    account? Is there any other more original alternative?

    Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

    Matteo
    Matteo, Sep 14, 2005

  2. Matteo

    Gordon Guest

    "Matteo" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm in the following situation: I'm sharing a house (in the UK) with a
    > couple of people who have a broadband connection. They are sharing it
    > with me, but every time I have to ask them to sign in (it's an AOL
    > bb). I would like to sign up for a private connection that would
    > allow me a more flexible usage (especially VoIP).
    >
    > I am not quite sure what should I do. Do I need to set-up an
    > additional phone line?

    AFAIK you can only have one BB service on one phone line. To set up another
    BB service you would indeed need another phone line. An alternative might be
    cable, depending on where you live.
    Gordon, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Matteo

    Mike Easter Guest

    Matteo wrote:

    > I'm in the following situation: I'm sharing a house (in the UK) with a
    > couple of people who have a broadband connection.

    Presuming such broadband connection to be an adsl modem connected to the
    CO by telephone copper wire. Which means that there is most likely a
    provider for the adsl/copper and then another provider for the internet
    access. I wonder how that is contracted.

    > They are sharing it
    > with me, but every time I have to ask them to sign in (it's an AOL
    > bb).

    Which indicates that AOL is providing for the internet access. Likely
    that access involves some other carrier/s from the adsl modem to AOL's
    interface..

    > I would like to sign up for a private connection that would
    > allow me a more flexible usage (especially VoIP).

    A 'private connection'? What exactly does that mean? You would like to
    have a different wire and a different modem? The ways of connecting to
    the internet are adsl, cable modem, some varieties of wireless, and
    telephone modem. There are various hybrids involving telephone and
    satellite.

    Or, do you mean you want to 'fork' away from AOL at the adsl CO. You
    might want to make a separate subscription to a different adsl internet
    provider. Hmm. That seems conceivable.

    You haven't yet described the physical layout for what is being shared.
    Are you sharing the same computer which is hooked to the adsl modem and
    you just logon separately? Or do you mean the adsl modem is networked
    with a router or something to more than one computer? Is this indeed
    adsl broadband over telephone lines? What is available in your
    geographical area? Cable? What do you have the 'liberty' to physically
    install in this home you are sharing? That is, the installation of what
    physical connectivity?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 14, 2005