    Oly has 18.00 x 13.50 mm and 8 MP. Smaller sensor with more MP or bigger
    sensor with less MP? If these 2 cameras were completely same except the
    sensor, which one would be better choice and why?Thanks

    freightcar, Feb 4, 2006

  2. freightcar" <"remove quotes"freight"car"@"gmail"."com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know the bigger the better :) but...
    > Comparing Oly E-500 vs Nikon D50, Nikon has 23.7 x 15.5 mm and 6 MP
    > and Oly has 18.00 x 13.50 mm and 8 MP. Smaller sensor with more MP or
    > bigger sensor with less MP? If these 2 cameras were completely same
    > except the sensor, which one would be better choice and why?Thanks

    It's not the size, but how you use it, that counts. Ask any lady
    photographer.

    Dennis Pogson, Feb 4, 2006

  3. > I know the bigger the better :) but...

    so you know something that isn't true.

    > Comparing Oly E-500 vs Nikon D50, Nikon has 23.7 x 15.5 mm and 6 MP and
    > Oly has 18.00 x 13.50 mm and 8 MP. Smaller sensor with more MP or bigger
    > sensor with less MP? If these 2 cameras were completely same except the
    > sensor, which one would be better choice and why?Thanks

    Nikon, their sensor is superior in technology. If Olympus had a sensor the
    same size as the Nikon sensor I'd still go for the Nikon.
    Neither sensor size nor MP count says everything, and sensor size says
    nothing at all.

    Jeroen Wenting, Feb 4, 2006
  4. freightcar

    [BnH] Guest

    Olympus sensor arguably has a very high resolution.
    Supported by their excellent glass , it enables you as a photographer to see
    details that will cost at least 3x when you are using a Nikon PRO glass.

    I myself is a Nikon pro glass user with 13 lens array in my collection, and
    I have a friend who basically owns all the pro glass of ANY 35mm major brand
    [ Leica, Nikon, Canon, Olympus and the list goes on.. all those flower pots
    and anti tank missle lens :D] and his daily carry round gear now ..
    is a Oly E-500 + 14-54 Oly glass [with also 35-100 and 150 glass ready in
    his bag]
    http://www.myfourthirds.com/user.php?id=2280&page=user_images

    If you are not shooting serious sport and mostly do portaiture , I would
    suggest you to have a look at Olympus line.
    Their image quality are simply stunning !

    =bob=

    [BnH], Feb 4, 2006
  5. freightcar

    SMS Guest

    freightcar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know the bigger the better :) but...
    > Comparing Oly E-500 vs Nikon D50, Nikon has 23.7 x 15.5 mm and 6 MP and
    > Oly has 18.00 x 13.50 mm and 8 MP. Smaller sensor with more MP or bigger
    > sensor with less MP? If these 2 cameras were completely same except the
    > sensor, which one would be better choice and why?Thank

    The D50. The pixel size is larger (7.8u versus 5.4u), and the noise
    level is lower. The D50 gives good results at ISO 800, and usable
    results at ISO 1600. The E-500 gives good results at ISO 400, and
    marginal results at ISO 800.

    It's not clear if the difference in noise is solely due to the much
    larger pixel pitch of the sensor in the D50, or if part of the reason is
    something Nikon did in terms of noise-reduction.

    SMS, Feb 4, 2006
  6. freightcar" <"remove quotes"freight"car"@"gmail"."com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know the bigger the better :) but...
    > Comparing Oly E-500 vs Nikon D50, Nikon has 23.7 x 15.5 mm and 6 MP
    > and Oly has 18.00 x 13.50 mm and 8 MP. Smaller sensor with more MP or
    > bigger sensor with less MP? If these 2 cameras were completely same
    > except the sensor, which one would be better choice and why?Thanks

    I would look at the results of both and then decide. The specifications
    noted do not convert directly to results and it is the results not the
    specifics that I am interested in when I buy.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 4, 2006
  7. "freightcar" <"remove quotes"freight"car"@"gmail"."com"> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know the bigger the better :) but...
    > Comparing Oly E-500 vs Nikon D50, Nikon has 23.7 x 15.5 mm and 6 MP and
    > Oly has 18.00 x 13.50 mm and 8 MP. Smaller sensor with more MP or bigger
    > sensor with less MP? If these 2 cameras were completely same except the
    > sensor, which one would be better choice and why?Thanks

    The Nikon has more lenses available from Nikon and third parties. Olympus
    lenses are quite pricey overall.

    Darrell Larose, Feb 4, 2006
  8. freightcar

    Crash Gordon Guest

    I've shot some stuff with my E500 at ISO 1600 that was not nearly as noisy
    as Fujifilm 800 pushed two stops - either way it's hard to shoot a moving
    ballerina on stage with almost no light...but cheaper with E500 than film
    :)

    Crash Gordon, Feb 4, 2006
  9. freightcar

    Pete D Guest

    "Darrell Larose" <> wrote in message

    > "freightcar" <"remove quotes"freight"car"@"gmail"."com"> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I know the bigger the better :) but...
    >> Comparing Oly E-500 vs Nikon D50, Nikon has 23.7 x 15.5 mm and 6 MP and
    >> Oly has 18.00 x 13.50 mm and 8 MP. Smaller sensor with more MP or bigger
    >> sensor with less MP? If these 2 cameras were completely same except the
    >> sensor, which one would be better choice and why?Thanks
    >>

    > The Nikon has more lenses available from Nikon and third parties. Olympus
    > lenses are quite pricey overall.

    Buyers of these cheap Oly's are not going to buy too many lenses, they will
    probably buy the kit with the two basic lenses so the price of any other
    lenses most likely will not matter one jot, from what I read though the
    Oly's are about the last choice for low light.

    Pete D, Feb 4, 2006
  10. freightcar

    Rich Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 02:18:31 -0800, SMS <>
    wrote:

    >freightcar wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I know the bigger the better :) but...
    >> Comparing Oly E-500 vs Nikon D50, Nikon has 23.7 x 15.5 mm and 6 MP and
    >> Oly has 18.00 x 13.50 mm and 8 MP. Smaller sensor with more MP or bigger
    >> sensor with less MP? If these 2 cameras were completely same except the
    >> sensor, which one would be better choice and why?Thank

    >The D50. The pixel size is larger (7.8u versus 5.4u), and the noise
    >level is lower. The D50 gives good results at ISO 800, and usable
    >results at ISO 1600. The E-500 gives good results at ISO 400, and
    >marginal results at ISO 800.
    >
    >It's not clear if the difference in noise is solely due to the much
    >larger pixel pitch of the sensor in the D50, or if part of the reason is
    >something Nikon did in terms of noise-reduction.

    Yes, under lower light conditions, the Nikon is better, but NOT for
    resolving detail under normal conditions. 8 meg will always beat 6
    meg.
    -Rich

    Rich, Feb 5, 2006