    what number they are assigned.Are there some underlying parameters I am
    missing here. Just seems strange. Please no comments about all the
    serial ports.....

    Gary, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Gary wrote:
    > This one stumps me. Any help appreciated. I use several serial devices.
    > The MB has one port and I had two single port SIIG cards, com 2 and com
    > 3. I added a third SIIG card, this one dual port, com 4 and com 5. After
    > rebooting, the device formerly operating properly on com 2 could not be
    > seen. Moved it to com 4 and all was well after resetting the preferences
    > of the device. Changed the com 2 and com 3 to com 12 and com 13 and
    > changed 4 and 5 to 2 and 3. Reset things and the devices again working
    > fine on the dual port card, but not working on the single port cards.
    > Remove the dual port card and the single ports again work, regardless of
    > what number they are assigned.Are there some underlying parameters I am
    > missing here. Just seems strange. Please no comments about all the
    > serial ports.....

    #WOW#

    er...

    it all depends on what u r connecting to the ports. It could be to do
    with power consumption. (eg. MB serial port could offer more than the
    cards?-perhaps). I don't know to much about serial but are there
    different standards? Like for USB there is 1.1 & 2.
    If there r different standards then perhaps certain devices support
    certain standards?!?

    Hope that helps & Good luck

    James Padolsey, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Gary

    Flyer Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > This one stumps me. Any help appreciated. I use several serial devices.
    > The MB has one port and I had two single port SIIG cards, com 2 and com 3.
    > I added a third SIIG card, this one dual port, com 4 and com 5. After
    > rebooting, the device formerly operating properly on com 2 could not be
    > seen. Moved it to com 4 and all was well after resetting the preferences
    > of the device. Changed the com 2 and com 3 to com 12 and com 13 and
    > changed 4 and 5 to 2 and 3. Reset things and the devices again working
    > fine on the dual port card, but not working on the single port cards.
    > Remove the dual port card and the single ports again work, regardless of
    > what number they are assigned.Are there some underlying parameters I am
    > missing here. Just seems strange. Please no comments about all the serial
    > ports.....

    at a guess, it sounds a bit like IRQ conflicts, worth checking, maybe
    several cards are trying to share the same IRQ ?

    P.

    Flyer, Aug 9, 2006