    semi-stuck.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jan 21, 2013

  2. Tony Cooper

    me Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    >I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    >web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    >night traffic jam.
    >
    >Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    >was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    >semi-stuck.

    Seemed obvious to me.
    me, Jan 21, 2013

  3. Tony Cooper

    nick c Guest

    On 1/21/2013 1:45 PM, me wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    >> web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    >> night traffic jam.
    >>
    >> Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    >> was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    >> semi-stuck.

    > Seemed obvious to me.

    Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
    Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.

    For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
    inauguration. [<g>]
    nick c, Jan 22, 2013
  4. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    : was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    : semi-stuck.

    Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a noun
    should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jan 22, 2013
  5. Tony Cooper

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    > wrote:
    > : I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    > : web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    > : night traffic jam.
    > :
    > : Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    > : was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    > : semi-stuck.
    >
    > Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a
    > noun
    > should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

    I think Tony was just making conversation...
    Tim Conway, Jan 22, 2013
  6. Tony Cooper

    Irwell Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 20:11:42 -0500, Tim Conway wrote:

    > "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    >> wrote:
    >>: I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    >>: web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    >>: night traffic jam.
    >>:
    >>: Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    >>: was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    >>: semi-stuck.
    >>
    >> Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a
    >> noun
    >> should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)
    >>

    > I think Tony was just making conversation...

    Tony's a refugee from the English Usage Forum.
    Irwell, Jan 22, 2013
  7. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 19:55:28 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    >: web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    >: night traffic jam.
    >:
    >: Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    >: was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    >: semi-stuck.
    >
    >Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a noun
    >should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

    Maybe you think I live in Texas where the characters in Dan Jenkins
    book "Semi-Tough" were from. I don't think "semi" is used all that
    much around here.

    Grits and gravy is a Southern dish but Florida is not a Southern
    state. Florida is in the south part of the country, but the South
    ends above the Florida state line. Maybe some of the panhandle just
    below Alabama is part of the South, but not most of Florida.

    Down here, you'll find plain grits (add butter and salt and pepper)
    and cheese grits, and even shrimp and grits, but not grits and gravy.
    Last time I had grits and gravy was in Tennessee, and that was red-eye
    gravy.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jan 22, 2013
  8. Tony Cooper

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 19:55:28 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    >>wrote:
    >>: I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    >>: web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    >>: night traffic jam.
    >>:
    >>: Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    >>: was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    >>: semi-stuck.
    >>
    >>Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a
    >>noun
    >>should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)
    >>

    > Maybe you think I live in Texas where the characters in Dan Jenkins
    > book "Semi-Tough" were from. I don't think "semi" is used all that
    > much around here.
    >
    > Grits and gravy is a Southern dish but Florida is not a Southern
    > state. Florida is in the south part of the country, but the South
    > ends above the Florida state line. Maybe some of the panhandle just
    > below Alabama is part of the South, but not most of Florida.
    >
    > Down here, you'll find plain grits (add butter and salt and pepper)
    > and cheese grits, and even shrimp and grits, but not grits and gravy.
    > Last time I had grits and gravy was in Tennessee, and that was red-eye
    > gravy.

    I have an Italian friend that calls spaghetti sauce gravy.
    Tim Conway, Jan 22, 2013
  9. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    > Maybe you think I live in Texas where the characters in Dan Jenkins
    >
    > book "Semi-Tough" were from. I don't think "semi" is used all that
    >
    > much around here.

    Here in the UK the word semi is mostly used to mean a property that is semi detached meaning that only one outside wall is shared with another property.
    Not that you wanted to know that :)
    Whisky-dave, Jan 22, 2013
  10. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 05:57:14 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
    <> wrote:

    >> Maybe you think I live in Texas where the characters in Dan Jenkins
    >>
    >> book "Semi-Tough" were from. I don't think "semi" is used all that
    >>
    >> much around here.

    >Here in the UK the word semi is mostly used to mean a property that is semi detached meaning that only one outside wall is shared with another property.
    > Not that you wanted to know that :)

    We use "semi" in a compound word like semi-finished, semi-truck, and
    semi-final, and sometimes use just "semi" to indicate the complete
    compound construction. I don't think Florida usage is any different
    from usage in the rest of the country regarding "semi".

    Semi-detached is not one of the uses, though. What you call a
    semi-detached house would be a "double" or "duplex" here.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jan 22, 2013
  11. Tony Cooper

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:08:10 PM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-01-22 06:28:53 -0800, Tony Cooper <> said:

    > >> Here in the UK the word semi is mostly used to mean a property that is

    > >> semi detached meaning that only one outside wall is shared with another

    > >> property.

    > >> Not that you wanted to know that :)

    > > We use "semi" in a compound word like semi-finished, semi-truck, and

    > > semi-final, and sometimes use just "semi" to indicate the complete

    > > compound construction. I don't think Florida usage is any different

    > > from usage in the rest of the country regarding "semi".

    > > Semi-detached is not one of the uses, though. What you call a

    > > semi-detached house would be a "double" or "duplex" here.

    > ...and then there is "semiliterate".

    semiconscious too, semicircle ... semicolon

    must be loads now I start thinking about it

    Whisky-dave, Jan 22, 2013
  12. Tony Cooper

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 22/01/2013 17:08, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:08:10 PM UTC, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2013-01-22 06:28:53 -0800, Tony Cooper <> said:

    >>> We use "semi" in a compound word like semi-finished, semi-truck, and
    >>> semi-final, and sometimes use just "semi" to indicate the complete
    >>> compound construction. I don't think Florida usage is any different
    >>> from usage in the rest of the country regarding "semi".

    >>> Semi-detached is not one of the uses, though. What you call a

    >>> semi-detached house would be a "double" or "duplex" here.

    >> ...and then there is "semiliterate".

    > semiconscious too, semicircle ... semicolon
    >
    > must be loads now I start thinking about it

    In music where demi and semi are valid prefixes.

    Not to mention seminar and Semillon ;-)

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jan 22, 2013
  13. Tony Cooper

    Peter Guest

    On 1/21/2013 7:47 PM, nick c wrote:
    > On 1/21/2013 1:45 PM, me wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    >>> web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    >>> night traffic jam.
    >>>
    >>> Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    >>> was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    >>> semi-stuck.

    >> Seemed obvious to me.
    >>

    > Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
    > Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.
    >
    > For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
    > inauguration. [<g>]

    I went home by way of th Chesepeak Bay Bridge tunnel, just to avoid
    seeing it.

    --
    PeterN
    Peter, Jan 22, 2013
  14. Tony Cooper

    Peter Guest

    On 1/21/2013 7:55 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    > wrote:
    > : I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    > : web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    > : night traffic jam.
    > :
    > : Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    > : was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    > : semi-stuck.
    >
    > Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a noun
    > should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

    Orlando is more North than South. Can't even get good grits or fried
    pickles there.

    --
    PeterN
    Peter, Jan 22, 2013
  15. Tony Cooper

    Peter Guest

    On 1/22/2013 11:08 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-01-22 06:28:53 -0800, Tony Cooper <> said:

    >>> Here in the UK the word semi is mostly used to mean a property that
    >>> is semi detached meaning that only one outside wall is shared with
    >>> another property.
    >>> Not that you wanted to know that :)

    >> We use "semi" in a compound word like semi-finished, semi-truck, and
    >> semi-final, and sometimes use just "semi" to indicate the complete
    >> compound construction. I don't think Florida usage is any different
    >> from usage in the rest of the country regarding "semi".
    >>
    >> Semi-detached is not one of the uses, though. What you call a
    >> semi-detached house would be a "double" or "duplex" here.
    >>

    > ...and then there is "semiliterate".

    Is that anything like semi=pregnant?

    --
    PeterN
    Peter, Jan 22, 2013
  16. Tony Cooper

    me Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:56:21 -0500, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >On 1/21/2013 7:47 PM, nick c wrote:
    >> On 1/21/2013 1:45 PM, me wrote:

    >>> Seemed obvious to me.
    >>>

    >> Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
    >> Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.
    >>
    >> For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
    >> inauguration. [<g>]
    >>

    >I went home by way of th Chesepeak Bay Bridge tunnel, just to avoid
    >seeing it.

    Not sure of your end points, but I live in Yorktown, VA and that is my
    preferred route to points north east, such as LI. Take Rt 13 to MD
    state line at which point take Rt 113 to Dover and hop on the Del 1
    toll road. Much preferred to any inland route.
    me, Jan 22, 2013
  17. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:59:55 -0500, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >On 1/21/2013 7:55 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    >> wrote:
    >> : I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    >> : web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    >> : night traffic jam.
    >> :
    >> : Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    >> : was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    >> : semi-stuck.
    >>
    >> Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a noun
    >> should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

    >Orlando is more North than South. Can't even get good grits or fried
    >pickles there.

    Dunno about that, Peter. I agree that Orlando is more North than
    South, and 4Rivers Smokehouse (barbecue) is the only place in town
    that routinely has fried pickles as a side. But, the grits here are
    as good here as grits get.

    --
    Tony Cooper, Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jan 22, 2013
  18. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/22/2013 5:42 PM, me wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:56:21 -0500, Peter <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
    >>> Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.
    >>>
    >>> For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
    >>> inauguration. [<g>]
    >>>

    >> I went home by way of th Chesepeak Bay Bridge tunnel, just to avoid
    >> seeing it.

    > Not sure of your end points, but I live in Yorktown, VA and that is my
    > preferred route to points north east, such as LI. Take Rt 13 to MD
    > state line at which point take Rt 113 to Dover and hop on the Del 1
    > toll road. Much preferred to any inland route.

    I was driving to LI, from Pompano Beach.
    When going to Virginia Beach we have always used the Bay-Bridge. We
    prefer not to go up Rt13, but use the slow way, through the Eastern
    Shore towns. It's a longer drive, but nicer scenery. When in a hyurry,
    we use 13.
    Had a really nice dinner at the Lynnhaven Fish House. They have a great
    she crab soup. There was a pleasant surprise, it was restaurant week,
    and the prices were about 40%less than normal.
    I just wish we had more time. The area around Waverly is quite scenic
    and highly photogenic. there are rustic old farmhouses, and the wetlands
    have still water with eerie reflections, at sunset.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jan 24, 2013
  19. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/22/2013 5:49 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:59:55 -0500, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/21/2013 7:55 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:41:34 -0500, Tony Cooper <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> : I was trying to puzzle out the meaning of this headline noticed on the
    >>> : web about news of the inauguration: "Skynyrd's semi stuck in a Sunday
    >>> : night traffic jam.
    >>> :
    >>> : Turns out the semi truck carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd's band paraphernalia
    >>> : was stuck traffic. I was trying to figure out how he could be
    >>> : semi-stuck.
    >>>
    >>> Get a grip, Tony! You live in the South; the use of the word "semi" as a noun
    >>> should be as natural to you as grits and gravy. ;^)

    >> Orlando is more North than South. Can't even get good grits or fried
    >> pickles there.

    > Dunno about that, Peter. I agree that Orlando is more North than
    > South, and 4Rivers Smokehouse (barbecue) is the only place in town
    > that routinely has fried pickles as a side. But, the grits here are
    > as good here as grits get.

    Of course you have been to more grits joints, but I can only relate my
    own experiences. I am happy to be wrong, and I hope you can get grits as
    good as in Savannah or Charleston.
    It is hard to beat the fried pickles at Uncle Bubba's, though I hope you
    can if you enjoy eating them.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jan 24, 2013
  20. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/22/2013 5:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2013-01-22 13:56:21 -0800, Peter <> said:

    >>> Obvious? Perhaps. It depends upon how one puts the words together. Is it
    >>> Skynyrd's semi or semi stuck that describes the situation.
    >>>
    >>> For my dough, that traffic jam would be more interesting to see than the
    >>> inauguration. [<g>]
    >>>

    >> I went home by way of th Chesepeak Bay Bridge tunnel, just to avoid
    >> seeing it.

    > The last time I took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, which was back in
    > 1985, we stopped at one of the mid-channel tunnel island entrances, and
    > had one of the best bay scallop meals I have experienced. I have never
    > quite been able to replicate it.
    >
    > That trip also took us over the Cape May-Lewes ferry, not an unpleasant
    > boat ride.

    The ferry is a nice ride, but not when the air temperature inland, is 37.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jan 24, 2013