Sending a BGP default route.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gary, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I have BGP configured between us and another site. We are the ISP/Upstream

    Normally we would send a full routing table (that works already) but the
    router at the customers edge cannot handle that, so I have been trying to
    send a single route i.e a default route with no success.

    We are one router apart so it goes Our Edge Router (A)---- IGP Speaking
    Router(B) ---- Customers Edge Router(C)

    Config so far on our edge router is

    Router A
    router bgp 1234
    neighbor transit-customer-dr peer-group
    neighbor transit-customer-dr next-hop-self
    neighbor transit-customer-dr send-community
    neighbor transit-customer-dr soft-reconfiguration inbound
    neighbor transit-customer-dr distribute-list 190 in
    neighbor transit-customer-dr route-map transitcustomer-in in
    neighbor transit-customer-dr route-map default-route-out out
    neighbor transit-customer-dr maximum-prefix 100 90

    neighbor 4.5.6.7 remote-as 29489
    neighbor 4.5.6.7 peer-group transit-customer-dr
    neighbor 4.5.6.7 ebgp-multihop 3

    route-map default-route-out permit 10
    match ip address dr-out

    access-list extended dr-out
    permit ip 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 any

    This does not work and in facts goes wacky completely..

    Any pointers appreciated.

    Gary
    Gary, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Gary

    Steinar Haug Guest

    ["Gary"]

    | Normally we would send a full routing table (that works already) but the
    | router at the customers edge cannot handle that, so I have been trying to
    | send a single route i.e a default route with no success.

    You need "neighbor xxx default-originate".

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,
    Steinar Haug, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Steinar Haug" <> wrote in message
    > ["Gary"]
    >
    > | Normally we would send a full routing table (that works already) but

    the
    > | router at the customers edge cannot handle that, so I have been trying

    > | send a single route i.e a default route with no success.
    >
    > You need "neighbor xxx default-originate".
    >
    > Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    I assume that goes on our BGP speaking router rather than the customers. I
    tried that and I still see 1 route received by us, but nothing received on
    their edge BGP router.

    We already statically route some of our address space to them, and now are
    trying to route their own and new address space. i.e There is already a
    default static route to us as it is a point to point link, but we want to
    move fully to BGP.

    There side looks lisk this
    router bgp 123456
    no synchronization
    bgp log-neighbor-changes
    network 1.1.1.1 mask 255.255.240.0
    aggregate-address 1.1.1.1 255.255.240.0 summary-only
    neighbor 2.2.2.2 remote-as <our as>
    neighbor 2.2.2.2 ebgp-multihop 3
    neighbor 2.2.2.2 version 4
    neighbor 2.2.2.2 soft-reconfiguration inbound
    neighbor 2.2.2.2 filter-list 1 out
    no auto-summary

    access-list 1 <out whole ip range>
    access-list 1 <customer ip range>
    access-list 1 deny

    Gary
    Gary, Nov 20, 2003
  4. In article <Qsavb.1010$yM6.141@lakeread06>, Gary <> wrote:

    >"Steinar Haug" <> wrote in message
    >> ["Gary"]
    >>
    >> | Normally we would send a full routing table (that works already) but

    >the
    >> | router at the customers edge cannot handle that, so I have been trying

    >> | send a single route i.e a default route with no success.
    >>
    >> You need "neighbor xxx default-originate".
    >>
    >> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    >I assume that goes on our BGP speaking router rather than the customers. I
    >tried that and I still see 1 route received by us, but nothing received on
    >their edge BGP router.

    Does your router have a default route in its routing table? If not, you
    need:

    neighbor xxx default-originate default-map got-default

    route-map got-default permit 10
    match ip address 2

    access-list 2 permit host x.x.x.0

    x.x.x.0 should be a route that your router learns from the rest of the
    backbone. The fact that it has learned it serves as an indication that you
    have connectivity, so should be used as a default gateway.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA
    Barry Margolin, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Gary

    Gary Guest

    wrote:

    > >"Steinar Haug" <> wrote in message
    > >> ["Gary"]

    but
    > >the

    trying

    > >> You need "neighbor xxx default-originate".
    > >>
    > >> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    > >I assume that goes on our BGP speaking router rather than the customers.

    > >tried that and I still see 1 route received by us, but nothing received

    on
    > >their edge BGP router.

    > Does your router have a default route in its routing table? If not, you
    > need:
    >
    > neighbor xxx default-originate default-map got-default
    >
    > route-map got-default permit 10
    > match ip address 2
    >
    > access-list 2 permit host x.x.x.0
    >
    > x.x.x.0 should be a route that your router learns from the rest of the
    > backbone. The fact that it has learned it serves as an indication that

    you
    > have connectivity, so should be used as a default gateway.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin,
    > Level(3), Woburn, MA
    > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to

    newsgroups.
    > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

    group.

    We have one.

    show ip route>
    Gateway of last resort is 198.41.0.0 to network 0.0.0.0

    Gary
    Gary, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Gary

    wrote:

    > >"Steinar Haug" <> wrote in message
    > >> ["Gary"]

    but
    > >the

    trying

    > >> You need "neighbor xxx default-originate".
    > >>
    > >> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    > >I assume that goes on our BGP speaking router rather than the customers.

    > >tried that and I still see 1 route received by us, but nothing received

    on
    > >their edge BGP router.

    > Does your router have a default route in its routing table? If not, you
    > need:
    >
    > neighbor xxx default-originate default-map got-default
    >
    > route-map got-default permit 10
    > match ip address 2
    >
    > access-list 2 permit host x.x.x.0
    >
    > x.x.x.0 should be a route that your router learns from the rest of the
    > backbone. The fact that it has learned it serves as an indication that

    you
    > have connectivity, so should be used as a default gateway.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin,
    > Level(3), Woburn, MA
    > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to

    newsgroups.
    > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

    group.

    We also have
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 198.41.0.0 240
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 195.10.224.0 250
    Gary, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message

    > "Barry Margolin" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <Qsavb.1010$yM6.141@lakeread06>, Gary <>

    > wrote:
    > > >
    > > >"Steinar Haug" <> wrote in message

    > but
    > > >the

    > trying

    > > >I assume that goes on our BGP speaking router rather than the

    customers.
    > > >tried that and I still see 1 route received by us, but nothing received

    > on
    > > >their edge BGP router.

    > > Does your router have a default route in its routing table? If not, you
    > > need:
    > >
    > > neighbor xxx default-originate default-map got-default
    > >
    > > route-map got-default permit 10
    > > match ip address 2
    > >
    > > access-list 2 permit host x.x.x.0
    > >
    > > x.x.x.0 should be a route that your router learns from the rest of the
    > > backbone. The fact that it has learned it serves as an indication that

    > you
    > > have connectivity, so should be used as a default gateway.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Barry Margolin,
    > > Level(3), Woburn, MA
    > > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to

    > newsgroups.
    > > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

    > group.
    >

    > We also have
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 198.41.0.0 240
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 195.10.224.0 250

    As these people are single homed to us I assume I have the right technique
    for a STUB network which is to send them a single route out rather than the
    whole routing table ?

    Gary
    Gary, Nov 20, 2003
  8. In article <CNbvb.1854$yM6.1522@lakeread06>, Gary <> wrote:
    >As these people are single homed to us I assume I have the right technique
    >for a STUB network which is to send them a single route out rather than the
    >whole routing table ?

    Yes. Although if they only have one way out, it would probably be simplest
    for them to use a static default route on their end instead of BGP.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA
    Barry Margolin, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Gary

    wrote:
    > >As these people are single homed to us I assume I have the right

    technique
    > >for a STUB network which is to send them a single route out rather than

    the
    > >whole routing table ?

    > Yes. Although if they only have one way out, it would probably be

    simplest
    > for them to use a static default route on their end instead of BGP.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin,
    > Level(3), Woburn, MA
    > *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to

    newsgroups.
    > Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

    group.

    > route-map got-default permit 10
    > match ip address 2
    >
    > access-list 2 permit host x.x.x.0
    >
    > x.x.x.0 should be a route that your router learns from the rest of the
    > backbone. The fact that it has learned it serves as an indication that

    OK - It worked by but why - We already have a default route on our edge
    router so why did I have to cheat as below to get BGP to send them a default
    route ??
    Gary, Nov 21, 2003