    Does this still work within XP??

    If so what is it?

    Thanks

    PhilÅ, Apr 26, 2005

  2. PhilÅ

    Dave Lear Guest

    "PhilÅ" wrote in message news:jXtbe.6757$

    > Years ago I used to use a command to sent a net message to another
    > users desktop.
    > The SW was all within windows.
    > Something like winpopup??
    > Does this still work within XP??
    > If so what is it?

    WINPOPUP.EXE was included as part of Win95 / Win98 / WinME. It's not present
    under WinNT4 / Win2000Pro / WinXP but under those O/S's you can use the
    command line tool NET SEND - to see the format of the command do this...

    Start

    Run

    CMD

    NET SEND /?

    Bear in mind, however, that under WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed the
    Messenger service (which is what receives the NET SEND message and displays
    it) is Disabled by default.

    Dave Lear, Apr 26, 2005

  3. PhilÅ

    shrew Guest

    shrew, Apr 26, 2005
  4. shrew wrote:

    [stuff, from a web gateway]

    ===

    You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
    fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather than
    some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and
    IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP)
    capability. Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take
    control of your own Usenet experience.

    [1]Even with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express,
    which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this activity
    that wasn't meant for webification.

    ===

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 26, 2005
  5. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "PhilÅ" wrote in message news:jXtbe.6757$
    >
    >> Years ago I used to use a command to sent a net message to another
    >> users desktop.
    >> The SW was all within windows.
    >> Something like winpopup??
    >> Does this still work within XP??
    >> If so what is it?

    > WINPOPUP.EXE was included as part of Win95 / Win98 / WinME. It's not
    > present under WinNT4 / Win2000Pro / WinXP but under those O/S's you can
    > use the command line tool NET SEND - to see the format of the command do
    > this...
    >
    > Start
    >
    > Run
    >
    > CMD
    >
    > NET SEND /?
    >
    > Bear in mind, however, that under WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed the
    > Messenger service (which is what receives the NET SEND message and
    > displays it) is Disabled by default.

    Hi Dave

    Have tried this

    C:\DOCUME~1\PHIL>net send 192.168.0.6 test
    An error occurred while sending a message to 192.168.0.6.

    The message alias could not be found on the network.

    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.

    C:\DOCUME~1\PHIL>ping 192.168.0.6

    Pinging 192.168.0.6 with 32 bytes of data:

    just to let you know, sending PC is XP SP2 and receiving is WinME

    PhilÅ, Apr 26, 2005
  6. PhilÅ

    John Holmes Guest

    PhilÅ asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    >> "PhilÅ" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Years ago I used to use a command to sent a net message to another
    >>> users desktop.
    >>> The SW was all within windows.
    >>> Something like winpopup??
    >>> Does this still work within XP??
    >>> If so what is it?

    >> WINPOPUP.EXE was included as part of Win95 / Win98 / WinME. It's not
    >> present under WinNT4 / Win2000Pro / WinXP but under those O/S's you
    >> can use the command line tool NET SEND - to see the format of the
    >> command do this...
    >>
    >> Start
    >>
    >> Run
    >>
    >> CMD
    >>
    >> NET SEND /?
    >>
    >> Bear in mind, however, that under WinXP with Service Pack 2 installed
    >> the Messenger service (which is what receives the NET SEND message
    >> and displays it) is Disabled by default.
    >>

    > Hi Dave
    >
    > Have tried this
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\PHIL>net send 192.168.0.6 test
    > An error occurred while sending a message to 192.168.0.6.
    >
    > The message alias could not be found on the network.
    >
    > More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.
    >

    > C:\DOCUME~1\PHIL>ping 192.168.0.6
    >
    > Pinging 192.168.0.6 with 32 bytes of data:
    >
    > Reply from 192.168.0.6: bytes=32 time=498ms TTL=128
    > Reply from 192.168.0.6: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=128
    > Reply from 192.168.0.6: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=128
    > Reply from 192.168.0.6: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=128
    >

    > just to let you know, sending PC is XP SP2 and receiving is WinME

    Run winpopup on the ME machine and try again. FYI, winpopup is not needed
    on NT/W2K/XP machines. If you want to send a message from a ME machine to
    an XP machine, you can do it from winpopup. The receiving PC will display
    the message on the desktop, unless its firewalled or the messenger
    service has been disabled.

    --
    Your mother was a prolific cut-throat who got arrested performing lewd
    acts with the help of volunteer workers.

    John Holmes, Apr 26, 2005
  7. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    It is the other way round I am a trying?

    PhilÅ, Apr 26, 2005
  8. PhilÅ

    John Holmes Guest

    PhilÅ asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > It is the other way round I am a trying?
    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> PhilÅ asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi Dave
    >>>
    >>> Have tried this
    >>>
    >>> C:\DOCUME~1\PHIL>net send 192.168.0.6 test
    >>> An error occurred while sending a message to 192.168.0.6.
    >>>
    >>> The message alias could not be found on the network.
    >>>
    >>> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2273.
    >>>

    >>> C:\DOCUME~1\PHIL>ping 192.168.0.6
    >>>
    >>> Pinging 192.168.0.6 with 32 bytes of data:
    >>>
    >>> Reply from 192.168.0.6: bytes=32 time=498ms TTL=128
    >>> Reply from 192.168.0.6: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=128
    >>> Reply from 192.168.0.6: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=128
    >>> Reply from 192.168.0.6: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=128
    >>>

    >>> just to let you know, sending PC is XP SP2 and receiving is WinME
    >>>

    >> Run winpopup on the ME machine and try again. FYI, winpopup is not
    >> needed on NT/W2K/XP machines. If you want to send a message from a ME
    >> machine to an XP machine, you can do it from winpopup. The receiving
    >> PC will display the message on the desktop, unless its firewalled or
    >> the messenger service has been disabled.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Your mother was a prolific cut-throat who got arrested performing
    >> lewd acts with the help of volunteer workers.

    Are you mental?

    --
    Your mother was a mud-soaked fortune seeker who answered a call of nature
    in a secure compound.

    John Holmes, Apr 26, 2005
  9. "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message news:<jXtbe.6757$>...
    > Hello
    >
    > Years ago I used to use a command to sent a net message to another users
    > desktop.
    >
    > The SW was all within windows.
    >
    > Something like winpopup??
    >
    > Does this still work within XP??
    >
    > If so what is it?
    >
    > Thanks

    You can try these WinPopup messenger:
    winpopup express (compatible with netsend also):
    http://www.namtuk.com/mywinpopup.aspx
    or
    winpopup gold:
    http://www.smartison.com/

    works fine both
    jc

    Station Media, Apr 27, 2005
  10. PhilÅ

    sr-thebadboy

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    TO BE ABLE TO SEND messages over a local network, first, the network between computers has to be up and running!!!

    + THEN, you need to INSTALL NET SEND service on your Windows:
    - to INSTALL the service (to make it work on your copy of
    Windows, you need to do this on every PC you wish to
    send/receive messages):
    1) left-click on "Start" button -> choose "Run" (or hit
    "Windows+R" key on your keyboard)
    -> type in "services.msc"
    2) scroll down to "Messenger", double-click on it;
    3) change "Startup type:" into "Automatic" and hit "Apply".
    4) then hit again on "Start" -> "Run" -> "cmd"
    5) type in: "net name", then hit "Y" and let
    the service start...
    5) type in: "net view" to see all the names of all the
    PCs on the network
    6) now, if you want for "NET SEND" to work every time after you
    re-start your windows (your computer), you will need to do this:
    a) open "Start" -> "My Computer" -> "Drive (C)"
    b) click on "Tools" -> "Folder Options...", click on "View" tab
    and make sure that the "Hide extensions for known files and
    folders" option is UNCHECKED!!!
    c) in the folder, right click on a blank spot and choose: "New"
    -> "Text Document" - name the file "messenger.txt"
    d) open the newly created file, copy and paste this text in it
    exactly the same way as follows (do not include dashes in the
    file, they are to show you the start and the end of the file):

    -------------------------------------
    @echo off
    sc config messenger start= auto > nul
    sc stop messenger
    ping 1.1.1.1 -n 10 -w 1000
    sc start messenger
    -------------------------------------

    e) hit on "File" -> "Save" and X it out;
    f) now rename your file from "messenger.txt" into "messenger.bat"
    and hit "Yes" (if message comes up);
    g) now right-click-and-hold on that file and drag it onto your
    desktop - choose "Create Shortcut Here";
    h) right-click on this newly created chortcut and hit
    "Properties", then in the "Run" field choose "Minimized" and
    then hit on "General" tab and type in this in the top field:
    "Re-Start Messenger Service.BAT", then hit on "Apply" and then
    on "OK" buttons.
    i) now you need to MOVE this shortcut to your "Startup" folder in
    Start -> All Programs. The best way to do so: click on "Start"
    button, then hit on "All Programs" and then find and
    right-click on "Startup" folder and hit "Open". Now you can
    just move (or copy) the shortcut to this newly opened folder!
    DONE!!!

    TO SEND A MESSAGE:
    1) Start -> Run (or hit "Windows+R") and type in:
    "net send pc-network-name message"
    (i.e., you should type in exextly this:
    "net send toshiba1 hey, there")
    - Where "net send" is the command, then thru space, you
    should type in the name of the PC you're addressing on your
    network (use "net view" command to find out the name of your
    PC and the one you need to address), and thru another space
    goes "message" - that's where you supposed to type the text
    of your message!

    - IF, AFTER YOU REBOOT YOUR PC, when you try to send a message,
    you get an error message, you will need to re-start your
    "Windows Messenger Service":
    click on "Start" -> "Run" type in "cmd" (then Enter), then type
    in "net stop messenger" (hit Enter), then wait 10 secs, and then
    type in "net start messenger" (and hit Enter).

    Now, every time you need to send another message, just hit
    on "Windows+R" key on your keyboard and just correct the
    last part of the command, changing the text of a message
    into a new one and hit "Enter".

    ON ANOTHER END, the message will appear, saying from which
    computer it came (network name), what time and the text of
    a message. The user on another end cannot copy and paste
    messages' text, but has the only option - press "OK" to X
    it out from the screen.

    sr-thebadboy, Feb 10, 2011