    Trying to restore my Compaq Armada 7400 its asking for a serial number
    anyone know where it is. If cant find how do reinstall windows 98

    Thanks

    mark taylor, May 27, 2005

  2. mark taylor

    Old Gringo Guest

    mark taylor wrote:
    > Trying to restore my Compaq Armada 7400 its asking for a serial number
    > anyone know where it is. If cant find how do reinstall windows 98
    >
    > Thanks

    Usually stuck on the PC case somewhere.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, May 27, 2005

  3. mark taylor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "mark taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Trying to restore my Compaq Armada 7400 its asking for a serial number
    > anyone know where it is. If cant find how do reinstall windows 98
    >
    > Thanks

    If you haven't already erased Win98, download the "Magical Jellybean
    Keyfinder" program. It will tell you the Windows CD Key, and the key for
    most flavors of MS Office (the 2000 version is the only exception).

    Toolman Tim, May 27, 2005
  4. mark taylor

    Plato Guest

    Plato, May 28, 2005
  5. mark taylor

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 13:44:07 GMT, "mark taylor" <>
    wrote:

    >Trying to restore my Compaq Armada 7400 its asking for a serial number
    >anyone know where it is. If cant find how do reinstall windows 98

    This once happened to me with a computer I had bought after it had
    been returned to the store. I hadn't received the Win95 serial number
    and I had wiped Win95 to use the restoration disk. I had to go to the
    store and play with another computer and get a serial number using the
    Registry Editor. I could have also gone to the library or another
    computer online and google'd a pirated serial number.

    Of course, this won't work with XP because:

    a) The serial number is somewhat encrypted (not very - there's a
    program called viewkeyxp which is 32K)

    b) You have to send your serial number and an inventory of your
    hardware (not your name/address) to Microsoft and they try to prevent
    computers that are too different from using the same serial number.

    Joel Rubin, May 28, 2005