    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    Founder and director
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible
    Bible John, May 14, 2006

  2. Bible John wrote:
    > Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few
    > years ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine
    > why.
    >
    > Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They
    > wanted a digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose
    > either the Mavica, or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are
    > still being made. But then again I could be wrong. Are they?
    >

    > John

    My first digital camera was a Kodak DC280 zoom. I still have the camera. It
    has both serial and USB interfaces. It takes superb pictures, despite it's
    mere 2 megapixel sensor.

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, May 14, 2006

  3. Bible John

    RW+/- Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:32:39 -0700, Bible John wrote:

    > Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
    > ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
    >
    > Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted a
    > digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the Mavica,
    > or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being made. But then
    > again I could be wrong. Are they?
    >
    > John

    What is wrong with buying a card reader? Then you can use any camera.
    RW+/-, May 14, 2006
  4. RW+/- wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:32:39 -0700, Bible John wrote:
    >
    >> Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
    >> ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
    >>
    >> Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted a
    >> digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the Mavica,
    >> or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being made. But then
    >> again I could be wrong. Are they?
    >>
    >> John

    > What is wrong with buying a card reader? Then you can use any camera.

    BJ promotes long "discussions" on older than dirt equipment. Then it
    devolves into rants and Christian/Anti-C stuff, along with x-posting,
    and diatribes. At least this has been the format in several NGs.

    --
    lsmft
    John McWilliams, May 14, 2006
  5. Bible John

    Bible John Guest

    --
    Luke 9:26-If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be
    ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and
    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > RW+/- wrote:
    >> On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:32:39 -0700, Bible John wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
    >>> ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
    >>>
    >>> Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted
    >>> a digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the
    >>> Mavica, or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being
    >>> made. But then again I could be wrong. Are they?
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> What is wrong with buying a card reader? Then you can use any camera.

    > BJ promotes long "discussions" on older than dirt equipment. Then it
    > devolves into rants and Christian/Anti-C stuff, along with x-posting, and
    > diatribes. At least this has been the format in several NGs.
    >
    > --
    > lsmft

    I am interested in older equipment. I do have some older equipment in my
    house. Some of which are serial only. Also my old PC laptop I doubt can use
    a modern digital camera.

    John

    http://www.usenet.com
    Bible John, May 14, 2006
  6. Bible John

    Bible John Guest

    I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?

    John

    Bible John, May 14, 2006
  7. Bible John

    Peter Chant Guest

    Bible John wrote:

    > I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?

    Not that I'm aware of. You've basically got two options, buy an old camera
    to go with the computer or buy a newer computer. Perhaps there is a third
    option, do any highstree places that produce prints from memory cards burn
    CD's at the same time?

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk
    Peter Chant, May 14, 2006
  8. Bible John

    2 Guest

    Bible John wrote:

    > I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?

    How about getting a Serial to USB adapter?
    2, May 14, 2006
  9. Bible John

    RW+/- Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 12:47:19 -0700, Bible John wrote:

    > I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?
    >
    > John

    not anymore, and I should have thought of this but didn't.

    A lot of older P&S camera's had serial comm cables but with the advent of
    USB and firewire the switchover was pretty fast.

    Old Olympus cameras had serial cables and I suppose you could look for
    these on Ebay or whatever.

    In any event if there were such a beast still available your problem would
    be handling the pictures and editing them given the screen/video card/OS
    capabilities.

    If they can afford a camera surely they could afford to upgrade the
    computer to at least a capable used computer first.

    Or, they could buy a camera and a direct printer new and do a direct print
    as well as view them on the TV.

    In computers former things have passed away and all become new. Don't poor
    new wine into old wine bags.
    RW+/-, May 14, 2006
  10. Bible John

    RW+/- Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:57:29 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

    > RW+/- wrote:
    >> On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:32:39 -0700, Bible John wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
    >>> ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
    >>>
    >>> Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted a
    >>> digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the Mavica,
    >>> or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being made. But then
    >>> again I could be wrong. Are they?
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> What is wrong with buying a card reader? Then you can use any camera.

    > BJ promotes long "discussions" on older than dirt equipment. Then it
    > devolves into rants and Christian/Anti-C stuff, along with x-posting,
    > and diatribes. At least this has been the format in several NGs.

    That is sad.

    He should know the principle of not pouring new wine into old containers.
    :)
    RW+/-, May 14, 2006
  11. Bible John

    RW+/- Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 15:57:27 -0500, 2 wrote:

    > Bible John wrote:
    >>
    >> I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?

    > How about getting a Serial to USB adapter?

    I did a quick check, no longer available.
    Then there would still be a driver problem if one was found.
    RW+/-, May 14, 2006
  12. Bible John wrote:
    > --
    > Luke 9:26-If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be
    > ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and
    > of the holy angels.

    Q.E.D.

    --
    lsmft
    John McWilliams, May 15, 2006
  13. Bible John

    Rudy Benner Guest

    > Bible John wrote:
    >> --
    >> Luke 9:26-If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be
    >> ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father
    >> and of the holy angels.

    > Q.E.D.
    >
    > --
    > lsmft

    What a crock of shit.
    Rudy Benner, May 15, 2006
  14. Bible John

    Stacey Guest

    Bible John wrote:

    >Also my old PC laptop I doubt can
    > use a modern digital camera.

    PCMCIA to compact flash adapters are comon hardware. I use one with a
    thinkpad 760 (pentium 133 laptop)
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, May 15, 2006
  15. Bible John

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Bible John wrote:
    > Do they still exist? I remember seeing some high end models a few years
    > ago. Perhaps some are still using them. Frankly I cnat imagine why.
    >
    > Up to 2 years ago my family was using a old serial/SCSI Mac. They wanted a
    > digital camera, but I told them that they had to choose either the Mavica,
    > or a mail order serial camera. I doubt these are still being made. But then
    > again I could be wrong. Are they?
    >

    > John

    USB is a serial protocol, and many cameras have them. Or do you mean the
    old serial protocol using the DIN connectors?
    Don Stauffer, May 15, 2006
  16. Bible John

    tomm42 Guest

    Microtech made a SCSI card reader, much more expensive than the USB
    type. There are also parallel port card readers, which have the
    reputation of being very slow. So if a serial reader was ever made, it
    would be like pouring molasses.

    Tom
    tomm42, May 15, 2006
  17. Bible John

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 21:48:43 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    >> I do not believe a serial based reader exists. Or does it?

    > Not that I'm aware of. You've basically got two options, buy an old
    > camera to go with the computer or buy a newer computer. Perhaps
    > there is a third option, do any highstree places that produce prints from
    > memory cards burn CD's at the same time?

    When I got my old Powershot S10, my even older Win95 computer had
    no USB ports so I used the serial port for a few days. Before a
    week had passed I bought a parallel port card reader, which had
    blazingly fast copying speed, at least compared to the serial port.
    Sounds like a third option to me, if they can still be found. A
    fourth option, which I currently use, is a SCSI PCMCIA card reader.
    They tended to be expensive (several hundreds of dollars), but I
    found one for $50 on Kodak's website. It's *much* faster than the
    parallel port reader, and being SCSI, probably bypasses the Windows
    size limit imposed by FAT16 partitions. My largest cards are only
    1GB, so I have yet to test this. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. My
    current cameras probably can't handle cards larger than 1GB either,
    so the testing won't occur anytime soon. :)
    ASAAR, May 16, 2006
  18. Bible John

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:59:46 GMT, RW+/- wrote:

    > Old Olympus cameras had serial cables and I suppose you could look for
    > these on Ebay or whatever.

    Canon's Powershots (S10 and S20) had both serial and USB ports. I
    never used the USB ports, and the serial ports worked well, as long
    as there were only a small number of pictures to transfer, and time
    wasn't an issue. I didn't waste much time getting a card reader. :)
    ASAAR, May 16, 2006
  19. Bible John

    RW+/- Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 03:13:52 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:59:46 GMT, RW+/- wrote:
    >
    >> Old Olympus cameras had serial cables and I suppose you could look for
    >> these on Ebay or whatever.

    > Canon's Powershots (S10 and S20) had both serial and USB ports. I
    > never used the USB ports, and the serial ports worked well, as long
    > as there were only a small number of pictures to transfer, and time
    > wasn't an issue. I didn't waste much time getting a card reader. :)

    Heh, me too, but the camera was configurable via the serial port so I
    occasionally would still hook it up that way.
    RW+/-, May 16, 2006