Sending Secure Email with Digital ID Verisign

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by David F, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. David F

    David F Guest

    Many people email sensitive information by email when they should not. When
    using the internet it pays to be paranoid and it is quite easy and
    inexpensive to install a digital ID for encryption.

    Although not listed on the Microsoft website as a provider of digital ID
    certificates for Office 2007 on this page:
    https://digitalid.verisign.com/enrollment/MS_pcmp.htm

    Verisign is indeed a provider. Special instructions have to be followed
    when requesting a certificate with Vista/IE7 which are listed on the top of
    the certificate enrollment page.
    https://digitalid.verisign.com/client/class1MS.htm

    Also special instructions for installing a certificate in various version of
    Outlook including Outlook 2007 are here:
    http://www.verisign.com/support/digital-id-support/page_dev029379.html

    Certificate costs are $20/year but you can get a 60 day free trial to try it
    out.

    The certificate allows for both:
    1. Digital signing.
    2. Encrypted email (the receipient of the email must have a certificate as
    well).
    The encrypted email is very important for sending secure information
    including credit care numbers, social security numbers, and patient medical
    information. Some people send secure information such as this without
    encryption but they should not.
    David F, Jan 30, 2008

  2. David F wrote:

    >Verisign is indeed a provider.

    I choose to not deal with Verisign at every opportunity.

    They're the company that tried to hijack bad DNS requests to refer traffic
    to themselves. They're the company that now makes "protective"
    registrations of names that you look up (for prospective purchase) via
    their site.

    The litany of bad practices at Verisign is ridiculously long.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Feb 1, 2008

  3. David F

    David F Guest

    Well, you're perfectly entitled to pay the $360 / year that the two listed
    Office 2007 vendors charge instead of the $20/year I spend using Verisign.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EY010504841033.aspx is the
    list without Verisign (that needs to be corrected to add it) and has

    http://www.avocosecure.com/html_pages/secure2trust/secure2trust_buy.htm
    Price: USD 370.00 [Volume discount prices]

    http://www.intellisafe.com/microsoft.htm
    $360 - 12 month subscription (following 1 month unlimited signing)

    David F, Feb 1, 2008
  4. http://www.comodo.com offers free email certificates.

    --
    Mark R. Cusumano
    Skype Name: mark.cusumano

    Mark R. Cusumano, Feb 2, 2008
  5. David F wrote:

    >Well, you're perfectly entitled to pay the $360 / year that the two listed
    >Office 2007 vendors charge instead of the $20/year I spend using Verisign.

    Who said anything about using Microsoft recommended suppliers? I simply
    said that I would not touch Verisign with a 10ft bargepole.

    There are plenty of free certificate options (for personal, non-commercial
    use), and just as many offering inexpensive commercial ones, without
    resorting to either Verisign or a vendor charging $360pa (and I can't
    believe that *anyone* would pay that sort of money for an individual
    certificate).

    I use Thawte free certificates for my personal use, and have a commercial
    one from XRamp for work.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Feb 3, 2008