sending snmp traps

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ross, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Ross

    Ross Guest

    Hi guys

    Not sure if this is possible, but here goes.

    I need to know the values for certain cisco mibs and when they change.
    I can poll a router via snmp for these values, but seeing as I need
    to now the moment they change it seems a little pointless to
    continually poll for these values(and waste bandiwdth and cpu load
    doing so). The best option would be for the router to generate a trap
    if the state changes. The problem is, the information I require is
    for certain specific multicast streams, and not available as a
    standard trap.

    Is there anyway to get the router to generate a trap based on the oid
    you specify rather than just "snmp-server enable traps bgp"? e.g.
    "snmp-server enable traps x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x."

    Bit of a long shot, but thought I'd ask :)

    Many thanks

    Ross

    Ross, Mar 1, 2004