sequential number user name convention - security concern.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by humbleFunGuy, Jul 17, 2008.

  1. humbleFunGuy

    humbleFunGuy Guest

    I am wondering if there is any article or best practice on how to
    select convention for user names. We are in the planning stages of
    setting up convention for user names for our company. These user
    names will be used for all employees. We have a lot of employees.

    We are considering using following convention:
    Assume my company General Electric.

    GE000000001
    GE000000002

    So all the usernames will be sequentials.

    I have security concern with this approach. One can easily write code
    to sequence through user names and attempt brute force attack. Is
    this volunerability about the same as if we select user name that
    follow standard user name convention such as jsmith or gwbush or using
    sequential numbers as username is more volunerable?

    Thanks,

    humbleFunGuy, Jul 17, 2008