    Many thanks,

    Paul
    , Mar 28, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two Cisco 1600 routers linked back to back with a serial
    > connection. I have enabled a cock rate of 64000 on the DCE end. The
    > links works perfectly.
    >
    > Would someone mind explaining the difference between DCE and DTE? Or
    > mind recommending a good article on the subject?
    >
    > I am used to Ethernet connections and this serial one has confused me.
    > How does a "clock rate 64000" compare to say 10Mb Ethernet? Is the
    > clock rate command even linked to speed?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Paul

    DCE is data communications equipment, DTE data termination equipment.
    With straight through serial cables, a DCE will connect to a DTE. To
    connect like to like you need a crossover cable or null modem. The
    designation defines the wiring of the transmit, receive and control pins
    in the cable, and strictly, it should define the gender of the connector.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232 might help.

    The clock rate defines the speed of the link. In your case it's 64K
    bit/sec, so quite slow compared to 10Mbit ethernet.
    Chris Bartram, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Merv Guest

    Merv, Mar 28, 2006