from the internet on my dial-up connection and my computer acts very
    > strange, often needing a reboot.

    Don't go 'there'.

    > I have all this anti-spyware stuff on my PC including Spybot, Adaware,
    > Spyware Blaster etc.... and they never kill this thing. The browser
    > it doesn't get along with the most is Opera, and that creates a
    > nightmare for me.

    You could try Firefox. Then download an extension called AdBlocker.

    > What happens when you guys go to this link?
    >
    > http://servedby.advertising.com/*

    I would never intentionally go to a site named anything like it. (unless I
    was looking for an IP addressor contact info to lart the fools)

    > My PC hangs, and then disconnects. Yet I cannot find many sites that
    > don't have this site linked to it in some way. What is it anyway?
    > And... how can I prevent it from messing up my browsing?

    'That' is called 'advertising'. :)

    > Thanks
    >
    > Leesa (I)

    Seriously: They are a company that puts a "tracking cookie" on your computer
    and then follows you around 'the web' shoving ads in your face. Here's a
    short little diddly about them:
    http://www.advertising.com/ConsumerIssues.html

    Some browsers/addons/OS's might choke if 'popups' are blocked and you get
    one forced on you or it gets blocked but you don't get the page rendering
    you were expecting and *you* tell your browser to reload.

    You could try an experiment with Firefox: set block popups, refuse cookies
    (also clear all cookies), turn off Java, Java scripting. Install the
    extension 'AdBlocker', then go surf the web. If a site misbehaves then you
    can decide whether they are worth it to let them set cookies, turn on Java,
    etc. for example. After that single site has been allowed to set cookies
    then go 'home', look at the cookies and see what they stuffed there.

    Any site that tries to do me what you are describing goes in my web
    equivalent of the killfile. There is so much 'out there' that you won't be
    missing a thing. (YMMV)

    --
    "The Godfather":
    Clemenza to Sonny: "Who? "ServedbyAdvertising"? You won't be seein' him no
    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  6. Jimchip wrote:

    > You could try an experiment with Firefox: set block popups, refuse
    > cookies (also clear all cookies), turn off Java, Java scripting.
    > Install the extension 'AdBlocker', then go surf the web.

    You can also add the PrefBar extension, so as to put the toggling of
    those things right there in front of you. Makes it easy for when you get
    to a site that 1.) you trust and 2.) needs them.

    http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    and with the customize dialog open:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/images/prefbar.png

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2006
  7. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-23, <> wrote:
    > I don't know WTF this is, but it's all over the internet. And,
    > whenever I go to a site where there is a link to it, I get disconnected
    > from the internet on my dial-up connection and my computer acts very
    > strange, often needing a reboot.
    >
    > I have all this anti-spyware stuff on my PC including Spybot, Adaware,
    > Spyware Blaster etc.... and they never kill this thing. The browser
    > it doesn't get along with the most is Opera, and that creates a
    > nightmare for me.
    >
    > What happens when you guys go to this link?
    >
    > http://servedby.advertising.com/*

    That looks to me like a completely empty page; nothing there at all.

    > My PC hangs, and then disconnects. Yet I cannot find many sites that
    > don't have this site linked to it in some way. What is it anyway?
    > And... how can I prevent it from messing up my browsing?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Leesa (I)

    There is something broken about the way servedby.advertising design the
    content they want to provide for their advertisements, which seems to
    cause problems for some people. They do also seem to have a history of
    using 'spyware'. You are keeping your adware, spyware, and anti-virus,
    tools up-to-date at least every week, aren't you?

    If you don't actually want to see adverts from servedby.advertising, add
    the URL to your 'hosts' file with a re-direction to 127.0.0.1 or use
    Opera's own filter.ini file.

    See also <http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453060812>;
    you may well have picked up a 'tracking cookie'.

    In Opera, you can use 'Tools - Advanced - Cookies' to see what cookies are
    active for Opera, and delete any you don't want. I have 'Tools -
    Preferences - Advanced - Cookies' set to 'Delete new cookies when exiting
    Opera', so that no cookies last long for me :))

    I also have Opera running with 'Java', 'JavaScript', 'Plugins', and
    'images', all disabled by default - and 'pop-ups' set to 'block unwanted
    pop-ups'. That seems to clean up web pages quite a lot, as well as cut
    out pointless traffic on my internet connection - and I can easily
    enable the features I want for a particular page using the F12 key or
    Opera short-cuts, or the buttons I've put on my customised toolbars.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 23, 2006
  8. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-23, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > Jimchip wrote:
    >
    >> You could try an experiment with Firefox: set block popups, refuse
    >> cookies (also clear all cookies), turn off Java, Java scripting.
    >> Install the extension 'AdBlocker', then go surf the web.

    > You can also add the PrefBar extension, so as to put the toggling of
    > those things right there in front of you. Makes it easy for when you get
    > to a site that 1.) you trust and 2.) needs them.
    >
    > http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
    > and with the customize dialog open:
    > http://k75s.home.att.net/images/prefbar.png

    That is a good one but it doesn't suit my preferences. AdBlocker shows up in
    the status bar (which I like having visible anyway) but the prefbar is an
    extra bar under the bookmark bar (AFAIK) and I like the bars 'up top' to be
    a minimum. I don't even have a nav tool bar showing-- I use alt-arrow
    commands from the keyboard, for example. I have a bookmarks bar showing and
    Forecastfox sits there, too :)

    --
    I sure do like Firefox.
    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  9. Jimchip wrote:

    > On 2006-04-23, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    >> Jimchip wrote:
    >>
    >>> You could try an experiment with Firefox: set block popups, refuse
    >>> cookies (also clear all cookies), turn off Java, Java scripting.
    >>> Install the extension 'AdBlocker', then go surf the web.

    >> You can also add the PrefBar extension, so as to put the toggling of
    >> those things right there in front of you. Makes it easy for when you
    >> get to a site that 1.) you trust and 2.) needs them.
    >>
    >> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/ and with the customize dialog open:
    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/images/prefbar.png

    > That is a good one but it doesn't suit my preferences. AdBlocker
    > shows up in the status bar (which I like having visible anyway) but
    > the prefbar is an extra bar under the bookmark bar (AFAIK) and I like
    > the bars 'up top' to be a minimum.

    Get a taller monitor! ;-)

    The extra bar doesn't bother me much at all; in fact I have Chris
    Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar there as well.
    http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    > I don't even have a nav tool bar showing-- I use alt-arrow commands
    > from the keyboard, for example. I have a bookmarks bar showing and
    > Forecastfox sits there, too :)

    Yeah, ForecastFox is a nice extension. I have looked at it, but decided
    against using it. I do have a link to my local weather on my local
    custom start page, or ... I just look out the window. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2006
  10. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-23, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > Jimchip wrote:

    >>> You can also add the PrefBar extension, so as to put the toggling of
    >>> those things right there in front of you. Makes it easy for when you
    >>> get to a site that 1.) you trust and 2.) needs them.
    >>>
    >>> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/ and with the customize dialog open:
    >>> http://k75s.home.att.net/images/prefbar.png

    >> That is a good one but it doesn't suit my preferences. AdBlocker
    >> shows up in the status bar (which I like having visible anyway) but
    >> the prefbar is an extra bar under the bookmark bar (AFAIK) and I like
    >> the bars 'up top' to be a minimum.

    > Get a taller monitor! ;-)
    >
    > The extra bar doesn't bother me much at all; in fact I have Chris
    > Pederick's Web Developer Toolbar there as well.
    > http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
    >
    >> I don't even have a nav tool bar showing-- I use alt-arrow commands
    >> from the keyboard, for example. I have a bookmarks bar showing and
    >> Forecastfox sits there, too :)

    > Yeah, ForecastFox is a nice extension. I have looked at it, but decided
    > against using it. I do have a link to my local weather on my local
    > custom start page, or ... I just look out the window. <g>

    Ahh, but we're going to take a bit of a drive today and I just type in the
    zipcode of the destination-- I've been watching the weather 'down' there.

    --
    Eric Cartman: "Sweeet!"
    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  11. Plato Guest

    Plato, Apr 23, 2006
  12. Plato wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> What happens when you guys go to this link?
    >>
    >> http://servedby.advertising.com/*

    > Sounds like a spam link. I'd NEVER even click on it.

    The above link does nothing.

    I believe the OP's use of the asterisk is because all of the links to
    servedby.advertising.com/ always include directories/subdirectories and
    ad pages set up for the client that hired them.

    Anyway, just put it in your HOSTS file and never be bothered with them
    again.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2006
  13. Guest

    Thanks... For all the replies. I will implement some of the
    suggestions.

    BTW.... I don't even have to CLICK on that link to have problems with
    it. It seems ANY page that has an association with that link will be
    problematic for me.

    The page will begin loading in just fine and I will see in my status
    bar that SERVEDBY ADVERTISING is sending me information or whatever it
    says and that does it... either a disconnect or a hang or other weird
    crap.

    Thanks so much.

    LEESA (I)
    , Apr 24, 2006
  14. Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-24, <> wrote:
    > Thanks... For all the replies. I will implement some of the
    > suggestions.
    >
    > BTW.... I don't even have to CLICK on that link to have problems with
    > it. It seems ANY page that has an association with that link will be
    > problematic for me.

    You have the "SERVEDBY ADVERTISING" pest installed on your computer.
    First run AdAware to get rid of it. Then you can play with the other
    suggestions.

    --
    "SERVEDBY JIMCHIP" :)
    Jimchip, Apr 24, 2006