Semi-OTP: Godzilla DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TB, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. TB

    TB Guest

    "Derek Janssen" wrote:

    > Since I don't know which other sympathetic ear will listen (no, sit down,
    > Ethan, you're not worth the trouble), I had to say:
    >
    > If only one of the new "vintage" Toho Godzilla DVD's coming out from Sony
    > this week after the new-generation ones (haven't seen "Son of" or
    > "Hedorah", but just watched Ebirah aka "vs. Sea Monster", long famed for
    > its crappy public-domain exile) are any indication, they look pretty darn
    > GOOD. 0_0
    > Restored print. Widescreen. AND original Japanese soundtrack with subs.
    >
    > Assuming that Sony now has an "in" connection with Toho, and a gradual
    > softening of their no-R1 heart, anyone know whether there's any chance
    > we'll see official versions of the "classic five" that Sony put out
    > earlier (arthouse "Godzilla 1" reissue aside)?--
    > Or are those still in Toho's cultural-pride reserve vault?

    The US release rights are owned by several other studios at the moment. I
    don't know who owns the rights for "King Kong vs Godzilla" although the
    English language version was released by Goodtimes Video about 6 years ago
    and is now long out of print. The original "Godzilla" and "Mothra vs
    Godzilla" is currently available in it's original English language dub from
    Sony Tri Star. Both are unfortunately fullscreen (although "Godzilla"
    pretty much was originally projected fullscreen anyway) and fairly mediocre
    looking prints.

    There's a strong chance "Rialto Pictures" who ran a limited run of a
    beautiful restored original Japanese language subtitled print in theaters
    last year will release a new dvd of the original "Godzilla" in the new
    future.

    "Godzilla Raids Again" and "Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster"US
    distribution rights are currently owned by some small video company who's
    name I forget at the moment and are slated for release later this year. It's
    unclear if new or "International" English language dubs will be used instead
    of the original Englsih language dubbed prinst.

    I agree that the recent batch of Sony "classic" Godzilla dvds look great.
    Even though it's regarded as one of the weakest Godzilla films, "Son of
    Godzilla" looks as good as if not better than the original Japanese region 2
    dvd.

    It's nice they include the original Japanese language tracks and my only
    complaint is that they couldn't use the original US English language dubbed
    audio but I'm sure it's an unavoidable issue of distribution rights that
    prevent Sony from using those versions. The old English language dubs just
    have so much more character to them then the "International" dubs.

    T.B.
    TB, Feb 11, 2005

  2. TB

    Justin Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote on [Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:22:18 -0800]:

    Semi OTP??? One True Pair?

    > If only one of the new "vintage" Toho Godzilla DVD's coming out from
    > Sony this week after the new-generation ones (haven't seen "Son of" or
    > "Hedorah", but just watched Ebirah aka "vs. Sea Monster", long famed for
    > its crappy public-domain exile) are any indication, they look pretty
    > darn GOOD. 0_0
    > Restored print. Widescreen. AND original Japanese soundtrack with subs.
    >
    > Assuming that Sony now has an "in" connection with Toho, and a gradual
    > softening of their no-R1 heart, anyone know whether there's any chance
    > we'll see official versions of the "classic five" that Sony put out
    > earlier (arthouse "Godzilla 1" reissue aside)?--

    Godzilla 1 be damned. It's Gojira
    Justin, Feb 11, 2005

  3. TB

    Jim Hollis Guest

    For me I would rather get the Japanese language version with English
    subtitles as many of these titles were edited timewise, had new scenes or
    actors placed and even different musical scores for the USA releases.

    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2005
  5. TB wrote:

    > The US release rights are owned by several other studios at the moment. I
    > don't know who owns the rights for "King Kong vs Godzilla" although the
    > English language version was released by Goodtimes Video about 6 years ago
    > and is now long out of print. The original "Godzilla" and "Mothra vs
    > Godzilla" is currently available in it's original English language dub from
    > Sony Tri Star. Both are unfortunately fullscreen (although "Godzilla"
    > pretty much was originally projected fullscreen anyway) and fairly mediocre
    > looking prints.

    Sony Music snapped up the vintage cheapie-dub "classic 5"--King of,
    Revenge, vs. Mothra, Rodan, Terror of Mech--from (the marginally better)
    Scimitar, to keep them under one brand name.
    Don't know if those five are under any rights issues, but those, along
    with the original Mothra and Ghidrah-3HM (which always seemed to be
    passed over, not being properly franchise-promotable with *the* Big
    Guy), are the current holy grails for restored dual-language versions.

    > "Godzilla Raids Again" and "Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster"US
    > distribution rights are currently owned by some small video company who's
    > name I forget at the moment and are slated for release later this year. It's
    > unclear if new or "International" English language dubs will be used instead
    > of the original Englsih language dubbed prinst.

    If it's not Col/Tri (who does their own in-house dubs for imports), I'm
    guessing just the existing dub--
    Sony's the only one with the solid bi-Pacific connection, and part of
    their deal may date back to when Sony was the studio that was going to
    negotiate with Toho for that US-version mess.

    > I agree that the recent batch of Sony "classic" Godzilla dvds look great.
    > Even though it's regarded as one of the weakest Godzilla films, "Son of
    > Godzilla" looks as good as if not better than the original Japanese region 2
    > dvd.

    I'd only seen "Sea Monster" on the muddy fullscreen PD versions (or
    MST3K), and practically did a double-take at seeing it in clear
    technicolor... 0_0
    IIRC, that leaves only fellow exile "vs. Megalon", which's hardly one of
    the prime entries, but it's nice to see ANYTHING rescued out of PD limbo.

    > It's nice they include the original Japanese language tracks and my only
    > complaint is that they couldn't use the original US English language dubbed
    > audio but I'm sure it's an unavoidable issue of distribution rights that
    > prevent Sony from using those versions. The old English language dubs just
    > have so much more character to them then the "International" dubs.

    They were the affectionately goofiness that we grew up on, but...well,
    whatever pays the lawyer bills. :/

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2005
  6. TB

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <fr7Pd.1654$>, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    > TB wrote:
    >
    > > It's nice they include the original Japanese language tracks and my only
    > > complaint is that they couldn't use the original US English language dubbed
    > > audio but I'm sure it's an unavoidable issue of distribution rights that
    > > prevent Sony from using those versions. The old English language dubs just
    > > have so much more character to them then the "International" dubs.

    > They were the affectionately goofiness that we grew up on, but...well,
    > whatever pays the lawyer bills. :/

    Many US releases of Godzilla films were edited in some way, and just as
    in the case with classic anime shows you can either have the original
    dub and not Japanese track or the original Japanese version and a new
    dub, but not both. Unless you treat them as two different films and but
    both on one dvd.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Feb 11, 2005
  7. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message

    > Since I don't know which other sympathetic ear will listen (no, sit
    > down, Ethan, you're not worth the trouble), I had to say:

    You are just jealous of my vicarious lifestyle.

    > If only one of the new "vintage" Toho Godzilla DVD's coming out from
    > Sony this week after the new-generation ones (haven't seen "Son of" or
    > "Hedorah", but just watched Ebirah aka "vs. Sea Monster", long famed for
    > its crappy public-domain exile) are any indication, they look pretty
    > darn GOOD. 0_0
    > Restored print. Widescreen. AND original Japanese soundtrack with subs.

    I assume by the vintage ones you mean Godzilla King of the Monsters,
    Rodan, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla's Revenge, and Terror of Mechagodzilla.
    I wish they would re-release them as well, as they are some of the best G
    movies, except for Godzilla's Revenge. Sadly I don't think we will see
    a decent release of any of them anytime soon except maybe for the original
    Japanese version of Gojira.

    I am picking up Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II this week, the only form I
    have it in is raw Japanese VHS.

    > Assuming that Sony now has an "in" connection with Toho, and a gradual
    > softening of their no-R1 heart, anyone know whether there's any chance
    > we'll see official versions of the "classic five" that Sony put out
    > earlier (arthouse "Godzilla 1" reissue aside)?--
    > Or are those still in Toho's cultural-pride reserve vault?

    I wish they would re-release all of the Hesei series with Japanese
    dialouge and in widescreen.

    --
    All Purpose Cultural Randomness
    http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html
    Ethan Hammond, Feb 12, 2005
  8. TB

    Guest

    I liked when they advertised the U.S. version of the origianal
    "Godzilla" to be shown on one of my local tv stations. the announcer
    said

    "I don't know who's bigger, Godzilla or Raymond Burr".
    , Feb 16, 2005

  10. TB

    Guest

    While advertising Godzilla to be shown the next week, My local tv
    station announcer said

    "I don't know who's bigger. Godzilla or Raymond Burr"

    and then started laughing, while still on the air.
    , Feb 16, 2005