Sending FTP commands using Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Richard Kelly, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. I have an FTP server running on my computer with several user accounts set
    up. People log in using a username and password. I want them to be able to
    change their password from the default one I assign. I have enabled the SITE
    PSWD command on my FTP server.

    The users of my FTP do not have access to the command prompt or the run
    dialog and have no permissions to install third party FTP clients or run
    EXEs or batch files - in other words, their workstations are locked down
    tightly (and I have no way of changing this). Therefore they are using
    Internet Explorer to connect to the FTP server by simply typing
    ftp://hostname.com into IE then entering their username and password when
    prompted by IE. This provides them with the ability to upload and download
    files.

    Is there a way of sending FTP commands like SITE PSWD using Internet
    Explorer? I know they can type ftp://username::port but
    is there a way of also somehow putting commands into the URL bar, like
    ftp://username::commands or something? If not, is there
    some other way I can accomplish the task?

    Thanks in advance.

    Richard Kelly, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Richard Kelly

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Richard Kelly wrote:

    > I have an FTP server running on my computer with several user accounts set
    > up. People log in using a username and password. I want them to be able to
    > change their password from the default one I assign. I have enabled the
    > SITE PSWD command on my FTP server.
    >
    > The users of my FTP do not have access to the command prompt or the run
    > dialog and have no permissions to install third party FTP clients or run
    > EXEs or batch files - in other words, their workstations are locked down
    > tightly (and I have no way of changing this). Therefore they are using
    > Internet Explorer to connect to the FTP server by simply typing
    > ftp://hostname.com into IE then entering their username and password when
    > prompted by IE. This provides them with the ability to upload and download
    > files.
    >
    > Is there a way of sending FTP commands like SITE PSWD using Internet
    > Explorer? I know they can type ftp://username::port
    > but is there a way of also somehow putting commands into the URL bar, like
    > ftp://username::commands or something? If not, is
    > there some other way I can accomplish the task?

    I have never heard of what you're wanting to do. You may be stuck with FTP
    at DOS.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 5, 2005

  3. >> I have an FTP server running on my computer with several user accounts
    >> set
    >> up. People log in using a username and password. I want them to be able
    >> change their password from the default one I assign. I have enabled the
    >> SITE PSWD command on my FTP server.
    >>
    >> The users of my FTP do not have access to the command prompt or the run
    >> dialog and have no permissions to install third party FTP clients or run
    >> EXEs or batch files - in other words, their workstations are locked down
    >> tightly (and I have no way of changing this). Therefore they are using
    >> Internet Explorer to connect to the FTP server by simply typing
    >> ftp://hostname.com into IE then entering their username and password when
    >> prompted by IE. This provides them with the ability to upload and
    >> download
    >> files.
    >>
    >> Is there a way of sending FTP commands like SITE PSWD using Internet
    >> Explorer? I know they can type ftp://username::port
    >> but is there a way of also somehow putting commands into the URL bar,
    >> like
    >> ftp://username::commands or something? If not, is
    >> there some other way I can accomplish the task?
    >>

    > I have never heard of what you're wanting to do. You may be stuck with FTP
    > at DOS.

    Thanks anyway. That's the problem - they can't access a DOS prompt. If they
    could, my life would be way easier.

    Richard Kelly, Jun 6, 2005
  4. > If not, is there some other way I can accomplish the task?

    I dunno any URL syntax that would let you run a ftp SITE command (there
    might be one - I just don't know it!).

    But ... if you have a web server running alongside the ftp server, you
    could probably script up something in a web page. The exact syntax, well
    I'll have to leave that as an exercise for the reader :) ... but I'm
    thinking a bit of Javascript run from HTML could change the user's
    password?

    Just an idea ...

    Cheers
    Andrew

    Andrew Mclaren, Jun 7, 2005

  5. >> If not, is there some other way I can accomplish the task?

    > I dunno any URL syntax that would let you run a ftp SITE command (there
    > might be one - I just don't know it!).
    >
    > But ... if you have a web server running alongside the ftp server, you
    > could probably script up something in a web page. The exact syntax, well
    > I'll have to leave that as an exercise for the reader :) ... but I'm
    > thinking a bit of Javascript run from HTML could change the user's
    > password?
    >
    > Just an idea ...

    And a good idea at that. I thought of doing that but I first wanted to check
    to see if something could be done natively in IE, but it seems not. I'm sure
    PHP will give me the answers I desire.

    Richard Kelly, Jun 7, 2005