Sequels...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Alchemist, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Alchemist

    Alchemist Guest

    This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..

    Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?

    The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    and that counts as AS GOOD AS.

    I'm not going to define the terms BETTER or AS GOOD...I think the
    discussion will be better stimulated without!

    On your marks.....get set......GO!!!

    <pours drink, sits back to watch>

    Al
    Trust me, I'm a chemist......

    Alchemist, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Alchemist

    NewcastleBoy Guest

    I hear that Spiderman II is supposedly better than the first Spiderman
    film.

    Also the latest Harry Potter film is consider to be better by many
    than the two films before it.

    NewcastleBoy

    NewcastleBoy, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Alchemist

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    > Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    > OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    > The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    > and that counts as AS GOOD AS.

    From recent history Shrek II kicked Shreck's ass. Spider-Man 2 was just
    as good as Spider-Man.

    Aliens beats Alien in my book. Army of Darkness is a whole plateau
    above the Evil Deads. Chasing Amy is the best of the Jay and Silent Bob
    films. Either Return of the King or The Two Towers was better than
    Fellowship, I'm not sure which was the best. Mission Impossible 2
    rocked, while the first was extremely lame. Rush Hour 2 was much better
    than Rush Hour, and oddly enough Shanghai Knights was also funnier than
    Shanghai Noon. Episode II was better than Episode I, but then again
    most everything is. Terminator 2 is the best of the series. Toy Story
    2 is just as good as Toy Story.

    I prefer A Chinese Ghost Story 2 and Once Upon a Time in China 2. Most
    prefer Swordsman 2 to the first, but I haven't seen the first, so I
    can't judge. The three Samurai films (based on Musashi) with Mifune are
    all pretty much of equal quality.

    Many would say Empire beats Star Wars, but they're wrong.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Alchemist

    Koenig Guest

    On 11 Jul 2004 01:29:05 -0700, (Alchemist)
    wrote:

    >This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    >Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    >OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    >The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    >and that counts as AS GOOD AS.
    >
    >I'm not going to define the terms BETTER or AS GOOD...I think the
    >discussion will be better stimulated without!

    Some easy ones of the top of my head

    Back to the Future 2
    Aliens
    Empire Strikes Back
    Shrek 2
    Toy Story 2

    --
    Trev

    "Every fear hides a wish"

    Fan Made DVD Commentaries - http://www.geocities.com/mmmcommentaries
    VizPoets Filmmakers - http://www.vizpoets.com

    Koenig, Jul 11, 2004
  5. On 11 Jul 2004 01:29:05 -0700, (Alchemist)
    wrote:

    >Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    >OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?

    Aliens, nearly good as Alien
    Terminator 2 better than the former.

    Goodalways

    Roland Deschain, Jul 11, 2004
  6. "Alchemist" <> wrote in message
    > This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    > Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    > OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?

    Star Trek, all of them were better than the original.

    Masked Patriot, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Alchemist

    Danny Guest

    On 11 Jul 2004 01:29:05 -0700, (Alchemist), wrote the
    following stuff about Sequels...:

    >This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    >Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    >OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    >The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    >and that counts as AS GOOD AS.
    >
    >I'm not going to define the terms BETTER or AS GOOD...I think the
    >discussion will be better stimulated without!

    Others have discussed many I agree with, but one missing:

    Gremlins 2 was just as good if not better than the first one :)

    We also discussed a while ago at lunch movie series where 1
    was great, 2 sucked, and 3 was better (although not necessarily
    as good as 1), even if the series continued.

    For example:
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Highlander
    Indiana Jones (although Temple of Doom didn't *suck*, it wasn't as good as the
    other 2)

    Seeya. Danny.

    --
    E-Mail: Danny (at) grovers (dash) sa (dot) com

    Danny, Jul 11, 2004
  8. Alchemist

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Alchemist wrote:

    > This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    > Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    > OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    > The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    > and that counts as AS GOOD AS.
    >
    > I'm not going to define the terms BETTER or AS GOOD...I think the
    > discussion will be better stimulated without!

    I'll respond to the OP with comments about other's responses, and I'll
    restrict myself to relatively current movies or those I have on DVD.

    IMHO:

    Personally I don't think Godfather II is as good as Godfather but both
    are excellent films so perhaps I'm quibbling here.
    Empire Strikes Back is better than Star Wars
    T2 is good but not as good as Terminator
    Aliens is good but not as good as Alien
    Toy Story 2 is as good as ToyStory, maybe better. It's close
    I liked American Pie 2 better than 1 but my daughter disagrees. YMMV.
    Bride of Frankenstein is equal to Frankenstein, many believe better.
    The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly is probably the best of the Man With No
    Name trilogy.
    A Shot in the Dark is at least as good as the Pink Panther.

    And I disagree with the poster(s) who said that Rush Hour 2 and Shanghai
    Knights were better than the originals, but I did enjoy both sequels.

    Shrek II is good but not quite up to Shrek, although opinions vary
    widely about this.

    I haven't seen it yet but Spider-man 2 has been called superior by lots
    of people and no one (that I've heard or read) who liked the original
    has thought the sequal was bad.

    I liked BTTF better than 2 or 3 but thought both were good.
    Indiana Jones 3 was much better than 2 but neither were as good as
    Raiders. [my wife likes 3 the best tho]

    I liked Magnum Force about as well as Dirty Harry, but I may be a cult
    of one here.

    Goldfinger was the best James Bond but I'm not sure you can call that
    series of movies sequals.

    Die Hard was better than either sequal but 3 was worth watching.

    Caddyshack 2 is DEFINITELY WORSE than Caddyshack, ditto Charlies Angels,
    Planet of the Apes, Mission Impossible, ...

    And there are lots of instances in which remakes were superior to the
    originals: the man who knew too much and Maltese Falcon being examples.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Jul 11, 2004
  9. Alchemist

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Alchemist wrote:

    > This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    > Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    > OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    > The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    > and that counts as AS GOOD AS.
    >
    > I'm not going to define the terms BETTER or AS GOOD...I think the
    > discussion will be better stimulated without!

    Off the top of my head the ones I can think of are Terminator 2, The
    Empire Strikes Back, Star Trek II The Wrath of Kahn, and Spiderman 2.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Jul 11, 2004
  10. Alchemist

    Mike Kohary Guest

    wrote:

    >This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    >Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    >OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    >The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    >and that counts as AS GOOD AS.

    Agreed on Godfather I and II, as well as Star Wars and The Empire
    Strikes Back, which are a magnificent one-two punch (and Return of the
    Jedi was subsequently such a disappointment). Superman and Superman
    II come very, very close - if only John Williams had conducted the
    score for the second movie, and Richard Donner had not been removed
    from the project.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jul 11, 2004
  11. Alchemist

    Shinner Guest

    Dick Sidbury <> wrote in news:2ld3ckFaa754U1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > I liked American Pie 2 better than 1 but my daughter disagrees. YMMV.

    I'll stick with the first one. AP2 was very much a rehash.

    > Shrek II is good but not quite up to Shrek, although opinions vary
    > widely about this.

    Again, I think the original was better. Not because the sequel was a rehash
    but because it had me looking at my watch about every 20 minutes.

    > I haven't seen it yet but Spider-man 2 has been called superior by lots
    > of people and no one (that I've heard or read) who liked the original
    > has thought the sequal was bad.

    I might go with #2 on this one...the web swinging seemed alot better this
    time around and not as noticeable re CGI...though CGI seemed like it must
    have been used alot more in #2.

    > Caddyshack 2 is DEFINITELY WORSE than Caddyshack

    Possibly the WORST sequel of all time, and maybe the worst movie. Dan
    Akroyd has no shame.

    Shinner, Jul 11, 2004
  12. Alchemist

    zoltan47 Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:27:05 +1000, "Masked Patriot"
    <> wrote:

    >"Alchemist" <> wrote in message
    >> This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >>
    >> Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    >> OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?

    >Star Trek, all of them were better than the original.

    I gotta disagree slightly on this one. The original's main problem
    was that it was a snooze fest, but 5 was awful.

    zoltan47, Jul 11, 2004
  13. Alchemist

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:13:10 -0700, Mike Kohary <>
    wrote:

    >On 11 Jul 2004 01:29:05 -0700, (Alchemist)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >>
    >>Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    >>OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >>
    >>The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    >>and that counts as AS GOOD AS.

    >Agreed on Godfather I and II, as well as Star Wars and The Empire
    >Strikes Back, which are a magnificent one-two punch (and Return of the
    >Jedi was subsequently such a disappointment). Superman and Superman
    >II come very, very close - if only John Williams had conducted the
    >score for the second movie, and Richard Donner had not been removed
    >from the project.

    I would also add that lately there seems to be a trend towards
    high-quality sequels that at least rival the originals. Shrek 2,
    Spiderman 2, the LOTR movies, the Harry Potter series, Toy Story
    2...all excellent subsequent films. Where sequel used to mean "cheap
    knockoff" in order to milk a franchise for every last penny, it now
    seems that filmmakers are making sequels in the best interest of their
    own merits. IMO this is a very positive trend.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jul 11, 2004
  14. Alchemist

    Rutgar Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:02:08 -0500, Dale Hicks <>
    wrote:

    >From recent history Shrek II kicked Shreck's ass. Spider-Man 2 was just
    >as good as Spider-Man.
    >
    >Aliens beats Alien in my book. Army of Darkness is a whole plateau
    >above the Evil Deads. Chasing Amy is the best of the Jay and Silent Bob
    >films. Either Return of the King or The Two Towers was better than
    >Fellowship, I'm not sure which was the best. Mission Impossible 2
    >rocked, while the first was extremely lame. Rush Hour 2 was much better
    >than Rush Hour, and oddly enough Shanghai Knights was also funnier than
    >Shanghai Noon. Episode II was better than Episode I, but then again
    >most everything is. Terminator 2 is the best of the series. Toy Story
    >2 is just as good as Toy Story.
    >
    >I prefer A Chinese Ghost Story 2 and Once Upon a Time in China 2. Most
    >prefer Swordsman 2 to the first, but I haven't seen the first, so I
    >can't judge. The three Samurai films (based on Musashi) with Mifune are
    >all pretty much of equal quality.
    >
    >Many would say Empire beats Star Wars, but they're wrong.

    Agree about T2, and Aliens.

    Return of the King, and The Two Towers should not be in your list,
    because they're not sequels. The Lord of the Rings movies are all
    ONE long singly story, and was only broken up into three films.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Jul 11, 2004
  15. (Alchemist) wrote:

    >Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    >OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    >The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    >and that counts as AS GOOD AS.

    Aliens.

    Byeeeee.
    --
    Gadzooks - here comes the Harbourmaster!
    http://www.geocities.com/brettocallaghan - Newsgroup Stats for Agent

    Brett O'Callaghan, Jul 11, 2004
  16. Alchemist wrote:

    > This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    > Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    > OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    > The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    > and that counts as AS GOOD AS.
    >
    > I'm not going to define the terms BETTER or AS GOOD...I think the
    > discussion will be better stimulated without!
    >
    > On your marks.....get set......GO!!!
    >
    > <pours drink, sits back to watch>
    >
    > Yes, yesss, that's right--BWAAHAHAHAAA!! Dance, my little puppets, dance!
    > I control the Net..I control *everything!...I'm the god, I'M the god!!

    (Now, here's where we bring up a little-known piece of online
    netiquette...) ;)

    Derek Janssen (namely, try not to use capitals too much)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 11, 2004
  17. Alchemist

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    >
    > Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    > OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    >
    > The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    > and that counts as AS GOOD AS.
    >
    > I'm not going to define the terms BETTER or AS GOOD...I think the
    > discussion will be better stimulated without!

    A recent example: SPIDER-MAN 2 is *far* better than the first.

    There are a number of other examples, including:

    FRANKENSTEIN and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
    STAR TREK--THE MOTION PICTURE and STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
    ALIEN and ALIENS
    MAD MAX and MAD MAX 2 / THE ROAD WARRIOR
    STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    LETHAL WEAPON and LETHAL WEAPON 2
    A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
    YOJIMBO and SANJURO
    THE YEAR MY VOICE BROKE and FLIRTING
    TARZAN THE APE MAN and TARZAN AND HIS MATE
    CAT PEOPLE and CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE

    et alia.

    I leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide in which cases
    the sequel is better, and in which are they as good (or almost as
    good).

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 12, 2004
  18. Alchemist

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > Star Trek, all of them were better than the original.

    I would say about half of them were better, the other half worse.
    Which films fall into which category has been a point of endless
    debate.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 12, 2004
  19. Alchemist

    Biz Guest

    "Andrew Venor" <> wrote in message
    > Alchemist wrote:
    >
    > > This one pops up at dinner parties at our place fairly regularly..
    > >
    > > Is there a movie (or movies) that has a sequel, where, in your
    > > OPINION, the sequel was BETTER or AS GOOD as the original?
    > >
    > > The ONLY example I can come up with personally is Godfather I and II
    > > and that counts as AS GOOD AS.
    > >
    > > I'm not going to define the terms BETTER or AS GOOD...I think the
    > > discussion will be better stimulated without!
    > >

    > Off the top of my head the ones I can think of are Terminator 2, The
    > Empire Strikes Back, Star Trek II The Wrath of Kahn, and Spiderman 2.
    >
    > ALV

    The Two Towers was better than The Fellowship of the Ring

    The Return of the King was better than The Two Towers...

    Biz, Jul 12, 2004
  20. Alchemist

    Koenig Guest

    Koenig, Jul 12, 2004