Seriously on the Netiquette

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by woo, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. woo

    woo Guest

    I have checked the real netiquette, and it has changed a lot since I last read it.
    My main concern is that Google does not respect privacy, and here is Rule 8
    asking people to respect privacy.

    I wrote that we own the messages, certainly the poster, and yet Google archives
    and distributes messages. Though Google claims that a message is still owned
    by the poster, it archives them as a private business, and distributes them for the
    public, be it my mother's posts or anybodies, a certain privacy is being disrespected.
    Why? Because what probably the real netiquette fails to mention, is that most
    messages are of discussions regarding personal, private interests. And distributing
    such materials infringes on human dignity. I don't know how to explain it better
    today, I wrote about this, and there is not much we can do really, other than
    perhaps acknowledge that Google is indeed in violation of people's privacy.
    Not everybody wishes to make history with every keystroke typed. Some turn
    to usenet for a question, a question, as this one, is really a question about why
    Google sells what is not for sale. Some threads may be of general interests, but
    Google cannot declare usenet and all its threads as a historical significance that
    MUST be archived and shared and distributed freely. The simple answer is NO.
    No, because I have seen Ceaucescu wishing the same street camera system for
    applied to all people. How much clearer can I get?

    From the original version, rule #8, and as always, companies are not asked to
    abide to the netiquette:

    Rule 8: Respect other people's privacy
    Of course, you'd never dream of going through your colleagues' desk drawers. So naturally you wouldn't read their email either.

    Unfortunately, a lot of people would. This topic actually rates a separate section. For now, here's a cautionary tale. I call it

    The case of the snoopy foreign correspondent

    In 1993, a highly regarded foreign correspondent in the Moscow bureau of the Los Angeles Times was caught reading his coworkers'
    email. His colleagues became suspicious when system records showed that someone had logged in to check their email at times when
    they knew they hadn't been near the computer. So they set up a sting operation. They planted false information in messages from
    another one of the paper's foreign bureaus. The reporter read the notes and later asked colleagues about the false information.
    Bingo! As a disciplinary measure, he was immediately reassigned to another position at the paper's Los Angeles bureau.

    The moral: Failing to respect other people's privacy is not just bad Netiquette. It could also cost you your job.
    woo, Nov 8, 2005