Serial ATA HD And Ultra/ATA HD's In Same PC: O.K. ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Will probably be purchasing a new PC shortly.

    Have a 6 year old PC now running W98, that I have added a second Maxtor HD
    to a few years back. Don't remember the type or spec on it, but I do
    remember that the installation went amazingly well and easy.

    My question is:

    Several PC models I'm considering come with either Serial ATA hard drives or
    Ultra/ATA 100 Hard Drives. Have no idea of the differences.

    My plan is to put all the files on my present PC on the second HD that I
    previously installed, and transfer this HD physically into the cabinet of
    the new PC.

    Am concerned that the new PC I select may have as its basic HD one of the
    two types I mentioned above (Serial or Ultra/ATA), and not be the same type
    as the HD I am moving.

    Are they compatible, the Serial and Ultra types if in the same PC ?

    Anything else I should also be asking and be aware of ? Any gotchas?

    Will the XP software "automatically" recognize it ? (will transfer only
    files, no programs)
    etc. ?

    Much thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Mike Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Will probably be purchasing a new PC shortly.
    >
    > Have a 6 year old PC now running W98, that I have added a second Maxtor HD
    > to a few years back. Don't remember the type or spec on it, but I do
    > remember that the installation went amazingly well and easy.
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > Several PC models I'm considering come with either Serial ATA hard drives

    or
    > Ultra/ATA 100 Hard Drives. Have no idea of the differences.
    >
    > My plan is to put all the files on my present PC on the second HD that I
    > previously installed, and transfer this HD physically into the cabinet of
    > the new PC.
    >
    > Am concerned that the new PC I select may have as its basic HD one of the
    > two types I mentioned above (Serial or Ultra/ATA), and not be the same

    type
    > as the HD I am moving.
    >
    > Are they compatible, the Serial and Ultra types if in the same PC ?
    >
    > Anything else I should also be asking and be aware of ? Any gotchas?
    >

    > Will the XP software "automatically" recognize it ? (will transfer only
    > files, no programs)
    > etc. ?
    >
    > Much thanks,
    > Bob

    Serial ATA is faster than Ultra ATA (SATA runs about 150MB/s and UltraATA
    peaks at about 133MB/s). SATA and IDE hard drives should be able to coexist
    in the same PC, I havn't heard of any issues other than SATA drivers (which
    isn't a problem if you buy the PC with an OS installed). There isn't any
    reason for the new computer to be incompatible with older hard drives,
    unless it doesn't have any IDE ports at all. XP should have no trouble
    recognizing the drive and copy only what you tell it to copy.

    Mike, Oct 28, 2004