Sending a fax from a normal fax machine to a PC ...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NDB, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. NDB

    NDB Guest

    Can anyone advise please ...

    Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax as I
    don't own a fax machine.

    However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.

    Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
    someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read the
    fax?

    If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or anything?

    TIA.

    --
    NDB.

    (Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

    NDB, Jan 28, 2005

  2. NDB

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "NDB" <ndb0105@[nospam]ml1.net> wrote in message
    > Can anyone advise please ...
    >
    > Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax as
    > don't own a fax machine.
    >
    > However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
    >
    > Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
    > someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read
    > the
    > fax?
    >
    > If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
    > anything?

    winfax (or whatever software you google up)
    and a fax/modem

    or have them fax it to the closest kinko's center around your neigborhood

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Jan 28, 2005

  3. NDB

    Muppet Guest

    > Can anyone advise please ...
    >
    > Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax as
    > don't own a fax machine.
    >
    > However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
    >
    > Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
    > someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read
    > the
    > fax?
    >
    > If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
    > anything?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > --
    > NDB.
    >
    > (Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

    https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree
    Try this...

    Muppet, Jan 28, 2005
  4. NDB

    Vanguard Guest

    > Can anyone advise please ...
    >
    > Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax
    > as I
    > don't own a fax machine.
    >
    > However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
    >
    > Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible
    > for
    > someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can
    > read the
    > fax?
    >
    > If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
    > anything?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > --
    > NDB.
    >
    > (Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

    We are supposed to GUESS what operating system you use or, if it is
    Windows, WHICH version of Windows? Windows 2000/XP has a Fax Service
    that you can use to send and receive faxes provided you have a
    fax-capable analog modem. Start -> Programs -> Accessories ->
    Communications.

    I prefer not to have the Fax Service answer all my incoming telephone
    calls and I'm not going to pay for a separate phone line just for faxing
    which I do maybe once a year. The only time I get stuck faxing is with
    the government since everyone else has gone to e-mail. Instead I use
    the free eFax service to receiving inbound faxes via e-mail and I use
    the Fax Service to send outbound faxes using my data/fax modem. Don't
    bother installing any of the eFax software. You won't need it.

    Start -> Help and Support
    Search on "fax".

    For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

    Vanguard, Jan 28, 2005
  5. "Muppet" <> wrote in message

    > "NDB" <ndb0105@[nospam]ml1.net> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone advise please ...
    > >
    > > Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax

    as
    > > don't own a fax machine.
    > >
    > > However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
    > >
    > > Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
    > > someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read
    > > the
    > > fax?
    > >
    > > If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
    > > anything?
    > >
    > > TIA.
    > >
    > > --
    > > NDB.
    > >
    > > (Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)
    > >

    > https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree
    > Try this...

    Excellent. Thanks.

    news.dsl.pipex.com, Jan 28, 2005
  6. "127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message

    > "NDB" <ndb0105@[nospam]ml1.net> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone advise please ...
    > >
    > > Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax

    as
    > > don't own a fax machine.
    > >
    > > However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
    > >
    > > Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
    > > someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read
    > > the
    > > fax?
    > >
    > > If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
    > > anything?
    > >

    > winfax (or whatever software you google up)
    > and a fax/modem
    >
    > or have them fax it to the closest kinko's center around your neigborhood
    >
    > -a|ex

    Many thanks. Unfortunately, I only have an ADSL modem.

    news.dsl.pipex.com, Jan 28, 2005