    speed Athlon, so why bother for the sake of $20??
    Whats the point of a budget CPU thats not a budget price??
    Am I missing something here??

    Steve Robertson, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Steve Robertson

    colinco Guest

    In article Steve Robertson says...
    > Am I missing something here??

    The supply of Athlons will dry up soon.

    colinco, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Steve Robertson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:
    > I was thinking about upgrading to a semperon: they seem to benchmark
    > pretty good. Then I looked on pricespy, Only about $20 cheaper that
    > the equiv speed Athlon, so why bother for the sake of $20??
    > Whats the point of a budget CPU thats not a budget price??
    > Am I missing something here??

    To compare a Sempron to an XP remember that 'Sempron rating number minus 400
    equals Athlon XP rating number'.

    The Semprons are designed to compete with a Celeron running at the same
    speed (Mhz) as the Sempron's rating.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Steve Robertson

    Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:02:23 +1300, colinco wrote:

    > The supply of Athlons will dry up soon.

    Why? How? When?

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Oct 10, 2004

  5. >
    >To compare a Sempron to an XP remember that 'Sempron rating number minus 400
    >equals Athlon XP rating number'.
    >
    >The Semprons are designed to compete with a Celeron running at the same
    >speed (Mhz) as the Sempron's rating.

    AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0GHz Socket A
    AMD Athlon XP2700+ 2.17GHz
    Both are (approx) the same price.

    Steve Robertson, Oct 10, 2004
  6. Steve Robertson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:02:23 +1300, colinco wrote:
    >
    >> The supply of Athlons will dry up soon.

    > Why? How? When?

    Socket A Athlons will soon disappear from the market. The name "Athlon" will
    be reserved for the 64-bit CPUs.

    All that will be available for the Socket A platform is Semprons. Also, to
    confuse matters, Semprons are available for the new sockets, although only
    one model ATM.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2004
  7. As I understand it - it is just a matter of branding. Athlons will be
    called Semprons, and Athlon 64s will be called Athlons.

    Andrei Sharko, Oct 10, 2004
  8. wrote:
    >>The supply of Athlons will dry up soon.

    > Why? How? When?

    the athlon name is being kept for mid range gear... sempr0n for low.
    it's already happening.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 10, 2004
  9. Steve Robertson

    Warwick Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:52:45 +1300, Andrei Sharko wrote:

    > As I understand it - it is just a matter of branding. Athlons will be
    > called Semprons, and Athlon 64s will be called Athlons.
    >
    > "Steve Robertson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I was thinking about upgrading to a semperon: they seem to benchmark
    >> pretty good. Then I looked on pricespy, Only about $20 cheaper that the
    >> equiv
    >> speed Athlon, so why bother for the sake of $20??
    >> Whats the point of a budget CPU thats not a budget price??
    >> Am I missing something here??

    Thats funny in a boot on the other foot kind of way.
    I remember early AMD days, at the time of the 486 chip.

    At that time, Intel needed a cheaper competitor to the AMD arrival. So they
    disabled the math co pro on the 486 DX chip, branded it a 486 SX, and sold
    it at a cheaper price. You could even buy a math co-pro as an accessory for
    the SX, even tho the circuitry for it was built into the cpu.

    Warwick, Oct 11, 2004