    convert it to (or add) a USB port? The laptop is a Compaq Armada 1540DM.

    Thank you,

    Martin
    Starstuffed, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Howdy!

    "Starstuffed" <> wrote in message
    news:eyXLa.18993$...
    > I have an older laptop which only has a serial port. Is there a way to
    > convert it to (or add) a USB port? The laptop is a Compaq Armada 1540DM.

    You can add USB ports via a PCMCIA / Cardbus interface card.

    There's no way currently to convert a RS-232C serial interface to
    USB.

    I mean, do the math - USB is 12 million bits per second, RS-232 is
    115,200 bits per second. We're right at 100:1 ratio here ... the WRONG way.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 30, 2003

  3. Starstuffed

    paul s Guest

    Starstuffed wrote:

    > I have an older laptop which only has a serial port. Is there a way to
    > convert it to (or add) a USB port? The laptop is a Compaq Armada 1540DM.

    As long as its got 32bit-cardbus enabled PCMCIA slots and is running a
    minimum of Win-98.
    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jun 30, 2003
  4. Starstuffed

    Starstuffed Guest

    "paul s" <> wrote in message
    > Starstuffed wrote:
    >
    > > I have an older laptop which only has a serial port. Is there a way to
    > > convert it to (or add) a USB port? The laptop is a Compaq Armada

    1540DM.

    > As long as its got 32bit-cardbus enabled PCMCIA slots and is running a
    > minimum of Win-98.
    > --
    > Paul S

    Paul,

    It's got the PCMCIA slots but don't know if they are 32 bit-cardbus enabled.
    How do I find this out? Also, if I meet these requirements, what am I after
    and would it be available at CompUSA and for approximately how much money?

    Thanks,

    Martin
    Starstuffed, Jun 30, 2003
  5. Starstuffed

    paul s Guest

    paul s, Jun 30, 2003
  6. Starstuffed

    Starstuffed Guest

    "paul s" <> wrote in message
    > pcbutts1 wrote:
    >
    > > You need this

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=293596&pfp=SEA
    RCH

    > Yeh that should work on that Compaq Armada laptop, provided the laptop is
    > running a mininum of Win-98
    > --
    > Paul S

    Hello Paul,

    I've got a copy of Windows 98 which I have run on this laptop before.
    Thanks to everybody for the help.

    Martin
    Starstuffed, Jun 30, 2003