Sepia

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Conrad, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Hi,

    Interesting recent discussion on Sepia tone pictures at Photoshop
    Usenet site. I've been using Sepia setting for some pictures with my
    Canon Digital Rebel. I know this is a no-no with many people but I
    wanted to see what the camera could do.

    However, if you set on Raw capture (creative mode) - Sepia setting
    yields color image. This makes sense, I guess, since Raw means
    no/little processing by camera software. I guess "color" is the default
    setting in the creative zone of this camera.

    Canon Digital rebel also allows dual settings and when Raw plus jpeg
    are selected - you get a color image and Sepia (when sepia is the
    selected capture version) with one shot. Isn't technology wonderful.

    Best,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Conrad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Interesting recent discussion on Sepia tone pictures at Photoshop
    > Usenet site. I've been using Sepia setting for some pictures with my
    > Canon Digital Rebel. I know this is a no-no with many people but I
    > wanted to see what the camera could do.
    >
    > However, if you set on Raw capture (creative mode) - Sepia setting
    > yields color image. This makes sense, I guess, since Raw means
    > no/little processing by camera software. I guess "color" is the default
    > setting in the creative zone of this camera.
    >
    > Canon Digital rebel also allows dual settings and when Raw plus jpeg
    > are selected - you get a color image and Sepia (when sepia is the
    > selected capture version) with one shot. Isn't technology wonderful.

    Conrad-

    Since you are experimenting a bit, download Lightroom (beta 4) and play
    with some of the settings there for both B+W and sepia, straight out of
    RAW..... lots of fun!

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Conrad <> wrote:
    : Hi,

    : Interesting recent discussion on Sepia tone pictures at Photoshop
    : Usenet site. I've been using Sepia setting for some pictures with my
    : Canon Digital Rebel. I know this is a no-no with many people but I
    : wanted to see what the camera could do.

    : However, if you set on Raw capture (creative mode) - Sepia setting
    : yields color image. This makes sense, I guess, since Raw means
    : no/little processing by camera software. I guess "color" is the default
    : setting in the creative zone of this camera.

    : Canon Digital rebel also allows dual settings and when Raw plus jpeg
    : are selected - you get a color image and Sepia (when sepia is the
    : selected capture version) with one shot. Isn't technology wonderful.

    There's a good reason why Sepia is rendered in a "color" space. The
    brownish tint that characterizes Sepia is neither white or black. So for
    Sepia to be rendered it requires a color component to the data. You can
    get a pseudo-Sepia by capturing or changing a color image to grey tone and
    then changing back to color before applying a tan wash to the entire
    image. Some cameras do not change to grey tone before the wash and
    so you may get a color image with the sepia wash instead of a B&W image
    with the wash. Not very appropriate. Also the Sepia in camera tends to
    have only one value and so I tend to do all my Sepia conversion in post so
    I can have a little more control over the degree of coloration applied.
    And to make it even more effective I sometimes lighten or darken the Sepia
    tone in blotches. This makes the finished image look much more like the
    old images with the browning of the paper that has become known as Sepia.
    :)

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL