Sending audio signal over IP

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Mike Dole, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Mike Dole

    Mike Dole Guest

    I'm sorry if I did'nt put this message in the right group but then
    again I couldn't really find out where to put it.
    I've searched the seven seas for a product or solution to the problem
    / wish I have.

    What I want to accomplish is the following:
    We have a company with two sites, one in The Netherlands and one in
    Belgium, they are all working with the same time registration system.
    The clocks / time (on which they 'logon' and 'logoff' are synchronized
    with the Dutch server.
    But there's always a small time difference (few minutes) between the
    Dutch server and the Belgium clock.
    So people want to have there lunch break at 12 a clock (because the
    radio says so) find out when they want to 'logoff' that the clock
    shows 11.56

    And now for the VOIP part:
    I want to send (the same) audio signal: a bell, sirene whatsoever via
    TCP/IP / our LAN 2 Lan connection to the Belgium Network, have an IP
    Speaker on the other side wich I can connect to because it has a
    Unique IP Adress.
    This box has an audio out so I can connect a regular speaker to it.
    This is what I had in mind but I didn't succeed in finding such a
    solution on the net so I thought maybe VOIP can be a part of the
    solution.
    I saw the IP box on http://www.jetviewcam.com/
    but I believe that's only for sending video / audo.

    Hope you guys can be of any assistance...

    Thanks in advance and happy easter!

    Michael
    Mike Dole, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Mike Dole

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Mike Dole <> wrote:
    > What I want to accomplish is the following:
    > We have a company with two sites, one in The Netherlands and one in
    > Belgium, they are all working with the same time registration system.
    > The clocks / time (on which they 'logon' and 'logoff' are synchronized
    > with the Dutch server.
    > But there's always a small time difference (few minutes) between the
    > Dutch server and the Belgium clock.
    > So people want to have there lunch break at 12 a clock (because the
    > radio says so) find out when they want to 'logoff' that the clock
    > shows 11.56

    Why not just fix the clocks? Sychronizing clocks on the server is free. If
    you're talking about wall clocks, I've seen radio-synchronized clocks for as
    little as US$10.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Palestine
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 25, 2005

  3. Mike Dole

    wkearney99 Guest

    > What I want to accomplish is the following:
    > We have a company with two sites, one in The Netherlands and one in
    > Belgium, they are all working with the same time registration system.
    > The clocks / time (on which they 'logon' and 'logoff' are synchronized
    > with the Dutch server.
    > But there's always a small time difference (few minutes) between the
    > Dutch server and the Belgium clock.
    > So people want to have there lunch break at 12 a clock (because the
    > radio says so) find out when they want to 'logoff' that the clock
    > shows 11.56

    So why bother using VoIP when well-established standards like NTP (Network
    Time Protocol) already exist? Use that, based on atom clocks, and not some
    Rube Goldberg lash-up with audio.
    wkearney99, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Mike Dole

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Mike Dole wrote:

    > I'm sorry if I did'nt put this message in the right group but then
    > again I couldn't really find out where to put it.
    > I've searched the seven seas for a product or solution to the problem
    > / wish I have.
    >
    > What I want to accomplish is the following:
    > We have a company with two sites, one in The Netherlands and one in
    > Belgium, they are all working with the same time registration system.
    > The clocks / time (on which they 'logon' and 'logoff' are synchronized
    > with the Dutch server.
    > But there's always a small time difference (few minutes) between the
    > Dutch server and the Belgium clock.

    THAT is a problem you should be able to fix, possibly by raising the
    priority of the synchronization updates.

    > And now for the VOIP part:
    > I want to send (the same) audio signal: a bell, sirene whatsoever via
    > TCP/IP / our LAN 2 Lan connection to the Belgium Network, have an IP
    > Speaker on the other side wich I can connect to because it has a
    > Unique IP Adress.
    > This box has an audio out so I can connect a regular speaker to it.
    > This is what I had in mind but I didn't succeed in finding such a
    > solution on the net so I thought maybe VOIP can be a part of the
    > solution.

    Could you Just hook up a phone with a Real Ringer and call the phone for
    one,
    two, or three rings?
    Rick Merrill, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Mike Dole

    Mike Dole Guest

    I can't synchronize the clocks because we are talking about a
    difference between an announcement / signal on a radio station and the
    clock of the time registration system.
    Over here (and I guess it happens all over the world) one station
    starts the news at for instance 11.57 and the other at 12.05 depending
    on how long the commercials take.
    I just want to have the people have their lunch breaks when our time
    registration server says so by giving a signal..
    Thanks for your answer and time anyway Miguel.

    Regards,

    Mike

    Mike Dole, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Mike Dole

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Mike Dole <> wrote:
    > I can't synchronize the clocks because we are talking about a
    > difference between an announcement / signal on a radio station and the
    > clock of the time registration system.
    > Over here (and I guess it happens all over the world) one station
    > starts the news at for instance 11.57 and the other at 12.05 depending
    > on how long the commercials take.
    > I just want to have the people have their lunch breaks when our time
    > registration server says so by giving a signal..

    The point remains that it's a whole lot easier (and more accurate) to sync
    clocks than to mess with audio transmission.

    Set up one machine in location A, and one machine in location B. Spend 2
    minutes configuring each one to sync its clock with an external NTP source.
    Connect each one to a loudspeaker and program them to make a noise when it's
    lunch time.

    Presto, you have a much more reliable system (since the clocks will still be
    more or less accurate even if the internet link is down at the moment when
    lunch begins), and one that's almost infinitely easier to set up.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Mike Dole

    Heimo Hetl Guest

    Mike Dole wrote:

    > We have a company with two sites, one in The Netherlands and one in
    > Belgium, they are all working with the same time registration system.
    > The clocks / time (on which they 'logon' and 'logoff' are synchronized
    > with the Dutch server.
    > But there's always a small time difference (few minutes) between the
    > Dutch server and the Belgium clock.
    > So people want to have there lunch break at 12 a clock (because the
    > radio says so) find out when they want to 'logoff' that the clock
    > shows 11.56

    forget about voip for this problem. take any computer, sync its time via
    ntp, attach a decent speaker and let it play an announcement (or make any
    other noise for that purpose) at a defined time each day.

    cheers
    heimo

    --
    l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
    Heimo Hetl, Mar 25, 2005
  8. Mike Dole

    Mike Dole Guest

    Thank you all for your replies but I guess I gave the wrong impression
    that this post was about synchronizing the clocks. Wouldn't have
    posted it in a VOIP group then.
    I knew about ntp but we're talking about a Distribution Center in
    Belgium and I don't a computer every 10 feet...
    I want IP speaker boxes with there own IP address or something like
    that so I can send one signal to all the boxes at a certain time...

    http://www.control4.com/products/components/av.htm
    has something like that but there has to be more...

    Thanks again,

    Mike
    Mike Dole, Mar 26, 2005
  9. Mike Dole

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Mike Dole <> wrote:
    > Thank you all for your replies but I guess I gave the wrong impression
    > that this post was about synchronizing the clocks. Wouldn't have
    > posted it in a VOIP group then.

    I think everyone understands the problem as you've described it, but we're
    having a hard time believing that your proposed solution is anywhere near
    the most efficient.

    > I knew about ntp but we're talking about a Distribution Center in Belgium
    > and I don't a computer every 10 feet...

    One computer somewhere in the nation of Belgium, and then wire that into a
    PA system. The computer can be doing other things (print server, desktop,
    whatever) at the same time.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Mike Dole

    Lucas Tam Guest

    (Mike Dole) wrote in news:fddbbab7.0503252211.6845e75
    @posting.google.com:

    > I knew about ntp but we're talking about a Distribution Center in
    > Belgium and I don't a computer every 10 feet...

    Install a computer at each site and synchronize the time to the same NTP
    server. Then hook up the audio out of the PC to your PA (intercom system).
    Voila, both systems will now set off an alarm more or less simultaneously!

    There's no need for your fancy audio over IP system.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Mar 26, 2005
  11. Mike Dole

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Lucas Tam wrote:
    > (Mike Dole) wrote in news:fddbbab7.0503252211.6845e75
    > @posting.google.com:
    >

    >>I knew about ntp but we're talking about a Distribution Center in
    >>Belgium and I don't a computer every 10 feet...
    >>

    > Install a computer at each site and synchronize the time to the same NTP
    > server. Then hook up the audio out of the PC to your PA (intercom system).
    > Voila, both systems will now set off an alarm more or less simultaneously!
    >
    > There's no need for your fancy audio over IP system.

    So true, but if a man has a shiny new hammer all problems will look like
    nails!-)
    Rick Merrill, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Mike Dole

    Dmitri Guest

    Here is a box that's specifically designed to send audio via IP:
    http://voip.valcom.com/vip800.htm
    A pair of these boxes can be used to extend a 600 Ohm paging port, but it
    does not have to be paging equipment, a soundcard output will do just
    fine.
    Check it out, see if it would work for you.
    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forum