    Folks,

    If there is dust on the sensor (20D), does it appear as black specs or
    can it also appear as specs that are lighter than the background color?
    W (winhag), Mar 23, 2006

  2. W (winhag)

    Jim Townsend Guest

    W (winhag) wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > If there is dust on the sensor (20D), does it appear as black specs or
    > can it also appear as specs that are lighter than the background color?

    Take a picture of a solid featureless area (like the sky) at f/22

    The dust will appear clearly as black smudges and specks.. You
    might even get a hair or two.

    If you really want to see all the dust on your sensor, go one step
    further and apply auto levels to your sky image.
    Jim Townsend, Mar 23, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    winhag <> wrote:

    > If there is dust on the sensor (20D), does it appear as black specs or
    > can it also appear as specs that are lighter than the background color?

    Are there specks that show up in the same location within the frame no
    matter what you photograph?

    Phil Stripling, Mar 23, 2006
  4. W (winhag)

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > W (winhag) asks ...
    >
    >If there is dust on the sensor (20D), does it appear as black specs or
    >can it also appear as specs that are lighter than the background color?

    Always black ...
    Bill Hilton, Mar 23, 2006
  5. W (winhag)

    Jay Beckman Guest

    "Phil Stripling" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > winhag <> wrote:
    >
    >> If there is dust on the sensor (20D), does it appear as black specs or
    >> can it also appear as specs that are lighter than the background color?

    > Are there specks that show up in the same location within the frame no
    > matter what you photograph?

    Because they are on the sensor, they will always be in the exact same place
    in the photo.
    Jay Beckman, Mar 23, 2006
  6. W (winhag)

    W (winhag) Guest

    Thanks all. I haven't done a detailed check as suggested. The reason
    for my post was that I had notice some 'unnatural' light 'spots' on the
    petals of flowers I had shot.
    W (winhag), Mar 23, 2006
  7. W (winhag)

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > W (winhag) writes ...
    >
    >Thanks all. I haven't done a detailed check as suggested. The reason
    >for my post was that I had notice some 'unnatural' light 'spots' on the
    >petals of flowers I had shot

    Sensor dust will be black but a bad pixel might be white so perhaps
    that's what you're seeing?
    Bill Hilton, Mar 23, 2006