    <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 15, 2013

  2. peternew

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <>
    wrote:

    >i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling the
    >entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    >
    ><http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
    started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
    an additional $20 off through the NIK site. So, I bought it at
    $129.00.

    So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
    images. (My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
    works a treat.

    I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
    black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop. I've tried Color
    Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it. It seems better for
    special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
    processing.

    I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet. I understand the basics, but I'm
    going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.

    I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
    railroad boxcar. Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
    and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
    reveal only the door. I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/i-442j3mX/0/XL/2013-06-12-1-XL.jpg

    This one was really for practice. I'd like the same shot with some
    better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 15, 2013

  3. peternew

    otter Guest

    On Jun 14, 9:09 pm, Tony Cooper <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling the
    > >entire Nk suite for $149.  this represents a drastic price drop.

    > ><http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    > You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
    > started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
    > an additional $20 off through the NIK site.  So, I bought it at
    > $129.00.
    >
    > So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
    > images.  (My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
    > works a treat.
    >
    > I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
    > black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop.  I've tried Color
    > Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it.  It seems better for
    > special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
    > processing.
    >
    > I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet.  I understand the basics, but I'm
    > going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.
    >
    > I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
    > railroad boxcar.  Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
    > and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
    > reveal only the door.  I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/i-442j3mX/0/XL/...
    >
    > This one was really for practice.  I'd like the same shot with some
    > better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony, no criticism, but just curious. Why didn't you just add a layer
    mask to the Nik treated layer and blend it directly with the
    background layer, rather than duplicating the background layer,
    placing it above the Nik layer adding a mask to it and then blending?

    Where did you find the online coupon?
    otter, Jun 15, 2013
  4. peternew

    David Taylor Guest

    On 15/06/2013 02:57, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-14 18:47:01 -0700, peternew <> said:
    >
    >> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
    >> the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    >>
    >> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    > For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

    ... only if you already have the overpriced Adobe software for which it
    is a set of plug-ins?
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jun 15, 2013
  5. peternew

    nospam Guest

    In article <kph1op$8es$>, David Taylor
    <> wrote:

    > >> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
    > >> the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    > >>
    > >> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    > > For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

    > .. only if you already have the overpriced Adobe software for which it
    > is a set of plug-ins?

    nope. it also works with elements, which is dirt cheap, as well as
    lightroom and aperture, both of which are reasonably priced, and the
    latter isn't adobe at all.
    nospam, Jun 15, 2013
  6. peternew

    otter Guest

    On Jun 15, 1:49 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2013-06-14 23:35:57 -0700, otter <> said:
    >

    > > On Jun 14, 9:09 pm, Tony Cooper <> wrote:

    > >> You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
    > >> started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
    > >> an additional $20 off through the NIK site.  So, I bought it at
    > >> $129.00.

    > >> So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
    > >> images.  (My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
    > >> works a treat.

    > >> I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
    > >> black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop.  I've tried Color
    > >> Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it.  It seems better for
    > >> special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
    > >> processing.

    > >> I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet.  I understand the basics, but I'm
    > >> going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.

    > >> I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
    > >> railroad boxcar.  Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
    > >> and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
    > >> reveal only the door.  I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.

    > >>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/i-442j3mX/0/XL/....

    > >> This one was really for practice.  I'd like the same shot with some
    > >> better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
    > >> --
    > >> Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    > > Tony, no criticism, but just curious.  Why didn't you just add a layer
    > > mask to the Nik treated layer and blend it directly with the
    > > background layer, rather than duplicating the background layer,
    > > placing it above the Nik layer adding a mask to it and then blending?

    > Hell! With any of the NIK suite modules all you have to do is
    > selectively apply the effect with a brush, as the NIK application adds
    > a layer mask of it own.

    Thanks, good to know.

    > > Where did you find the online coupon?

    Googled Nik coupon and found it. Now playing with my new software.
    So far, I like it.
    otter, Jun 15, 2013
  7. peternew

    David Taylor Guest

    On 15/06/2013 07:52, Savageduck wrote:
    []
    > The NIK Suite works with PS Elements, Lightroom, Photoshop, & Aperture.
    > Each also functions as a stand alone adjustment/processing tool.

    Thanks, but it still requires that you install and learn the Adobe
    software, which I neither have nor want.

    Please explain how it works stand-alone - do you mean without the Adobe
    software?
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jun 15, 2013
  8. peternew

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 15 Jun 2013 in rec.photo.digital, David Taylor wrote:

    > On 15/06/2013 07:52, Savageduck wrote:
    > []
    >> The NIK Suite works with PS Elements, Lightroom, Photoshop, &
    >> Aperture. Each also functions as a stand alone
    >> adjustment/processing tool.

    > Thanks, but it still requires that you install and learn the Adobe
    > software, which I neither have nor want.
    >
    > Please explain how it works stand-alone - do you mean without the
    > Adobe software?

    Yes. You just start up the NIK software as you would any other piece of
    software, open the image file, and work on it. You don't need any other
    software installed, so NIK could be your sole image-processing suite.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/
    Joe Makowiec, Jun 15, 2013
  9. peternew

    otter Guest

    On Jun 15, 2:45 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2013-06-15 00:33:37 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>said:

    > >> the

    > >> .

    > >> Thanks, good to know.

    > >> Googled Nik coupon and found it.  Now playing with my new software.
    > >> So far, I like it.

    > > It is well worthwhile to check some of the training videos from the
    > > learn section of their website.

    > This one deals with brushing in the effect.
    > <http://education.niksoftware.com/training/index.php/webinars/archives...

    Thanks, that is very helpful. I can see a fair bit of learning curve
    ahead.
    otter, Jun 15, 2013
  10. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/14/2013 10:09 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling the
    >> entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    >>
    >> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    > You have been sleeping. It's been advertised for over a month. I
    > started to buy it at $149 and then found an online coupon that gave me
    > an additional $20 off through the NIK site. So, I bought it at
    > $129.00.
    >
    > So far, I've used the Dfine 2 (noise removal) module on several
    > images. (My Nikon, at an ISO of 400, adds noise...badly.) Dfine 2
    > works a treat.
    >
    > I've tried Silver Efex Pro 4 with some success, but I still like doing
    > black and white conversions on my own in Photoshop. I've tried Color
    > Efex Pro 4, but only saved one image using it. It seems better for
    > special effects like high key than it does for just regular color
    > processing.
    >
    > I haven't figured out Viveza 2 yet. I understand the basics, but I'm
    > going to have to watch some videos before I get comfortable with it.
    >
    > I used Color Efex Pro 4's "Detail Extractor" on this image of a
    > railroad boxcar. Then, I duplicated the unadjusted Background layer
    > and placed it above the NIK treated layer and use a Layer Mask to
    > reveal only the door. I wanted the area to the left to be as-shot.
    >
    > http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Photography/Miscellanea/i-442j3mX/0/XL/2013-06-12-1-XL.jpg
    >
    > This one was really for practice. I'd like the same shot with some
    > better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.

    I like it, though I would have removed the sign.
    Here's my version:
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 15, 2013
  11. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/15/2013 3:06 AM, otter wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 1:49 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Tony, no criticism, but just curious. Why didn't you just add a layer
    >>> mask to the Nik treated layer and blend it directly with the
    >>> background layer, rather than duplicating the background layer,
    >>> placing it above the Nik layer adding a mask to it and then blending?

    >> Hell! With any of the NIK suite modules all you have to do is
    >> selectively apply the effect with a brush, as the NIK application adds
    >> a layer mask of it own.

    > Thanks, good to know.
    >

    >>> Where did you find the online coupon?

    > Googled Nik coupon and found it. Now playing with my new software.
    > So far, I like it.

    I got my software before the price drop. But, That's life.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 15, 2013
  12. peternew

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:13:46 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <2013061418575577923-savageduck1
    >@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck says...
    >>
    >> On 2013-06-14 18:47:01 -0700, peternew <> said:
    >>
    >> > i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
    >> > the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    >> >
    >> > <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    >> For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

    >What is so special about it?

    That's a good question. It is "special" if, and only if, the features
    in the modules are features that interest you. If you don't do any
    editing beyond the basics of cropping and some minor adjustments,
    there's nothing special about it. If you do do some extensive
    editing, the modules offer some advantages.

    BTW, "it" is a package of different modules, each with some specific
    application. The modules can be purchased separately, but the current
    offer is all the modules for $149 plus whatever extra discount you can
    find.

    I do a lot of conversion to black and white. I can do this with many
    programs (some of which are free), but I choose to do the conversions
    using Photoshop. In Photoshop (PS, CS, or Elements), any change I
    make in contrast to the image is global. Adjusting contrast adjusts
    the entire image. Using the Silver Efex Pro NIK module, I can adjust
    contrast in localized areas of the image by using Control Points.

    Also, Silver Efex Pro allows you to view what the image would look
    like using 20-some presets, and each of the presets is adjustable
    globally or in specific areas using Control Points. Additional
    presets can be set and made by the user.

    I can, by the way, get to the same place in Photoshop without NIK. I
    can get the effect of adjusting contrast only in certain areas in
    Photoshop by using a Layer Mask and masking in or out specific areas.
    I can also download Actions (or make my own) that work the same as the
    presets.

    The NIK module just makes it a bit easier for me to play around with
    different conversion results. It doesn't do anything I can't do
    without it, but I can run through each preset very quickly to see
    which effect works the best. I can easily pinpoint adjustments.

    Even with the NIK set, I still do most of my conversions without using
    the Silver Efex Pro module. It's there if I want to use it, though.

    Lightroom also has some black and white presets (without control
    points), but I don't use LR for editing so I'll not comment on any
    comparison.

    I'm not trying to sell you NIK. Actually, if you have to ask what it
    is, you probably aren't in the target group that would buy the set.
    All I'm trying to is give you a simple explanation of why some think
    it's "special".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 15, 2013
  13. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/15/2013 5:13 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <2013061418575577923-savageduck1
    > @REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck says...
    >>
    >> On 2013-06-14 18:47:01 -0700, peternew <> said:
    >>
    >>> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
    >>> the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    >> For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

    > What is so special about it?

    In theory ther is noting you can do with it, or any PS plugin, that you
    cannot do with PH. However, I think it is a lot easier to use, to get
    the effects you want. I suspect Google bought it for the u point
    technology, which makes masking a lot easier. Combine it with LR and
    Elements, and you greatly increase functionality. Try the free download
    for yourself.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 15, 2013
  14. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/15/2013 2:36 AM, David Taylor wrote:
    > On 15/06/2013 02:57, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2013-06-14 18:47:01 -0700, peternew <> said:
    >>
    >>> i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
    >>> the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    >> For those who don't have it, that is a bargain!

    > .. only if you already have the overpriced Adobe software for which it
    > is a set of plug-ins?

    It also works with LR, and Essentials.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 15, 2013
  15. peternew

    David Taylor Guest

    On 15/06/2013 13:03, Joe Makowiec wrote:
    []
    > Yes. You just start up the NIK software as you would any other piece of
    > software, open the image file, and work on it. You don't need any other
    > software installed, so NIK could be your sole image-processing suite.

    Thanks - that's certainly not at all clear from the Web site. Having
    now looked in more detail, I see very little that I can't already do
    with my existing single program, so I'll pass the shopping opportunity
    this time.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Jun 15, 2013
  16. peternew

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 08:55:34 -0400, peternew <> wrote:
    : On 6/14/2013 10:09 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    : > This one was really for practice. I'd like the same shot with some
    : > better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
    : >
    :
    : I like it, though I would have removed the sign.
    : Here's my version:
    : <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>

    More artistic image, less interesting shot.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 15, 2013
  17. peternew

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:47:01 -0400, peternew <> wrote:
    : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
    : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    :
    : <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>

    So Adobe's ploy to wring more money out of its customer base brings on stiffer
    competition from Google? I guess we'll see who gets the last laugh.

    Just an example, perhaps, (Nikon vs Canon is another) of why photographic
    equipment is one of the few industries left where capitalism works more or
    less as intended.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 15, 2013
  18. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/15/2013 10:17 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 08:55:34 -0400, peternew <> wrote:
    > : On 6/14/2013 10:09 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > : > This one was really for practice. I'd like the same shot with some
    > : > better graffiti, so I'm watching boxcars.
    > : >
    > :
    > : I like it, though I would have removed the sign.
    > : Here's my version:
    > : <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg>
    >
    > More artistic image, less interesting shot.
    >
    > Bob

    That's one of the differences between our approaches. As long as I
    "know" your work, you have a penchant for the realistic. I tend to
    modify the realistic. That doesn't make either of our preferences
    right, just different.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 15, 2013
  19. peternew

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > : i mhave been sleeping, but I recently learned that Google is selling
    > : the entire Nk suite for $149. this represents a drastic price drop.
    > :
    > : <http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html>
    >
    > So Adobe's ploy to wring more money out of its customer base brings on stiffer
    > competition from Google? I guess we'll see who gets the last laugh.

    nope.

    not only are they two different products, but google cut the price well
    before adobe announced the creative cloud. two entirely separate
    events.
    nospam, Jun 15, 2013
  20. peternew

    peternew Guest

    On 6/15/2013 10:26 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-06-15 06:48:29 -0700, peternew <> said:

    >>> .. only if you already have the overpriced Adobe software for which it
    >>> is a set of plug-ins?

    >> It also works with LR, and Essentials.

    > Elements not "Essentials".

    Yah I was just looking at Painter Essentials.

    --
    PeterN
    peternew, Jun 15, 2013