    that translate into real world performance. I've never owned a semperon, can
    anyone who owns one let me knwo how they are?

    -Nick

    Dr Nick, May 23, 2006

  2. Dr Nick

    Robert Baer Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:
    > hi, I'm wondering if there is a MAJOR difference between the semperon and
    > athlon 64's. I knwo the athlons have more cache on the core. but what does
    > that translate into real world performance. I've never owned a semperon, can
    > anyone who owns one let me knwo how they are?
    >
    > -Nick

    Simpleton what??
    Be an atha-lete!

    Robert Baer, May 23, 2006

  3. Dr Nick

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Dr Nick" <> wrote in message
    > hi, I'm wondering if there is a MAJOR difference between the semperon and
    > athlon 64's. I knwo the athlons have more cache on the core. but what does
    > that translate into real world performance. I've never owned a semperon,
    > can anyone who owns one let me knwo how they are?

    It depends on the application, in some applications the extra cache makes
    no difference, I have a 64-bit Semperon,I would have like a Athlon (cos
    it *sounds* faster). Mine is 1.8 Gigahertz with 128k cache (which is
    relatively
    small) mine has a speed rating of 3000. However if I got the 256k version
    it would be rated a 3100 I believe (according to data gleaned from AMD
    site) thats just a 3.3% performance increase which to be quite honest I
    know I would never notice.

    Looking again at AMD site is seems an increase in cache from 512kb to
    1MB is the same as a 10% increase in clock speed.
    As a rough sort of guide it seems each 128k of cache is the same
    as a 2.5% increase in clock speed. So it make some difference
    but not significant amount, it does kind of sounds sexier to have more
    cache though but in reality you will barely notice it, loads of
    other minor adjustments would see similar speed increases and
    IMO It is not worth paying for unless the price increases are of
    sismilar small proportions.

    Bazzer Smith, May 25, 2006