    __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4715 (20091224) __________

    Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

    http://www.eset.com
    Peter Rubens, Dec 24, 2009

  2. Honestly, it won't make much if any difference. You can move the page file
    using the System applet in the Control Panel (sysdm.cpl), and clicking on
    the Advanced Tab, Performance Options, Advanced Tab, Virtual Memory->Change
    button. Temp files are controlled by the Environment Variables button on the
    first of those Advanced tabs. I don't think you can easily change the
    hibernate file.

    But, as I said, I don't think you'll gain anything noticable.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 24, 2009

  3. Peter Rubens

    Carlos Guest

    Peter,
    Go to your Computer Properties (Win key + Pause) and click (left pane) on
    "Advanced System Configuration" (I am translating from Spanish into English
    so there may be some differences).
    Go to the Advanced Options tab, and click on Configuration in the
    Performance Section (that would be the upper one).
    Now go to the Advanced Options Tab and click the button "Change" in Virtual
    Memory.
    There you go.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 24, 2009
  4. Hi,
    i bet a buck on it:

    You cannot speed up hibernate mode at all !

    ;-))

    jk
    Happy christmas
    Juergen Kluth, Dec 24, 2009
  5. Placing the pagefil.sys on any other partition on the same hard drive will
    only slow the system down. It puts the page file out of the way of the
    system files and it then takes longer to access the page file due to extra
    drive head movement. If you place the page file on a second hard drive, on
    the same IDE controller you will NOT see any speed increase. The two drives
    must share the resources of the same controller.

    Now, If you place the page file on a hard drive on a different IDE
    controller, the two drive can read/write simultaneously - which will likely
    show you a difference.

    Note that if you have SATA drives each hard drive is on its own controller.
    You can place the page file on any other drive (than the system drive) and
    will likely see an improvement.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Dec 25, 2009
  6. Peter Rubens

    James Kosin Guest

    On 12/24/2009 3:16 PM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Honestly, it won't make much if any difference. You can move the page
    > file using the System applet in the Control Panel (sysdm.cpl), and
    > clicking on the Advanced Tab, Performance Options, Advanced Tab, Virtual
    > Memory->Change button. Temp files are controlled by the Environment
    > Variables button on the first of those Advanced tabs. I don't think you
    > can easily change the hibernate file.
    >
    > But, as I said, I don't think you'll gain anything noticable.

    I agree, the old days; one moved these files to a different drive to
    increase performance. The IDE interface was able to simultaneously
    access both drives at the same time reducing the overhead of having the
    pagefile on the same partition as the OS.

    With much faster drives these days; you'd probably not notice the small,
    insignificant increase.

    Oh, by the way another partition on the same drive doesn't count!
    James Kosin, Dec 26, 2009
  7. Peter Rubens

    Poutnik Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Placing the pagefil.sys on any other partition on the same hard drive will
    > only slow the system down. It puts the page file out of the way of the
    > system files and it then takes longer to access the page file due to extra
    > drive head movement. If you place the page file on a second hard drive, on
    > the same IDE controller you will NOT see any speed increase. The two drives
    > must share the resources of the same controller.

    Even if drives share the same computer resources,
    they do not share their disk heads.

    Disks are faster then before,
    but speed of disks grows much slower than speed of computers,
    being their bottleneck. There is much time spent
    by disk head travelling.

    --
    Poutnik
    The best depends on how the best is defined.
    Poutnik, Dec 26, 2009
  8. With 2 drives on the same IDE controller when one drive is actively
    reading/writing the other drive is in a wait state. The resources fluctuate
    back and forth.

    With a 2nd drive on a different controller both drives can read/write
    simultaneously!

    Richard Urban, Dec 26, 2009
  9. Peter Rubens

    Peter Rubens Guest

    OK so there is no gain in speed.
    But what about fragmentation, there will be no more fragmentation......
    That is the gain.

    __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4723 (20091228) __________

    Peter Rubens, Dec 28, 2009
  10. Peter Rubens

    Poutnik Guest

    > "Richard Urban" <> schreef in

    bericht
    > > With 2 drives on the same IDE controller when one drive is actively
    > > reading/writing the other drive is in a wait state. The resources
    > > fluctuate back and forth.
    > >
    > > With a 2nd drive on a different controller both drives can read/write
    > > simultaneously!

    But, IMHO,
    the IDE or SATA disk bus waits for the disk much more often,
    then the opposite.

    It can work with one disk,
    while waiting for the other
    to write data from disk cache,
    or until data to be read are ready in disk cache.

    Poutnik, Dec 28, 2009