sending emails from site without Broadband

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    A person in England on a permanent caravan site used to be able to send
    emails here. Now she has got a new laptop which uses wireless broadband.
    The site doesn't have wireless broadband so she can't send emails. She sends
    them from a relative's place when she visits there.

    She's on the phone, so I suggested dial up. I've asked her how she gets the
    internet, which we could work round with a blog, but perhaps she doesn't
    have it.
    I have never had a laptop myself.

    Any ideas?

    She's even less technically minded than I am, so it has to be simple,
    please.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
     
    Geopelia, Feb 23, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:35:39 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >A person in England on a permanent caravan site used to be able to send
    >emails here. Now she has got a new laptop which uses wireless broadband.
    >The site doesn't have wireless broadband so she can't send emails. She sends
    >them from a relative's place when she visits there.
    >
    >She's on the phone, so I suggested dial up. I've asked her how she gets the
    >internet, which we could work round with a blog, but perhaps she doesn't
    >have it.
    >I have never had a laptop myself.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >She's even less technically minded than I am, so it has to be simple,
    >please.
    >
    >Thank you
    >Geopelia
    >

    Hi G!
    If all she's done is replace an old desktop computer with a new
    laptop, then the laptop will have a socket just like the old desktop
    had, for her to plug the cord into. I'm referring to the cord which
    previously went from her phone jackpoint to her desktop.

    I reckon she was on dialup, and still is. The laptop will have a
    wireless capability (wifi), but she doesn't need to use it. If I'm
    correct thus far, she will need some local help to ensure her laptop
    is setup to default to the dialup connection.

    Cheers!
     
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Feb 24, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Geopelia

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:20:09 +1300, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:35:39 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>A person in England on a permanent caravan site used to be able to send
    >>emails here. Now she has got a new laptop which uses wireless broadband.
    >>The site doesn't have wireless broadband so she can't send emails. She
    >>sends them from a relative's place when she visits there.
    >>
    >>She's on the phone, so I suggested dial up. I've asked her how she gets
    >>the internet, which we could work round with a blog, but perhaps she
    >>doesn't have it.
    >>I have never had a laptop myself.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>She's even less technically minded than I am, so it has to be simple,
    >>please.
    >>
    >>Thank you
    >>Geopelia
    >>

    > Hi G!
    > If all she's done is replace an old desktop computer with a new laptop,
    > then the laptop will have a socket just like the old desktop had, for
    > her to plug the cord into. I'm referring to the cord which previously
    > went from her phone jackpoint to her desktop.
    >
    > I reckon she was on dialup, and still is. The laptop will have a
    > wireless capability (wifi), but she doesn't need to use it. If I'm
    > correct thus far, she will need some local help to ensure her laptop is
    > setup to default to the dialup connection.
    >
    > Cheers!


    Unlikely to have a built-in modem in the laptop and so will need to get
    an external modem, most probably with USB interface. You can buy them
    here in NZ for around $100 from Ascent or cheaper on TradeMe
     
    Roger_Nickel, Feb 24, 2010
    #3
  4. Geopelia

    Mike Dee Guest

    In article <hm1ook$q7r$-september.org>,
    "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    > A person in England on a permanent caravan site used to be able to send
    > emails here. Now she has got a new laptop which uses wireless broadband.
    > The site doesn't have wireless broadband so she can't send emails. She sends
    > them from a relative's place when she visits there.
    >
    > She's on the phone, so I suggested dial up. I've asked her how she gets the
    > internet, which we could work round with a blog, but perhaps she doesn't
    > have it.
    > I have never had a laptop myself.
    >
    > Any ideas?


    Most new laptops come with built-in ethernet, as well as wireless and
    all will have USB, so they have the option of choosing "wired" broadband
    or "wireless" broadband. As she's "on the phone" perhaps it is possible
    that she can get an ADSL broadband link where she is (ADSL, or ADSL2 or
    ADSL2+ may be available in her area).

    A "wired" ADSL modem will plug into to her ethernet port or to an
    existing USB port on her laptop via a cable. Any variation of ADSL is
    preferable to dial-up.

    If you're on broadband and not on wireless (or dial-up), then her
    requirements would likely be much the same as what you are using.

    You mention she "used to be able to send emails", then she will likely
    be able to use the same system she employed to do so previously, using
    her new laptop.

    --
    dee
     
    Mike Dee, Feb 24, 2010
    #4
  5. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-02-24, Roger_Nickel <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:20:09 +1300, Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:35:39 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>A person in England on a permanent caravan site used to be able to send
    >>>emails here. Now she has got a new laptop which uses wireless broadband.
    >>>The site doesn't have wireless broadband so she can't send emails. She
    >>>sends them from a relative's place when she visits there.
    >>>
    >>>She's on the phone, so I suggested dial up. I've asked her how she gets
    >>>the internet, which we could work round with a blog, but perhaps she
    >>>doesn't have it.
    >>>I have never had a laptop myself.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>She's even less technically minded than I am, so it has to be simple,
    >>>please.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you
    >>>Geopelia
    >>>

    >> Hi G!
    >> If all she's done is replace an old desktop computer with a new laptop,
    >> then the laptop will have a socket just like the old desktop had, for
    >> her to plug the cord into. I'm referring to the cord which previously
    >> went from her phone jackpoint to her desktop.
    >>
    >> I reckon she was on dialup, and still is. The laptop will have a
    >> wireless capability (wifi), but she doesn't need to use it. If I'm
    >> correct thus far, she will need some local help to ensure her laptop is
    >> setup to default to the dialup connection.
    >>
    >> Cheers!

    >
    > Unlikely to have a built-in modem in the laptop and so will need to get
    > an external modem, most probably with USB interface. You can buy them
    > here in NZ for around $100 from Ascent or cheaper on TradeMe


    Maybe but let us find out what ports (sockets/plugs) the lap to has. Any
    cahnce of some photos, or a gander (look) at the manual techinical
    specifications.

    How about we start with the test of will the phone cord fit into one? or
    does it have one that looks like the one which the phone cord was plugged
    into on the old computer?
     
    Gordon, Feb 24, 2010
    #5
  6. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-02-23, Geopelia <> wrote:
    > A person in England on a permanent caravan site used to be able to send
    > emails here. Now she has got a new laptop which uses wireless broadband.
    > The site doesn't have wireless broadband so she can't send emails. She sends
    > them from a relative's place when she visits there.


    She used to send them from an old PC which was a desktop. Correct?

    Does she have broadband via the telphone line? ADSL. Same as we do here in
    NZ? Or does she have dial up? Did she have to click on an icon to get
    connected, send the e-mails? or was it a case clicking on the Send button?
    >
    > She's on the phone, so I suggested dial up. I've asked her how she gets the
    > internet, which we could work round with a blog, but perhaps she doesn't
    > have it.


    > I have never had a laptop myself.


    The fact that she has a laptop is 95% irrelevant. We need to establish what
    the existing/old connection to the Internet was. Then we need to get the
    laptop to "talk" this connection.

    Could we have the make and model of the laptop? Could she tell us anything
    she can "find out", anything she knows/sees/did. Put it all here, we will tell
    you when too much information arrives. I doubt that it will ;-)

    This thread may not be long in the number of postings hopefully, but it
    could be longer in time than most threads. Let us all be there for the cyber
    party.
     
    Gordon, Feb 24, 2010
    #6
  7. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    On 24/02/2010 1:31 p.m., Roger_Nickel wrote:

    > Unlikely to have a built-in modem in the laptop and so will need to get
    > an external modem, most probably with USB interface. You can buy them
    > here in NZ for around $100 from Ascent or cheaper on TradeMe


    Really? Every single one of the 30 or so different models of new laptop
    I have seen lately still have an analog modem port.
     
    EMB, Feb 24, 2010
    #7
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thank you everybody. I've sent all your helpful suggestions to her friend,
    hoping she has a printer to send them on.

    There is no way I can find out much about the laptop, being the other side
    of the planet. Her son knows computers though, so should be able to get it
    going from what you suggest.

    Your help is much appreciated.
    Geopelia
     
    Geopelia, Feb 24, 2010
    #8
  9. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > On 24/02/2010 1:31 p.m., Roger_Nickel wrote:
    >
    >> Unlikely to have a built-in modem in the laptop and so will need to get
    >> an external modem, most probably with USB interface. You can buy them
    >> here in NZ for around $100 from Ascent or cheaper on TradeMe

    >
    > Really? Every single one of the 30 or so different models of new laptop
    > I have seen lately still have an analog modem port.


    None on the dell or toshiba or HP I have used in the last week.
     
    Richard, Feb 25, 2010
    #9
  10. Geopelia

    victor Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > A person in England on a permanent caravan site used to be able to send
    > emails here. Now she has got a new laptop which uses wireless broadband.
    > The site doesn't have wireless broadband so she can't send emails. She sends
    > them from a relative's place when she visits there.
    >
    > She's on the phone, so I suggested dial up. I've asked her how she gets the
    > internet, which we could work round with a blog, but perhaps she doesn't
    > have it.
    > I have never had a laptop myself.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > She's even less technically minded than I am, so it has to be simple,
    > please.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia
    >
    >
    >


    She could use something like this

    http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27788
     
    victor, Feb 25, 2010
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Asam
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    687
  2. Ian a

    sending emails

    Ian a, Jul 11, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    631
    Ian a
    Jul 11, 2003
  3. miffysmate :-\)\)

    Emails sending without pressing the send button

    miffysmate :-\)\), Oct 3, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    517
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Oct 3, 2003
  4. DavidM
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    483
    DavidM
    Oct 7, 2003
  5. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    543
Loading...

Share This Page