Serial & Parallel Ports On New PC's ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 24, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from my
    PC.
    Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.

    May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    Serial port anymore.
    Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.

    I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but frankly
    would not be too thrilled with going this route.

    Any external approaches, or is an additional (assuming there are free slots)
    internal card the only practical way ?

    If so, any brand recommendations ?
    Any caveats, or gotchas in doing so ?

    And, unfortunately, the same question regardingthe lack of a Parallel Port ?
    Have an older printer I really like, but it runs off of a parallel port.

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Nov 24, 2007

  2. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Radio only has a serial port

    > May be getting a new PC,

    > I guess there are cards that I can buy

    > Have an older printer I really like, but it runs off of a
    > parallel port.

    This sez that you have two devices and they need a serial and parallel
    port. You have observed that the trend is away from those. You can
    still buy mobos with serial and parallel and you can buy mobos with
    neither. There are also adapters; there is a PCI card with both serial
    & parallel. There is also the economics of buying boards without those
    ports and the cost of adapting vs the cost of a new device. I saw a
    color inkjet printer on sale yesterday for $15

    - you are going to have to do your shopping
    - you can buy a mobo without & adapt
    - you can buy a mobo with
    - putting a card in a mobo isn't a big deal
    - sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new peripheral

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-11-24, Robert11 <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from my
    > PC.
    > Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >
    > May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    > Serial port anymore.
    > Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >
    > I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but frankly
    > would not be too thrilled with going this route.
    >
    > Any external approaches, or is an additional (assuming there are free slots)
    > internal card the only practical way ?
    >
    > If so, any brand recommendations ?
    > Any caveats, or gotchas in doing so ?
    >
    > And, unfortunately, the same question regardingthe lack of a Parallel Port ?
    > Have an older printer I really like, but it runs off of a parallel port.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    There are USB-to-Serial and USB-to-Parallel adaptors. Whether your
    'legacy' hardware and software will function fully (or at all) using such
    things, I suspect you'll have to discover the hard way. I successfully
    used a Serial dial-up modem via a USB adaptor for a year or so, but I had
    to do a bit of trial and error to discover the correct 'serial socket' for
    it as the modem couldn't be auto-detected.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 24, 2007
  4. "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from my
    > PC.
    > Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >
    > May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    > Serial port anymore.
    > Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >
    > I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but frankly
    > would not be too thrilled with going this route.
    >
    > Any external approaches, or is an additional (assuming there are free
    > slots) internal card the only practical way ?
    >
    > If so, any brand recommendations ?
    > Any caveats, or gotchas in doing so ?
    >
    > And, unfortunately, the same question regardingthe lack of a Parallel Port
    > ?
    > Have an older printer I really like, but it runs off of a parallel port.

    It's only really the large OEM companies, like Dell, that are making
    machines without legacy ports. Just about all motherboards that you can buy
    as component parts still have the legacy ports, so any computer that you
    build yourself, or is built by a small supplier will have them.

    Installing a PCI card is a trivial matter, and if there are any such things
    as USB adapters for serial and parallel ports (I think there are actually),
    they should be avoided. You are unlikely to get 100% compatibility (and
    will not, IIRC).

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Nov 24, 2007
  5. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from my
    > PC.
    > Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >
    > May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    > Serial port anymore.
    > Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >
    > I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but frankly
    > would not be too thrilled with going this route.
    >
    > Any external approaches, or is an additional (assuming there are free
    > slots) internal card the only practical way ?

    You can get cheap multi-io cards containing both serial and parallel ports,
    for pci slots. Easy to insert.
    You may as well buy a usb-to-serial or parallel converter, but they are not
    as cheap and your program may refuse to work with such a emulated
    interface, in particular if the program is dated back to the win9x era.
    Such interfaces are only recommended for laptops.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 24, 2007
  6. Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from my
    > PC.
    > Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >
    > May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    > Serial port anymore.
    > Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >
    > I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but frankly
    > would not be too thrilled with going this route.

    What is the basis of you resistance to this simple solution?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 24, 2007
  7. Robert11

    meerkat Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Robert11 wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from
    >> my
    >> PC.
    >> Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >>
    >> May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    >> Serial port anymore.
    >> Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >>
    >> I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but
    >> frankly
    >> would not be too thrilled with going this route.

    > What is the basis of you resistance to this simple solution?

    Doesn`t own a screwdriver ?. %> ).
    meerkat, Nov 24, 2007
  8. meerkat wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Robert11 wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from
    >>> my
    >>> PC.
    >>> Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >>>
    >>> May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    >>> Serial port anymore.
    >>> Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >>>
    >>> I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but
    >>> frankly
    >>> would not be too thrilled with going this route.

    >> What is the basis of you resistance to this simple solution?
    >>

    > Doesn`t own a screwdriver ?. %> ).

    Time for a trip to the 99-cent store. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 24, 2007
  9. Robert11

    TJ Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Robert11 wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package,
    >> from my PC.
    >> Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >>
    >> May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come
    >> with a Serial port anymore.
    >> Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >>
    >> I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but
    >> frankly would not be too thrilled with going this route.

    How about something like this?

    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_serial.htm

    If not? Google for "serial port to USB adapter" (include the quotation
    marks)

    > What is the basis of you resistance to this simple solution?

    I suspect he's like the majority of folks who've never cracked a case
    before. Intimidated by the mere thought of it.

    Many have a preconceived notion that the inside of a machine consists of
    unsortable bundles of wiring and gadgets.

    I've had more than one person comment to the effect, "Is that all there
    is to it?" upon watching me open a desktop.
    TJ, Nov 24, 2007
  10. TJ wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> Robert11 wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package,
    >>> from my PC.
    >>> Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >>>
    >>> May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come
    >>> with a Serial port anymore.
    >>> Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >>>
    >>> I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but
    >>> frankly would not be too thrilled with going this route.

    > How about something like this?
    >
    > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_serial.htm
    >
    > If not? Google for "serial port to USB adapter" (include the quotation
    > marks)
    >
    >> What is the basis of you resistance to this simple solution?

    > I suspect he's like the majority of folks who've never cracked a case
    > before. Intimidated by the mere thought of it.

    Time for his cherry to get busted.

    > Many have a preconceived notion that the inside of a machine consists of
    > unsortable bundles of wiring and gadgets.

    Gears! He might get his hand or tie caught in the gears!

    > I've had more than one person comment to the effect, "Is that all there
    > is to it?" upon watching me open a desktop.

    Aye.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 24, 2007
  11. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:59 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from my
    >PC.
    >Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >
    >May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    >Serial port anymore.
    >Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >
    >I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but frankly
    >would not be too thrilled with going this route.

    Don't think like that, go for a 1 or 2 port serial card. This is the
    most compatiable and best solution. You get a real serial port and not
    some emulated USB-Serial.

    >Any external approaches, or is an additional (assuming there are free slots)
    >internal card the only practical way ?
    >
    >If so, any brand recommendations ?
    >Any caveats, or gotchas in doing so ?

    Have this at home (2 port type) and when work needed a dozen ,
    recommended these.
    http://www.startech.com/

    >And, unfortunately, the same question regardingthe lack of a Parallel Port ?
    >Have an older printer I really like, but it runs off of a parallel port.

    2 port serial + parallel
    http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=PCI2S1P&c=UK

    If you don't have 2 slots next to each other, individual cards
    http://www.startech.com/Product/Category.aspx?WCID=211&WCLID=40&MLID=7&menu=1&c=UK

    Me
    why?, Nov 25, 2007
  12. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:59 -0500, Robert11 wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from my
    >>PC.
    >>Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.
    >>
    >>May be getting a new PC, and notice that many of them do not come with a
    >>Serial port anymore.
    >>Or apparently a Parallel port either; just USB's.
    >>
    >>I guess there are cards that I can buy and install internally, but frankly
    >>would not be too thrilled with going this route.

    > Don't think like that, go for a 1 or 2 port serial card. This is the
    > most compatiable and best solution. You get a real serial port and not
    > some emulated USB-Serial.
    >
    >>Any external approaches, or is an additional (assuming there are free
    >>slots)
    >>internal card the only practical way ?
    >>
    >>If so, any brand recommendations ?
    >>Any caveats, or gotchas in doing so ?

    > Have this at home (2 port type) and when work needed a dozen ,
    > recommended these.
    > http://www.startech.com/
    >

    >>And, unfortunately, the same question regardingthe lack of a Parallel Port
    >>?
    >>Have an older printer I really like, but it runs off of a parallel port.

    > 2 port serial + parallel
    > http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=PCI2S1P&c=UK
    >

    > If you don't have 2 slots next to each other, individual cards
    > http://www.startech.com/Product/Category.aspx?WCID=211&WCLID=40&MLID=7&menu=1&c=UK

    I am surprised at how expensive those cards are. It is most probab;ly due
    to the low demand for such cards, but I am sure you can get much cheaper
    ones on eBay.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Nov 25, 2007
  13. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    > "why?"

    >> 2 port serial + parallel

    > I am surprised at how expensive those cards are. It is most
    > probab;ly due to the low demand for such cards, but I am sure you can
    > get much cheaper ones on eBay.

    I didn't shop/search very much, but one site I saw with a PCI w/
    1serial+1parallel was expensive.

    The OP didn't state why s/he was...

    Robert11 wrote:
    > May be getting a new PC,

    Does that mean 'I saw a good deal on a computer the other day, so I was
    thinking about buying it.'?

    Then, 'Maybe I should consider it a problem if it doesn't have serial &
    parallel ports.'

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 25, 2007
  14. Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >> 2 port serial + parallel
    >> http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=PCI2S1P&c=UK
    >>
    >> If you don't have 2 slots next to each other, individual cards
    >> http://www.startech.com/Product/Category.aspx?WCID=211&WCLID=40&MLID=7&menu=1&c=UK

    > I am surprised at how expensive those cards are. It is most probab;ly
    > due to the low demand for such cards, but I am sure you can get much
    > cheaper ones on eBay.

    I haven't chased down those links, but I've used S.I.I.G cards for
    various chores like those, and they've always been reliable and
    reasonably priced. They're probably worth a look. (I've always got
    them at brick'n'mortar Fry's, but Fry's isn't, unforunately,
    everywhere.) Wait...come to think of it, the Fry's online presence
    seems to be http://outpost.com, but I don't know how comprehensive their
    selection or how good their search engine is.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 25, 2007
  15. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> 2 port serial + parallel
    >>> http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=PCI2S1P&c=UK
    >>>
    >>> If you don't have 2 slots next to each other, individual cards
    >>> http://www.startech.com/Product/Category.aspx?WCID=211&WCLID=40&MLID=7&menu=1&c=UK

    >> I am surprised at how expensive those cards are. It is most probab;ly
    >> due to the low demand for such cards, but I am sure you can get much
    >> cheaper ones on eBay.

    > I haven't chased down those links, but I've used S.I.I.G cards for
    > various chores like those, and they've always been reliable and
    > reasonably priced. They're probably worth a look. (I've always got
    > them at brick'n'mortar Fry's, but Fry's isn't, unforunately,
    > everywhere.) Wait...come to think of it, the Fry's online presence
    > seems to be http://outpost.com, but I don't know how comprehensive their
    > selection or how good their search engine is.

    Okay, SIIG. I think they used to have dots; I guess they got shots for
    that. :)

    http://www.siig.com/ViewProductList.aspx

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 25, 2007
  16. Robert11

    Guest

    "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote:

    >I am surprised at how expensive those cards are. It is most probab;ly due
    >to the low demand for such cards, but I am sure you can get much cheaper
    >ones on eBay.

    Use www.Froogle.com (beta that isn't pushed anymore), found a serial
    parallel port for $20.

    I use this site quite a bit, for times when someone says I have a
    as7XXXXadn, I can go to froogle.com and see what it looks like.
    --

    Crop Circles
    www.alienseekernews.com/writers/patrick-cooke/images/crop-circles.jpg
  17. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:28:53 -0000, Synapse Syndrome wrote:

    >> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:21:59 -0500, Robert11 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>Have a shortwave radio that I can control, via a software package, from my
    >>>PC.
    >>>Radio only has a serial port, and everything works fine.

    <snip>

    >> Have this at home (2 port type) and when work needed a dozen ,
    >> recommended these.
    >> http://www.startech.com/

    <snip>
    >> 2 port serial + parallel
    >> http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=PCI2S1P&c=UK

    <snip>
    >I am surprised at how expensive those cards are. It is most probab;ly due
    >to the low demand for such cards, but I am sure you can get much cheaper
    >ones on eBay.

    <grin> was only a pointer to a brand. Me I hunted around as usual and
    work is work prices for the customer.

    There aren't the many brand choices from years ago for I/O cards.

    Me
    why?, Nov 26, 2007
  18. <> wrote in message
    > "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am surprised at how expensive those cards are. It is most probab;ly due
    >>to the low demand for such cards, but I am sure you can get much cheaper
    >>ones on eBay.

    > Use www.Froogle.com (beta that isn't pushed anymore), found a serial
    > parallel port for $20.
    >
    > I use this site quite a bit, for times when someone says I have a
    > as7XXXXadn, I can go to froogle.com and see what it looks like.

    Yeah, I use Froogle as well, but it is just called Products on the Google
    homepage. It is stoill called Froogle on the drop down search box on the
    Google toolbar though.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Nov 27, 2007