    I had understood that the Web element of PagePlus 9 was in fact
    WebPlus 8.

    Have I got it wrong?

    John, Feb 27, 2004

  2. John

    why? Guest

    Your apparent munged email addy is incorrect. The munge should be on the
    right hand side of the @. As it is you may not be getting any spam
    however it's still hitting the BY servers. They then try multiple
    attempts to deliver it to 'noreallyreal'. The aim should to avoid
    having the spam reach your ISP in the first place.
    If some other person is using the above name as an alias you make things
    worse by forcing your spam on them.

    http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/abuse/howavoid.shtml

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:58:45 +0000, John wrote:

    It looks like you didn't get any answers last time.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=

    >A friend said the following concerning the two Serif programmes,
    >
    >"Installed PP9 and it looks good! Much better than WP8 although it
    >cannot transfer WP8 files into PP9."

    It always pays to check the program specs.

    >I had understood that the Web element of PagePlus 9 was in fact
    >WebPlus 8.

    If it's that big a problem return it for a refund.

    >Have I got it wrong?

    Don't know, have you tried anything obvious like looking / asking /
    reading any FAQs or email support on the Serif site?

    http://www.serif.com/

    Me

    why?, Feb 27, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    Sorry if I've caused any problems. I've used this method - put in
    place by a friend - for many moons, without previous comment.

    However, I really don't understand what you are saying, so, if you'd
    be kind enough to tell me step by step exactly how to avoid
    the problem, I will put the new system in place.

    I'm using Free Agent 1.92 as I always have done.

    Perhaps I may a little obtuse, but I have no comprehension
    at all of the technical terms you are using.

    Thank you.

    John

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:30:21 GMT, why?

    John, Feb 28, 2004
  4. John

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:49:14 +0000, John wrote:

    >Sorry if I've caused any problems. I've used this method - put in
    >place by a friend - for many moons, without previous comment.

    Then your friend needs to know the method used to avoid spam is not
    quite correct.

    Posting with the address you have, you may cut down on the amount of
    spam you get unless you have created an alias called 'noreallyreal'. If
    your account has this as an alias then you may gets lots of spam.

    If this bit of your address is fake you won't be getting any spam.

    >However, I really don't understand what you are saying, so, if you'd

    So if the 'noreallyreal' is fake you don't get the spam as the alias on
    your account doesn't exist.

    However the domain name blueyonder.co.uk is not a fake. As this is a
    valid domain spambots read the address you post with and send the spam
    to the BY mail server.

    Your okay with that?

    The username part of the address to the left of the @ doesn't matter at
    this point. The spam to any username is arriving at the BY mail server
    because the domain part to the right of the @ is valid.

    So now any addresses using a valid domain send increasing amounts of
    spam to the BY mail server.

    Still okay?

    All this extra spam uses up more of the ISP bandwidth, more server
    storage and more server processing.

    Now for the username bit, as all the additional spam is now in the BY
    system it has to do something with it.

    Normally I would expect 3 things to happen.

    1. If your account has an alias of 'noreallyreal' you get the spam. And
    you use a filter to bin it.

    2. If your account doen't have that alias, you don't get the spam but
    the mail server could store it for up to 24 hours while trying to
    deliver it. Or check the known usernames quickly , not delivering it.
    Upon failure to deliver, it could store the message for up to another 24
    hours trying to send a delivery failure report back to the fake domain
    the sender used. A well configured mail system should know quickly what
    domains are faked and not bother at this point and just delete the
    message.

    3. At worst another BY user is using the alias for real that you made
    up and they get the spam.

    >be kind enough to tell me step by step exactly how to avoid

    Double check with BY notes.
    http://help.blueyonder.co.uk/html/abuse/howavoid.shtml

    >the problem, I will put the new system in place.
    >
    >I'm using Free Agent 1.92 as I always have done.

    Doesn't matter what mail app etc.

    >Perhaps I may a little obtuse, but I have no comprehension
    >at all of the technical terms you are using.

    Pointing out which ones would help.

    >Thank you.
    >
    >John
    >

    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:30:21 GMT, why?
    >

    >>Your apparent munged email addy is incorrect. The munge should be on the
    >>right hand side of the @. As it is you may not be getting any spam
    >>however it's still hitting the BY servers. They then try multiple
    >>attempts to deliver it to 'noreallyreal'. The aim should to avoid
    >>having the spam reach your ISP in the first place.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 28, 2004
  5. John

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:49:14 +0000, John wrote:

    >Sorry if I've caused any problems. I've used this method - put in
    >place by a friend - for many moons, without previous comment.
    >
    >However, I really don't understand what you are saying, so, if you'd
    >be kind enough to tell me step by step exactly how to avoid
    >the problem, I will put the new system in place.

    Short answer, change your posting address to somethng like

    A person can read this and see what edits need to be made. The trick is
    to make it harder for automatic scripts to figure out what to do. That's
    not a great example but you get the idea.

    See the various addresses used in other posts.

    Normally a post / message sig would then say at the end.
    "To mail me remove MY HAT"

    <snip>

    why?, Feb 28, 2004
  6. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:44:59 GMT, why?

    >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:49:14 +0000, John wrote:
    >
    >>Sorry if I've caused any problems. I've used this method - put in
    >>place by a friend - for many moons, without previous comment.
    >>
    >>However, I really don't understand what you are saying, so, if you'd
    >>be kind enough to tell me step by step exactly how to avoid
    >>the problem, I will put the new system in place.

    >Short answer, change your posting address to somethng like
    >

    >A person can read this and see what edits need to be made. The trick is
    >to make it harder for automatic scripts to figure out what to do. That's
    >not a great example but you get the idea.
    >
    >See the various addresses used in other posts.
    >
    >Normally a post / message sig would then say at the end.
    >"To mail me remove MY HAT"

    Many thanks.

    John

    John, Feb 29, 2004