    option for a USB printer.

    Thanks for any help. I hope I explained it well.
    , May 13, 2007

  2. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm trying to find some kind of cable or anything that can covert a
    > Serial port to USB connection. I have found many ways to connect it
    > USB to Serial port but not the other way around.
    >
    > I'm a Mac guy and the problem is on my computer at work which is
    > running Windows XP.
    > Here is my problem.
    >
    > While the Operating System on the computer is XP the system we use for
    > our POS runs off of DOS. Recently out printer broke and I had to buy
    > another one. When I try to print anything from the POS system nothing
    > prints because it is trying to print through the serial port (LPT 1, I
    > believe) while the printer is connected via USB. It is impossible to
    > find a nice printer that has a serial port input option. Like I said
    > I am not a PC guy at all so I'm not sure if I am able to install the
    > driver for the printer somewhere else or make it become the LPT 1 or
    > any of that. Or if I need to find a converter or cable. Or just wait
    > until July when we get a new POS system that I am sure will have the
    > option for a USB printer.
    >
    > Thanks for any help. I hope I explained it well.

    Kenny

    As you have found Serial to USB converters basically don't exist.

    What may be more productive tack for you is to look into your POS software
    and see if it will print to a Parallel port.
    Parallel port printers are still available and all you have to do is get one
    that can emulate one of the printers built into your POS software.

    If you feel this is beyond you then you only have 2 choices a) buyin some
    expertise b) changeover to the new POS software immediately.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 13, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to find some kind of cable or anything that can covert a
    > Serial port to USB connection. I have found many ways to connect it
    > USB to Serial port but not the other way around.
    >
    > I'm a Mac guy and the problem is on my computer at work which is
    > running Windows XP.
    > Here is my problem.
    >
    > While the Operating System on the computer is XP the system we use for
    > our POS runs off of DOS. Recently out printer broke and I had to buy
    > another one. When I try to print anything from the POS system nothing
    > prints because it is trying to print through the serial port (LPT 1, I
    > believe) while the printer is connected via USB. It is impossible to
    > find a nice printer that has a serial port input option. Like I said
    > I am not a PC guy at all so I'm not sure if I am able to install the
    > driver for the printer somewhere else or make it become the LPT 1 or
    > any of that. Or if I need to find a converter or cable. Or just wait
    > until July when we get a new POS system that I am sure will have the
    > option for a USB printer.
    >
    > Thanks for any help. I hope I explained it well.

    No, you didn't explain it well. You don't seem to know the difference
    between serial and parallel ports. You called your serial port "LPT1, I
    believe". Well, serial AIN'T parallel: so which is it? How many pins in the
    connector - 9 or 25, male or female?

    What printer did you want? Is it a reciept printer, or a full page printer
    like an inkjet or laser? Here are some nice receipt printers - all three
    types: parallel, serial (RS232), and USB. Take your pick.
    WhzzKdd, May 13, 2007