"Sender:" and "From:" email header fields?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by uglyvan, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. uglyvan

    uglyvan Guest

    I use TB 1.5 as my email client. Recently I got an email message, and
    TB's little header display had both "Sender:" and "From:" fields
    displayed as two different email addresses. What are these two fields
    and what does it mean if they're different?
    uglyvan, Mar 23, 2006

  2. uglyvan

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 23 Mar 2006 08:18:28 -0800, in message
     <>, uglyvan wrote:

    > I use TB 1.5 as my email client. Recently I got an email message, and
    > TB's little header display had both "Sender:" and "From:" fields
    > displayed as two different email addresses. What are these two fields
    > and what does it mean if they're different?

    A. There is an official specification for what this is supposed
    to mean, which I have quoted below.

    However, in the real world, the person who e-mailed you may
    not even know what the specification says. What that person
    chose to enter in those fields may be different to how the
    official specification says those fields should be used. So
    you should probably ask that person what they meant by this.

    B. Here is what the official specification [1] says

    | The originator fields indicate the mailbox(es) of the source of the
    | message. The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
    | that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
    | for the writing of the message. The "Sender:" field specifies the
    | mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
    | message. For example, if a secretary were to send a message for
    | another person, the mailbox of the secretary would appear in the
    | "Sender:" field and the mailbox of the actual author would appear in
    | the "From:" field. If the originator of the message can be indicated
    | by a single mailbox and the author and transmitter are identical, the
    | "Sender:" field SHOULD NOT be used. Otherwise, both fields SHOULD
    | appear.

    Technical Reference

    [1] RFC2822 "Internet Message Format", section 3.6.2
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph