Sending a check to a prison

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Jun 25, 2009.

  1. Guest

    I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
    a substantial amount.

    How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
    opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
    there could be a dishonest person in the chain.

    Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
    books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
    monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
    check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.

    Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
    that would work.

    Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
    could be weeks to a month before I visit.

    Googling: send a irs check to a prison
    The hits are depressing.

    Thanks.

    --

    Firework Nutshot
    http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/6/firework-nutshot-fail-771662.html

    , Jun 25, 2009

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:20:14 -0700, wrote:

    >I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
    >a substantial amount.
    >
    >How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
    >opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
    >there could be a dishonest person in the chain.
    >
    >Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
    >books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
    >monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
    >check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.
    >
    >Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
    >that would work.
    >
    >Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
    >could be weeks to a month before I visit.
    >
    >Googling: send a irs check to a prison
    >The hits are depressing.

    I googled send money to inmate. It looks like a few places (jpay.com ,
    even western union) ...
    http://www.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB/staticMid.do?method=load&pagename=osQuickCollect

    A check may be the cheapest. And if someone else cashes it, that's
    fraud. :)

    I have no experience with this, but maybe s0Omeone here does, I won't
    name any names.

    Evan Platt, Jun 25, 2009

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
    > a substantial amount.

    If I were a person in prison, I would have a person who wasn't in prison,
    even a layman, have 'power of attorney' -- where in this context that so
    empowered person would be such as a layman 'attorney in fact'; or some
    people who are in prison have an actual attorney at law who has some
    powers for them. One can also have power of 'attorney of finance' which
    empowers that person to execute financial dealings.

    Then, the next question would be whether the prisoner has any kind of
    outside financial accounts or holdings, such as bank account, trading
    account to which the check could be deposited.

    The prisoner is going to have no 'use' for a financial instrument such as
    a check in most prisons and is also going to have no use for a financial
    instrument such as cash in a lot of others.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 25, 2009
  4. doS Guest

    are you your moms beneficairy?

    doS, Jun 26, 2009
  5. Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    >One can also have power of 'attorney of finance' which
    >empowers that person to execute financial dealings.

    >Then, the next question would be whether the prisoner has any kind of
    >outside financial accounts or holdings, such as bank account, trading
    >account to which the check could be deposited.

    Oh, no. All of the above is true, but this person has no finances, or
    monies to be monitored by someone else, except that mentioned below.

    >The prisoner is going to have no 'use' for a financial instrument such as
    >a check in most prisons and is also going to have no use for a financial
    >instrument such as cash in a lot of others.

    They can purchase themselves a 13" T.V. which they can have in their
    cell/room - he wants one as soon as possible. The bulk of the check he
    will be placed in his grandparents account - again tho he is going to
    hit that high interest rate.

    When I go visit him, if I were to give him money, there is an ATM
    which would cost me $5 just to use it, and to give him money it must
    be deposited via the ATM.
    --

    Firework Nutshot
    http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/6/firework-nutshot-fail-771662.html

    , Jun 26, 2009
  6. Guest

    "doS" <> wrote:

    >are you your moms beneficairy?

    One of them. She is 76 years old and a member of the local ski club,
    so she ski's someplace in the U.S. about every other weekend.

    Not skiing, she's dancing.

    She's going to out live us all. :)

    --

    R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

    , Jun 26, 2009
  7. Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
    >a substantial amount.
    >
    >How would one make sure this person received the check?

    Ok, came up with this.

    Three of his relatives will be at the post office, everybody will see
    the check inserted into the envelope, mailed (no magic tricks :] )
    and sent certified.

    Is the best I could hope for. I printed a letter for him, I penciled
    in what we have done, so it stands out.

    Tried to talk to a lawyer but mine wasn't available.

    Thanks for the replies.

    --

    R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

    , Jun 26, 2009
  8. richard Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:20:14 -0700, wrote:

    >I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
    >a substantial amount.
    >
    >How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
    >opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
    >there could be a dishonest person in the chain.
    >
    >Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
    >books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
    >monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
    >check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.
    >
    >Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
    >that would work.
    >
    >Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
    >could be weeks to a month before I visit.
    >
    >Googling: send a irs check to a prison
    >The hits are depressing.
    >
    >Thanks.

    If the friend has a bank account, take it to the bank, mark it, "For
    deposit only", and put it in his account.

    richard, Jun 26, 2009
  9. doS Guest

    holy cow, thats cool ;-)

    doS, Jun 26, 2009
  10. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:06:08 -0700, Bill <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> I have a friend (it's true!) in prison, I also have his IRS check for
    >> a substantial amount.
    >>
    >> How would one make sure this person received the check? As the mail is
    >> opened and screened before the recipient receives it; However slight
    >> there could be a dishonest person in the chain.
    >>
    >> Receiving the IRS check cost nothing to have the funds put on his
    >> books/account, as the taxes have already been paid. Sending him the
    >> monies in any other form would cost anywhere between 5-10% of the
    >> check amount (I just know it's a lot) for their trouble.
    >>
    >> Certified just means they got the letter, insured I'm not sure how
    >> that would work.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? Other than handing it to the person on a visit, as it
    >> could be weeks to a month before I visit.
    >>
    >> Googling: send a irs check to a prison
    >> The hits are depressing.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Why not ask the prison warden? They should know.

    Prisoners get checks anyway. Presumably he meant cheque.

    > Bill
    >--

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jun 29, 2009
  11. Aardvark <> deflatulated this with

    > On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:54:17 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Barry OGrady wrote:
    >>
    >>> Prisoners get checks anyway. Presumably he meant cheque.

    >> Since he seems to be posting from the US instead of Australia (or any
    >> of the other heavily Brit influenced nations), I'm betting he meant
    >> check.

    > Just because you colonials misspell words continually and with malice
    > aforethought (spelling 'defence' with an 's', sheesh!) doesn't mean
    > you're spelling them right.
    >
    > FYI HTH HAND.

    It means we're not *G-H-A-Y* like the Brits.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, that's NOT a snake in my pocket; I'm
    NOT particularly happy to see you; and, I'm NOT the Octomom's baby-daddy!

    "Waterboarding Muslims is *NOT* '"torture"'; it's merely giving them
    Arabs free-choice : the 72 virgins or not!" --Anonymous Bush Staffer

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 29, 2009
  12. Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Jun 29, 2009
  13. Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    >> Prisoners get checks anyway. Presumably he meant cheque.

    >Since he seems to be posting from the US instead of Australia (or any of
    >the other heavily Brit influenced nations), I'm betting he meant check.

    Check it was :) I've would of never thought of cheque.

    --

    Michael Jackson is dead
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVACUjHn6yU

    , Jun 30, 2009