    Microsoft documentation is surprisingly sparse in comparing the two
    products, it's mostly marketing sales pitches and nothing technical.
    Is the SQL server handicapped in any way in the premium edition?
    Sartan Dragonbane, May 9, 2004

  2. Sartan Dragonbane

    Neil Guest

    "Sartan Dragonbane" <> wrote in
    news:LGtnc.19191$F04.15840@clgrps13:

    > Note topic!
    > Small Business Server is quite inexpensive in comparison to purchasing
    > Windows 2003 and exchange seperately.
    > What sort of limitations are there?
    > Microsoft documentation is surprisingly sparse in comparing the two
    > products, it's mostly marketing sales pitches and nothing technical.
    > Is the SQL server handicapped in any way in the premium edition?

    from the SBS site at M$

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/generalf
    aq.mspx

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/zm65

    What is Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server?

    A. Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server is designed for partners
    who want to deliver a server solution based on Windows Server 2003 as
    part of their product offering. It provides the same version of Windows
    Server 2003 that is used by Windows Small Business Server 2003, but it
    has none of the added features included in the standard edition or
    premium edition of Windows Small Business Server 2003.

    Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server has the following
    restrictions:

    • Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Server 2003 for
    Small Business Server.

    • Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server must be the root of the
    Active Directory® forest.

    • Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server cannot trust any other
    domains.

    • A Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server domain cannot have any
    child domains.

    • Each additional server must have a Windows Server 2003 for Small
    Business Server client access license (CAL). You can use CALs for each
    user or for each device.

    and here is another point that you may want to consider from the same
    page:

    Q. Is it possible to install the server applications included with
    Windows Small Business Server 2003 on a different computer running
    Windows Server? For example, I want to run SQL Server on the computer
    running Windows Small Business Server 2003, but I want to run Exchange
    Server 2003 on a different computer.

    A. No. The server applications that come with the product must be
    installed on the same physical machine, if they are installed at all. The
    only exception is that FrontPage 2003, which is included with the premium
    edition, may be installed on a single client computer in the Windows
    Small Business Server 2003 network.

    HTH

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, May 9, 2004

  3. Thanks.
    Doesn't look like anything is going to be a problem.

    Sartan Dragonbane, May 10, 2004
  4. Sartan Dragonbane

    billyw Guest

    also sbs2k3 has things as standard that the seperates dont..

    billyw, May 10, 2004
  5. Sartan Dragonbane

    Kendal Emery Guest

    You are also limited to 75 users......

    Up from 50 in previous editions, but still limited.

    Kendal Emery, May 11, 2004