    Any ideas?

    Cheers,

    Steve
    Steve Court, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Steve Court

    dantu Guest

    Steve Court wrote:

    > Mail sent to my own account does not get delivered using Mozilla 1.5
    > All other clients and webmail work with the same account.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve

    Steve

    Do you get any error messages when sending? Try sending to
    another address AND your own, to see if the messsage is being sent or
    not (really useful if you have another addrress of your own for this)

    When you say webmail works, do you mean you can see the message in
    webmail? Is your webmail configured to remove it from your email server
    when it displays it? Try checking the email account PRIOR to checking it
    with webmail.
    dantu, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Steve Court

    Steve Court Guest

    No, no error message.

    All other mail works fine to and from the account, I've tested this with
    other e-mail accounts.

    In webmail, I can send and receive to the account OK i.e. mail sent to
    my own address is delivered instantly, as you would expect.

    It's only using Mozilla that sending mail to the address from the
    account that I'm using as the default, fails.

    I.e default account is , mail sent to this account
    (i.e. to myself) is sent, delivered but not received in Mozilla or
    appears in my Inbox when I check it using webmail. No error, just
    doesn't get there.

    And yet, when I send to in webmail, from the
    account - this works.

    Really weird - sending and receiving otherwise is fine. I've not seen
    this before, I've always been able to send and receive to myself using
    POP3 clients.

    SMTP server is configured as per my e-mail account, and allows me to
    send to all other e-mail addresses.

    Strange.....

    Steve

    Steve Court, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Steve Court

    dantu Guest

    Steve Court wrote:

    > No, no error message.
    >
    > All other mail works fine to and from the account, I've tested this
    > with other e-mail accounts.
    >
    > In webmail, I can send and receive to the account OK i.e. mail sent to
    > my own address is delivered instantly, as you would expect.
    >
    > It's only using Mozilla that sending mail to the address from the
    > account that I'm using as the default, fails.
    >
    > I.e default account is , mail sent to this account
    > (i.e. to myself) is sent, delivered but not received in Mozilla or
    > appears in my Inbox when I check it using webmail. No error, just
    > doesn't get there.
    >
    > And yet, when I send to in webmail, from the
    > account - this works.
    >
    > Really weird - sending and receiving otherwise is fine. I've not seen
    > this before, I've always been able to send and receive to myself using
    > POP3 clients.
    >
    > SMTP server is configured as per my e-mail account, and allows me to
    > send to all other e-mail addresses.
    >
    > Strange.....
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Court wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mail sent to my own account does not get delivered using Mozilla 1.5
    >>> All other clients and webmail work with the same account.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> Steve
    >>
    >> Do you get any error messages when sending? Try sending to
    >> another address AND your own, to see if the messsage is being sent or
    >> not (really useful if you have another addrress of your own for this)
    >>
    >> When you say webmail works, do you mean you can see the message in
    >> webmail? Is your webmail configured to remove it from your email
    >> server when it displays it? Try checking the email account PRIOR to
    >> checking it with webmail.

    Steve

    Um, your on your POP is the SAME address as
    the on your webmail! Its not two different addrresses.

    When your webmail 'picks' it up from the mail server, it wont be there
    when you check with Mozilla, becuase its already been picked up.

    To be able to 'see' the message on your POP server, you would have to
    disengage the webmail, so it doesnt pick it up and remove it from the
    server.

    i.e. When you send to , the message is delivered
    there. You will then see it in only ONE place, either in POP or
    Webmail, whichever one gets it first, the other one wont see it.
    dantu, Dec 23, 2003
  5. dantu wrote:

    > Um, your on your POP is the SAME address as
    > the on your webmail! Its not two different
    > addrresses.
    >
    > When your webmail 'picks' it up from the mail server, it wont be there
    > when you check with Mozilla, becuase its already been picked up.
    >
    > To be able to 'see' the message on your POP server, you would have to
    > disengage the webmail, so it doesnt pick it up and remove it from the
    > server.
    >

    > i.e. When you send to , the message is delivered
    > there. You will then see it in only ONE place, either in POP or
    > Webmail, whichever one gets it first, the other one wont see it.

    I can check my email via Cox webmail all day long, and it still
    downloads to Thuderbird. The email is still stored on the server when
    checked via webmail -- it's only being viewed from the server, not
    downloaded to the local computer.

    --
    Brian
    : : b r i a n : :, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Steve Court

    dantu Guest

    : : b r i a n : : wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> Um, your on your POP is the SAME address
    >> as the on your webmail! Its not two different
    >> addrresses.
    >>
    >> When your webmail 'picks' it up from the mail server, it wont be
    >> there when you check with Mozilla, becuase its already been picked up.
    >>
    >> To be able to 'see' the message on your POP server, you would have to
    >> disengage the webmail, so it doesnt pick it up and remove it from the
    >> server.
    >>

    >> i.e. When you send to , the message is
    >> delivered there. You will then see it in only ONE place, either in
    >> POP or Webmail, whichever one gets it first, the other one wont see it.
    >>

    > I can check my email via Cox webmail all day long, and it still
    > downloads to Thuderbird. The email is still stored on the server when
    > checked via webmail -- it's only being viewed from the server, not
    > downloaded to the local computer.

    Depends on the webmail in use. Some, such as yours, leave it on the
    server, others do not.
    dantu, Dec 24, 2003
  7. Steve Court

    Steve Court Guest

    Re: Update Sending mail to own account not working

    dantu wrote:
    > : : b r i a n : : wrote:
    >
    >> dantu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Um, your on your POP is the SAME address
    >>> as the on your webmail! Its not two different
    >>> addrresses.

    OF course! Two ways of picking up the same account. I do have other
    webmail accounts which are nothing to do with this issue.

    >>> When your webmail 'picks' it up from the mail server, it wont be
    >>> there when you check with Mozilla, becuase its already been picked up.

    No, I've set Mozilla to leave messages on the server to eliminate that.

    >>> To be able to 'see' the message on your POP server, you would have to
    >>> disengage the webmail, so it doesnt pick it up and remove it from the
    >>> server.
    >>>

    >>> i.e. When you send to , the message is
    >>> delivered there. You will then see it in only ONE place, either in
    >>> POP or Webmail, whichever one gets it first, the other one wont see it.
    >>>

    >> I can check my email via Cox webmail all day long, and it still
    >> downloads to Thuderbird. The email is still stored on the server when
    >> checked via webmail -- it's only being viewed from the server, not
    >> downloaded to the local computer.
    >>

    > Depends on the webmail in use. Some, such as yours, leave it on the
    > server, others do not.

    That's a setting on the client - I've set mine to leave it on the server
    whilst troubleshooting this problem.

    Anyway, update - I've narrowed the problem down to my smtp server.

    When I change the smtp server in Mozilla, the problem goes away! So at
    least I know how to get round the irritating issue.

    So it's not a Mozilla problem, but I'm now curious as to why my smtp
    server would do that? It's only just started happening, anyone know the
    ins-ans-outs of smtp servers to shed any light?

    Steve
    Steve Court, Dec 24, 2003
  8. dantu wrote:
    > : : b r i a n : : wrote:
    >
    >> dantu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Um, your on your POP is the SAME address
    >>> as the on your webmail! Its not two different
    >>> addrresses.
    >>>
    >>> When your webmail 'picks' it up from the mail server, it wont be
    >>> there when you check with Mozilla, becuase its already been picked up.
    >>>
    >>> To be able to 'see' the message on your POP server, you would have to
    >>> disengage the webmail, so it doesnt pick it up and remove it from the
    >>> server.
    >>>

    >>> i.e. When you send to , the message is
    >>> delivered there. You will then see it in only ONE place, either in
    >>> POP or Webmail, whichever one gets it first, the other one wont see it.
    >>>

    >> I can check my email via Cox webmail all day long, and it still
    >> downloads to Thuderbird. The email is still stored on the server when
    >> checked via webmail -- it's only being viewed from the server, not
    >> downloaded to the local computer.
    >>

    > Depends on the webmail in use. Some, such as yours, leave it on the
    > server, others do not.

    Oh. Thanks for the info. I didn't know there were webmail clients like
    that. I guess I've only experienced the type that leaves the mail on
    the server, and have never seen any that do not.

    --
    Brian
    : : b r i a n : :, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Steve Court

    dantu Guest

    Steve Court wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> : : b r i a n : : wrote:

    > OF course! Two ways of picking up the same account. I do have other
    > webmail accounts which are nothing to do with this issue.

    > No, I've set Mozilla to leave messages on the server to eliminate that.

    >>> I can check my email via Cox webmail all day long, and it still
    >>> downloads to Thuderbird. The email is still stored on the server
    >>> when checked via webmail -- it's only being viewed from the server,
    >>> not downloaded to the local computer.
    >>>

    >> Depends on the webmail in use. Some, such as yours, leave it on the
    >> server, others do not.

    > That's a setting on the client - I've set mine to leave it on the
    > server whilst troubleshooting this problem.
    >
    > Anyway, update - I've narrowed the problem down to my smtp server.
    >
    > When I change the smtp server in Mozilla, the problem goes away! So at
    > least I know how to get round the irritating issue.
    >
    > So it's not a Mozilla problem, but I'm now curious as to why my smtp
    > server would do that? It's only just started happening, anyone know
    > the ins-ans-outs of smtp servers to shed any light?
    >
    > Steve

    Steve

    You are using only one SMTP server right? Mozilla has a bad
    habit of creating problems when more than one SMTP server is used in a
    profile.
    I suggest only using ONE SMTP server, for all the accounts on
    the profile. The only difference will be that some (most?) will have
    incorrect headers, but who looks at those anyway <g>.
    i.e. If you have an att.net account, and an earthlink account,
    and a cox account say, you can send ALL your email via att.net if you'd
    like, there is no downside to it really. Most SMTP servers dont care
    what you put in the from address anyway.

    For example, I have accounts on 3 ISPs, but only use one of
    the SMTP servers to send from. Replies to each message will still be
    directed to the account specified in the from address (or reply to if used).

    Think of SMTP servers (outbound) like postal drop boxes. No
    matter if your 'usual' box is on the corner of the street, if you have
    occassion to use one across town, the mail still goes thru. The drop
    boxes dont care
    dantu, Dec 24, 2003
  10. Steve Court

    Steve Court Guest

    : : b r i a n : : wrote:
    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> : : b r i a n : : wrote:

    >>> I can check my email via Cox webmail all day long, and it still
    >>> downloads to Thuderbird. The email is still stored on the server
    >>> when checked via webmail -- it's only being viewed from the server,
    >>> not downloaded to the local computer.
    >>>

    >> Depends on the webmail in use. Some, such as yours, leave it on the
    >> server, others do not.
    >>

    > Oh. Thanks for the info. I didn't know there were webmail clients like
    > that. I guess I've only experienced the type that leaves the mail on
    > the server, and have never seen any that do not.

    With all the webmail accounts I have, the mail will stay in the Inbox
    when checking with via the web, unless I move/delete it via the web.

    If I set 'Leave messages on server' to 'No' in Mozilla, or any POP3
    client pointed to the webmail account, the mail will be downloaded to
    the client when mail is checked and be removed from the inbox on the
    server. So it's a setting on the client that the user can control.
    Steve Court, Dec 24, 2003
  11. Steve Court

    dantu wrote:

    > Steve Court wrote:
    >
    >> dantu wrote:

    >> OF course! Two ways of picking up the same account. I do have other
    >> webmail accounts which are nothing to do with this issue.

    >> No, I've set Mozilla to leave messages on the server to eliminate that.

    >>> Depends on the webmail in use. Some, such as yours, leave it on the
    >>> server, others do not.

    >> That's a setting on the client - I've set mine to leave it on the
    >> server whilst troubleshooting this problem.
    >>
    >> Anyway, update - I've narrowed the problem down to my smtp server.
    >>
    >> When I change the smtp server in Mozilla, the problem goes away! So at
    >> least I know how to get round the irritating issue.
    >>
    >> So it's not a Mozilla problem, but I'm now curious as to why my smtp
    >> server would do that? It's only just started happening, anyone know
    >> the ins-ans-outs of smtp servers to shed any light?
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > Steve
    >
    > You are using only one SMTP server right? Mozilla has a bad
    > habit of creating problems when more than one SMTP server is used in a
    > profile.
    > I suggest only using ONE SMTP server, for all the accounts on
    > the profile. The only difference will be that some (most?) will have
    > incorrect headers, but who looks at those anyway <g>.
    > i.e. If you have an att.net account, and an earthlink account,
    > and a cox account say, you can send ALL your email via att.net if you'd
    > like, there is no downside to it really. Most SMTP servers dont care
    > what you put in the from address anyway.
    >
    > For example, I have accounts on 3 ISPs, but only use one of
    > the SMTP servers to send from. Replies to each message will still be
    > directed to the account specified in the from address (or reply to if
    > used).
    >
    > Think of SMTP servers (outbound) like postal drop boxes. No
    > matter if your 'usual' box is on the corner of the street, if you have
    > occassion to use one across town, the mail still goes thru. The drop
    > boxes dont care

    Thanks for the info - yes, I'd read that bit about multiple SMTP
    servers, and normally I wouldn't have more than the default. I've placed
    a support call with my domain hosters, they accept that it's a problem
    their end and are looking into the smtp server configuration.

    I only queried Mozilla as I've just started using it, and have not had
    this problem with many other mail accounts and clients :)

    Thanks for the responses
    Steve Court, Dec 24, 2003