Send to Email error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by L Beck, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. L Beck

    L Beck Guest

    Have a user that creates reports in MS Access, then selects File > Send to
    send this report via email to another contact outside the system. Her
    default mail of choice is Netscape 4.8. Last week when she performed this
    task it brought up her Netscape email new message window, after selecting
    the file type to send it as. Then one morning she came in to work and
    Windows Updates were being downloaded and installed. Ever since then, when
    she would select File > Send, Microsoft wanted to set up a profile and send
    it via MS Outlook, even though Netscape Messenger was still showing as her
    default mail client in the Internet Options Programs tab.

    Couldn't get past that.

    Tried removing MS Outlook as an option - completely uninstalled the program.
    She still gets the same result - Microsoft wants to set up a profile for
    Internet Mail. So, tried to follow the wizard through and got an error that
    it couldn't send because of the previous warning (there was no previous
    warning that we saw).

    Now when we look at the Internet Options Programs tab, nothing shows for
    default mail program, and there is nothing in the list to choose from. It's
    all totally blank, even though she is consistently using Netscape Messenger
    4.8.

    The operating system is Windows 2000. We are not interested in upgrading
    Netscape at this time (might in the future), and switching to Outlook
    Express is not an option.

    Anyone got any ideas on what happened and how to get 1) Netscape back into
    the Programs list, and 2) the File > Send command to open the Netscape
    Messenger new mail window?

    Thanks for any help or clues.

    L Beck, Jan 21, 2004

  2. L Beck wrote:
    > Have a user that creates reports in MS Access, then selects File > Send to
    > send this report via email to another contact outside the system. Her
    > default mail of choice is Netscape 4.8. Last week when she performed this
    > task it brought up her Netscape email new message window, after selecting
    > the file type to send it as. Then one morning she came in to work and
    > Windows Updates were being downloaded and installed. Ever since then, when
    > she would select File > Send, Microsoft wanted to set up a profile and send
    > it via MS Outlook, even though Netscape Messenger was still showing as her
    > default mail client in the Internet Options Programs tab.
    >
    > Couldn't get past that.
    >
    > Tried removing MS Outlook as an option - completely uninstalled the program.
    > She still gets the same result - Microsoft wants to set up a profile for
    > Internet Mail. So, tried to follow the wizard through and got an error that
    > it couldn't send because of the previous warning (there was no previous
    > warning that we saw).
    >
    > Now when we look at the Internet Options Programs tab, nothing shows for
    > default mail program, and there is nothing in the list to choose from. It's
    > all totally blank, even though she is consistently using Netscape Messenger
    > 4.8.
    >
    > The operating system is Windows 2000. We are not interested in upgrading
    > Netscape at this time (might in the future), and switching to Outlook
    > Express is not an option.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas on what happened and how to get 1) Netscape back into
    > the Programs list, and 2) the File > Send command to open the Netscape
    > Messenger new mail window?
    >
    > Thanks for any help or clues.

    You ended up with extended MAPI instead of simple MAPI. Maybe she ran
    Outlook at some point?

    IAC, go into Netscape, Edit/Preferences, and look for a line that's like
    "Use messenger as default from MAPI applications" or similar (usually
    under the Mail&Newsgroups section or under Advanced). Checkmark that box
    & reboot.

    Tergiversative, Jan 22, 2004