Serious wireless connectivity problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by djgabby, May 28, 2010.

  1. djgabby

    djgabby

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    First and foremost thanks in advance to anyone that can help me solve this problem. It is really starting to drive me crazy. I have an HP Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, I have a built in wireless adapter and up until about a year ago it was working fine. I used a public WiFi hotspot and I honestly think it crashed my adapter because it has never worked since then. At the time I didn't think it was anything major.
    I can be right next to a wireless router (home) and one laptop shows excellent signal and my HP will show excellent strength...that is until I hit connect...Then it throws up a "Windows cannot connect to".
    I click on Diagnose the problem button and tells me "Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point"
    I search for wireless again and it shows the same thing but this time the one I want to connect to is now low signal strength... I have tried a signal booster and I have tweeked every setting I can think of. I am lost. Below is a partial of my ipconfig and my whole event log. (btw it is the same event log everytime I try to connect to the same wireless connection)

    I ran ipconfig /all and my wireless part is as follows:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Xengabby-laptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Networking
    [ Guid] {36c23e18-0e66-11d9-bbeb-505054503030}
    EventID 6100
    Version 0
    Level 4
    Task 12
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x4000000000000002
    TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2010-05-28T19:47:37.970Z
    EventRecordID 110433
    Correlation
    [ ActivityID] {E3C3235D-A145-4653-96D0-4B65A10B8578}
    Execution
    [ ProcessID] 1428
    [ ThreadID] 3100
    Channel System
    Computer Laptop
    Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-19
    EventData
    HelperClassName RNWF MSM Helper Class
    EventDescription Wireless Diagnostic Helper Class Event For complete information about this session see the Wireless Diagnostic Informational Event.
    Helper Class: Native WiFi MSM
    Initialize status: Success Information for connection being diagnosed Interface
    GUID: 62817a68-3074-4e07-8417-4f39d20b6c9a
    Interface name: Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n
    WiFi Adapter Interface type: Native
    WiFi Profile: Discovery connection
    SSID: hhonors
    SSID length: 7
    Connection mode: Infra
    Security: No
    Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No
    Result of diagnosis: Problem found
    Root cause: Windows cannot connect to "hhonors"
    Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point.
    Detailed root cause: Wireless association to this network failed. Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or accesspoint.
    Repair option: Click for information on troubleshooting low wireless signal quality problems
    I hope all this information helps ya'll to help me take care of this annoying problem. If need be I will restore my OS but that is my last resort.
    DJGabby
    djgabby, May 28, 2010