    thing about COMM's 1-2

    Any clues on how to set this up on COMM's 1 or 2.

    Thanks
    Mathew Good, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Mathew Good

    Zipper Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > This chap got a Shop to install a Serial card made by Sunix, but the Board Jockey did not check the
    > Comm ports, board has set its self up on COMM 5-6, but the software that is used needs COMM 1-2
    >
    > This is running XP on a late model desktop HP , COMMS Ports are 3-5 are used, but don't see any
    > thing about COMM's 1-2
    >
    > Any clues on how to set this up on COMM's 1 or 2.
    >

    > Thanks

    Can't you go into control panel ->system -> hardware ->device manager
    then to the ports then you can click on whatever port and then go to
    advanced and change the port number there?
    Zipper, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:30:25 +1300, Zipper <> wrote:

    >Mathew Good wrote:
    >> This chap got a Shop to install a Serial card made by Sunix, but the Board Jockey did not check the
    >> Comm ports, board has set its self up on COMM 5-6, but the software that is used needs COMM 1-2
    >>
    >> This is running XP on a late model desktop HP , COMMS Ports are 3-5 are used, but don't see any
    >> thing about COMM's 1-2
    >>
    >> Any clues on how to set this up on COMM's 1 or 2.
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >Can't you go into control panel ->system -> hardware ->device manager
    >then to the ports then you can click on whatever port and then go to
    >advanced and change the port number there?

    Well no, as I have found that Ports 3 & 4 are linked to 1 and 2..

    So I need a Port Mapper or the Software has to be patched..
    Mathew Good, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Mathew Good

    Enkidu Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:30:25 +1300, Zipper <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mathew Good wrote:
    >>> This chap got a Shop to install a Serial card made by Sunix, but
    >>> the Board Jockey did not check the Comm ports, board has set its
    >>> self up on COMM 5-6, but the software that is used needs COMM 1-2
    >>>

    >>> This is running XP on a late model desktop HP , COMMS Ports are
    >>> 3-5 are used, but don't see any thing about COMM's 1-2
    >>>
    >>> Any clues on how to set this up on COMM's 1 or 2.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Can't you go into control panel ->system -> hardware ->device
    >> manager then to the ports then you can click on whatever port and
    >> then go to advanced and change the port number there?

    > Well no, as I have found that Ports 3 & 4 are linked to 1 and 2..
    >
    > So I need a Port Mapper or the Software has to be patched..

    Go into the BIOS and disable ports 1 and 2.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Feb 9, 2007
  5. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:41:52 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Mathew Good wrote:

    >>> Can't you go into control panel ->system -> hardware ->device
    >>> manager then to the ports then you can click on whatever port and
    >>> then go to advanced and change the port number there?

    >> Well no, as I have found that Ports 3 & 4 are linked to 1 and 2..
    >>
    >> So I need a Port Mapper or the Software has to be patched..
    >>

    >Go into the BIOS and disable ports 1 and 2.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Its a Add on Card the MoBo does not have any ports, HP Crap.
    Mathew Good, Feb 9, 2007
  6. Mathew Good

    Enkidu Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:41:52 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mathew Good wrote:

    >>> Well no, as I have found that Ports 3 & 4 are linked to 1 and 2..
    >>>
    >>> So I need a Port Mapper or the Software has to be patched..
    >>>

    >> Go into the BIOS and disable ports 1 and 2.

    > Its a Add on Card the MoBo does not have any ports, HP Crap.

    Doesn't matter. Just do it. The BIOS and OS provide the ports or rather,
    reserve them. The add-on cards detect this and try using higher ports.

    For instance in the old dial up days, modem cards frequently had
    problems because the BIOS/OS grabbed ports 1 and 2 and the modem cards
    didn't work properly or tried to use higher ports. Shutdown, remove the
    card, boot into BIOS, disable ports 1 and 2, reboot, shutdown, add the
    card again and it works.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Feb 9, 2007
  7. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:56:45 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Mathew Good wrote:

    >>> Go into the BIOS and disable ports 1 and 2.

    >> Its a Add on Card the MoBo does not have any ports, HP Crap.
    >>

    >Doesn't matter. Just do it. The BIOS and OS provide the ports or rather,
    >reserve them. The add-on cards detect this and try using higher ports.
    >
    >For instance in the old dial up days, modem cards frequently had
    >problems because the BIOS/OS grabbed ports 1 and 2 and the modem cards
    >didn't work properly or tried to use higher ports. Shutdown, remove the
    >card, boot into BIOS, disable ports 1 and 2, reboot, shutdown, add the
    >card again and it works.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Ports 3 and 4 are being used, Plus I am not allowed to play with the PC as its under warrantee.

    All I can do is to see if I can move ports 3 and 4 to some higher ones..
    Mathew Good, Feb 10, 2007
  8. Mathew Good

    Richard Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:

    > Ports 3 and 4 are being used, Plus I am not allowed to play with the PC as its under warrantee.

    Whoever told you that was a very very wise person ;)

    Richard, Feb 13, 2007