Semi-OT: Smartfone recommendation pls.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi Gang,

    I have a friend who travels quite a bit (in NZ), isn't very rich but was
    considering getting a cheap-ish, low-end tablet. She wants it mainly for
    watching movies and perhaps reading books (although she has a Kindle Touch -
    she could part with that if the phone ends up doing the job).

    I told her that she'd likely be better off with an inexpensive smartphone
    with a largish screen as she carries a cell phone anyway. That seemed like
    the best option to me anyway. Well, it seems that I convinced her and now
    she's asking for a recommendation and frankly I haven't got a clue! (Should
    have kept my mouth shut.)

    Anyway, I thought that I'd ask here, in these two groups as I know there's a
    lot of knowledge here. Also it's quite time-sensitive as it's her birthday
    next week and she's being given a few dollars from family and wants to put
    to it and but one. If it wasn't time-sensitive I'd try harder to educate
    myself so I could advise her. However, I have my own shite to do so, if
    anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

    Basically she's with 2 Degrees so it needs to support them - and it probably
    needs a reasonable screen (and audio as she'll use a head-set with it).
    Portability would be great too but there are always trade-offs. WiFi not
    essential by any means, just a USB port.

    Thanks in advance if anyone is kind enough to offer an opinion. Oh, she's
    not interested in plans - a straight-out purchase is what she's after.

    Thanks for reading. :)
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 18:30:58 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
    <snip>

    Even larger smartphone screens such as Samsung GalaxyS3 is IMHO too small for book reading and movie watching. And those sort of phones are big money or free on big money monthly contracts.

    2degrees is expensive for data. If you are out of the main centers you needtheir "National 3G" plan which is IIRC $10 for 100Mb. Better deal with their mobile broadband plan if you are just in the main centers but then you are stuffed if you are travelling in the boonies.

    Skinny have a far, far better data plan $4/week for 200Mb. If you want phone/txt you can add that for another $4/wk.

    All tablets have wifi AFAIK but 3G ones always cost more.

    I got the missus a relatively inexpensive 7" 3G tablet and put a skinny SIMin it and it's been perfect. It's a ZTE Light Tab 9 and I think I got it from expansys for under $300 but they don't have it now. Only Android 2.3 but for email and web use that's no big deal. There's probably better optionsavailable now.
    JohnO, Mar 20, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 21:46:05 UTC+13, JohnO wrote:

    Oh, and there's no reason to stay with 2degrees - you can take your number to skinny.

    The big problem is do you want to carry a phone and a tablet? Bit of a pain.. And if you have both, do you want two SIMs? If you get a cheap Android phone with a good data account it can act as a wifi hot spot for a cheaper wifi tablet. But it's a bit of an inconvenience to switch it on vs an always on 3G tablet.
    JohnO, Mar 20, 2013
    #3
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 21:46:05 UTC+13, JohnO wrote:
    >
    > Oh, and there's no reason to stay with 2degrees - you can take your
    > number to skinny.
    >
    > The big problem is do you want to carry a phone and a tablet? Bit of
    > a pain. And if you have both, do you want two SIMs? If you get a
    > cheap Android phone with a good data account it can act as a wifi hot
    > spot for a cheaper wifi tablet. But it's a bit of an inconvenience to
    > switch it on vs an always on 3G tablet.


    Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

    She's on the $19/month prepay plan, same as me. (S'funny, a plan but it's
    gotta come out of a pre-paid balance.)

    For that you get unlimited texts, 40 or 50 minutes of NZ minutes (not sure,
    hardly use fone for voice) and 500MB data. As I said though, she really just
    wants to watch videos, come visit, load up on the latest episodes I might
    have, then watch them at her leisure over the next couple weeks - or until
    the next visit. I just figured she'd be better off with a phone than having
    to carry a phone *and* a tablet (and her Kindle). Especially as she's prone
    to losing (track of) things. Also - only one charger....

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2013
    #4
  5. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 23:22:17 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    <snip>
    >
    > She's on the $19/month prepay plan, same as me. (S'funny, a plan but it's
    > gotta come out of a pre-paid balance.)


    Yet the minimim top-up is $20. So ever month you get to loan 2degrees a dollar interest free and after 19 months you can actually get that back!

    Also, they have an extremely inconvenient 2 step process. First you have to charge up your account balance with money, and then you need to buy your pre-pay plan with money in your account. Why can't you just make a $19 purchase directly?

    Your friend is already used to this so probably doesn't mind.

    Skinny have a slightly less annoying $4.50 min top up against a $4/week plan but you can at least just top up $8 every two weeks (and you can make that automatic) so you don't have them as an incrementing creditor for 19 months.

    Skinny's customer service is non existent though. I had a lot of problems with their web based sign up initially and it was impossible to get a human to answer their support line.

    > For that you get unlimited texts, 40 or 50 minutes of NZ minutes (not sure,
    > hardly use fone for voice) and 500MB data.


    That 500Mb/month is a temporary deal - it is usually a measly 30Mb! Deal ends in June but maybe it will be replaced with a similar deal.

    > As I said though, she really just
    > wants to watch videos, come visit, load up on the latest episodes I might
    > have, then watch them at her leisure over the next couple weeks - or until
    > the next visit. I just figured she'd be better off with a phone than having
    > to carry a phone *and* a tablet (and her Kindle). Especially as she's prone
    > to losing (track of) things. Also - only one charger....


    With decent 3G and a decent amount of data she should be able to watch those episodes over the air?

    Anyway, good luck finding the best compromise!
    JohnO, Mar 20, 2013
    #5
  6. On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:30:24 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <>
    wrote:

    >On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 23:22:17 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>
    >> She's on the $19/month prepay plan, same as me. (S'funny, a plan but it's
    >> gotta come out of a pre-paid balance.)

    >
    >Yet the minimim top-up is $20. So ever month you get to loan 2degrees a dollar interest free and after 19 months you can actually get that back!
    >
    >Also, they have an extremely inconvenient 2 step process. First you have to charge up your account balance with money, and then you need to buy your pre-pay plan with money in your account. Why can't you just make a $19 purchase directly?
    >
    >Your friend is already used to this so probably doesn't mind.
    >
    >Skinny have a slightly less annoying $4.50 min top up against a $4/week plan but you can at least just top up $8 every two weeks (and you can make that automatic) so you don't have them as an incrementing creditor for 19 months.
    >
    >Skinny's customer service is non existent though. I had a lot of problems with their web based sign up initially and it was impossible to get a human to answer their support line.
    >
    >> For that you get unlimited texts, 40 or 50 minutes of NZ minutes (not sure,
    >> hardly use fone for voice) and 500MB data.

    >
    >That 500Mb/month is a temporary deal - it is usually a measly 30Mb! Deal ends in June but maybe it will be replaced with a similar deal.
    >
    >> As I said though, she really just
    >> wants to watch videos, come visit, load up on the latest episodes I might
    >> have, then watch them at her leisure over the next couple weeks - or until
    >> the next visit. I just figured she'd be better off with a phone than having
    >> to carry a phone *and* a tablet (and her Kindle). Especially as she's prone
    >> to losing (track of) things. Also - only one charger....

    >
    >With decent 3G and a decent amount of data she should be able to watch those episodes over the air?
    >
    >Anyway, good luck finding the best compromise!
    >
    >




    The Huawei Ideos X3's would be the cheapest smart phone at the moment
    at $89, has a few short comings and gets mixed reviews.


    DSE has them on sale.
    Frank Williams, Mar 20, 2013
    #6
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 23:22:17 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>
    >> She's on the $19/month prepay plan, same as me. (S'funny, a plan but
    >> it's gotta come out of a pre-paid balance.)

    >
    > Yet the minimim top-up is $20. So ever month you get to loan 2degrees
    > a dollar interest free and after 19 months you can actually get that
    > back!
    >
    > Also, they have an extremely inconvenient 2 step process. First you
    > have to charge up your account balance with money, and then you need
    > to buy your pre-pay plan with money in your account. Why can't you
    > just make a $19 purchase directly?
    >
    > Your friend is already used to this so probably doesn't mind.


    Yeah, it's annoying but as NZers there are other annoyances that are as bad
    or worse. (Banks taking a weekend to Tx funds between two NZ accounts
    f'r'instance.) At the end of the day it's a few bucks in that ultimately you
    get back - there are worse practices.

    > Skinny have a slightly less annoying $4.50 min top up against a
    > $4/week plan but you can at least just top up $8 every two weeks (and
    > you can make that automatic) so you don't have them as an
    > incrementing creditor for 19 months.
    >
    > Skinny's customer service is non existent though. I had a lot of
    > problems with their web based sign up initially and it was impossible
    > to get a human to answer their support line.
    >
    >> For that you get unlimited texts, 40 or 50 minutes of NZ minutes
    >> (not sure, hardly use fone for voice) and 500MB data.

    >
    > That 500Mb/month is a temporary deal - it is usually a measly 30Mb!
    > Deal ends in June but maybe it will be replaced with a similar deal.


    I've been on that deal for nearly a year, they keep giving an expiry date
    yet it keeps getting extended. <shrug>

    >> As I said though, she really just
    >> wants to watch videos, come visit, load up on the latest episodes I
    >> might have, then watch them at her leisure over the next couple
    >> weeks - or until the next visit. I just figured she'd be better off
    >> with a phone than having to carry a phone *and* a tablet (and her
    >> Kindle). Especially as she's prone to losing (track of) things. Also
    >> - only one charger....

    >
    > With decent 3G and a decent amount of data she should be able to
    > watch those episodes over the air?


    Not likely - at least not at a price she can afford. An episode a night for
    a couple days would eat that quota up quick-fast. She usually grabs an 8GB
    USB stick full at least when I see her. The data would only be used for a
    few pxts and maybe email.

    I only really need advice about a device - all she needs is a phone that she
    can watch mp4s / avis on. Long story but she spends a lot of time in
    'hostels' etc. where they don't advise / allow computers (as such) or she
    could use the nice little IBM X31 ThinkPad that I gave her a while back.
    However something that's on her person all the time is a safer bet. She
    carries her 'dumb' Nokia slider with her anyway (and hides her Kindle...).

    > Anyway, good luck finding the best compromise!


    Thanks. :) I was hoping for more input as I'll be giving her a few $$ as
    well (that I can't afford <sigh>) and would like to do all I can to help her
    get the best for her money - frankly she wouldn't have a clue (and the same
    applies to me at the moment). :-/ I'd hate to learn about the available
    options retrospectively as a result of her getting ripped off.

    Cheers JohnO, appreciate the input. From what I've seen it seems she's going
    to need more than the ~$200 or so (plus whatever I can divert/justify)
    she'll have available. I'd hoped that, as they're a fairly mature product
    now there'd be a budget line out there somewhere - she doesn't need bells
    and whistles.

    Best,
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2013
    #7
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    [snips]
    > I'd hoped that, as they're a
    > fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    > somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.


    Just found this at DSE:
    http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have all that
    she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of a decent memory
    card).
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 21, 2013
    #8
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > [snips]
    >> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    >> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    >> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.

    >
    > Just found this at DSE:
    > http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    > Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    > all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of
    > a decent memory card).


    Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one (closer to
    2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for $249 there's:
    http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio

    Niether of which is really a winner. :( The first has the same resolution
    screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the same conectivity)....
    Although another review said the Gio *does* have 3G - confusing.

    I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there and it seems that you get
    what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A decent phone /
    screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 21, 2013
    #9
  10. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kidlbu$mtl$>, ,
    ~misfit~ says...
    >
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > [snips]
    > >> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    > >> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    > >> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.

    > >
    > > Just found this at DSE:
    > > http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    > > Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    > > all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of
    > > a decent memory card).

    >
    > Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one (closer to
    > 2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for $249 there's:
    > http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio
    >
    > Niether of which is really a winner. :( The first has the same resolution
    > screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the same conectivity)....
    > Although another review said the Gio *does* have 3G - confusing.
    >
    > I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there and it seems that you get
    > what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A decent phone /
    > screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>
    >
    > Cheers,


    What's the price of the Huawei Ascend G300's now. I used to have one
    when it was specialed for $199, I think it was. Great phone, once the
    volume update was applied. 4.3" screen IIRC.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Mar 21, 2013
    #10
  11. ~misfit~

    Me Guest

    On 21/03/2013 4:14 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <kidlbu$mtl$>, ,
    > ~misfit~ says...
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> [snips]
    >>>> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    >>>> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    >>>> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.
    >>>
    >>> Just found this at DSE:
    >>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    >>> Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    >>> all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of
    >>> a decent memory card).

    >>
    >> Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one (closer to
    >> 2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for $249 there's:
    >> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio
    >>
    >> Niether of which is really a winner. :( The first has the same resolution
    >> screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the same conectivity)....
    >> Although another review said the Gio *does* have 3G - confusing.
    >>
    >> I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there and it seems that you get
    >> what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A decent phone /
    >> screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    >
    > What's the price of the Huawei Ascend G300's now. I used to have one
    > when it was specialed for $199, I think it was. Great phone, once the
    > volume update was applied. 4.3" screen IIRC.
    >

    I have been using one of those for a year, I think I paid $249.
    4" 800x480 good screen with gorilla glass.
    Works fine on 2d or Vodaphone, but won't work on Telecom.
    Excellent GPS, microSD slot (max 32GB?), wifi.
    Plays movies fine/smoothly, audio through bluetooth headphones etc.
    Battery life is excellent.
    The issues with ringer volume and erratic touch-screen performance were
    addressed by a firmware update released before Huawei rolled out an
    Android 4.0 update last year.
    The camera is not very good, the back panel scratches easily, but that
    doesn't worry me - I just throw it in to pockets etc with keys or
    whatever and don't care.
    But, with slight presbyopia (not bad enough to need reading glasses, but
    "my arms are getting shorter") I don't know if I could be fagged trying
    to read a book on a 4" screen. Then again I don't think I'd want a
    larger cellphone. I don't like our 10" tablet either - given the choice
    I always grab the laptop. But battery life on laptops suck.
    The perfect device doesn't exist - everything is a compromise.
    Me, Mar 21, 2013
    #11
  12. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-03-21, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > [snips]
    >> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    >> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    >> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.

    >
    > Just found this at DSE:
    > http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    > Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have all that
    > she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of a decent memory
    > card).


    From what I have read, and understand, alot of the price is in the screen.
    Sort of each pixel cost x cents. More pixels more $. Better screen also
    tends to have a better engine as well.

    That is why the rave reviews go on about the screen for some paragraphs.

    The real question is: How many pixels do you a) need b) want and c) can
    afford.
    Gordon, Mar 21, 2013
    #12
  13. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-03-21, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> [snips]
    >>> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    >>> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    >>> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.

    >>
    >> Just found this at DSE:
    >> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    >> Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    >> all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of
    >> a decent memory card).

    >
    > Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one (closer to
    > 2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for $249 there's:
    > http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio
    >
    > Niether of which is really a winner. :( The first has the same resolution
    > screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the same conectivity)....
    > Although another review said the Gio *does* have 3G - confusing.
    >
    > I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there and it seems that you get
    > what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A decent phone /
    > screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>
    >

    No that reminds me, there was a review of mobile phones in a comupter mag a
    few months ago. Opening statement, if you want to spend either < $200 or
    more than $900 on a mobile phone the answer is easy. Inbetween you sweat
    over the choice and the features vs $.

    Good grief found it NZ PC World February 2013. It considers the best phone
    for various types of people.
    Gordon, Mar 21, 2013
    #13
  14. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-03-21, Me <> wrote:
    > On 21/03/2013 4:14 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <kidlbu$mtl$>, ,
    >> ~misfit~ says...
    >>>
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>> [snips]
    >>>>> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    >>>>> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    >>>>> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.
    >>>>
    >>>> Just found this at DSE:
    >>>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    >>>> Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    >>>> all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of
    >>>> a decent memory card).
    >>>
    >>> Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one (closer to
    >>> 2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for $249 there's:
    >>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio
    >>>
    >>> Niether of which is really a winner. :( The first has the same resolution
    >>> screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the same conectivity)....
    >>> Although another review said the Gio *does* have 3G - confusing.
    >>>
    >>> I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there and it seems that you get
    >>> what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A decent phone /
    >>> screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >>
    >> What's the price of the Huawei Ascend G300's now. I used to have one
    >> when it was specialed for $199, I think it was. Great phone, once the
    >> volume update was applied. 4.3" screen IIRC.
    >>

    > I have been using one of those for a year, I think I paid $249.
    > 4" 800x480 good screen with gorilla glass.
    > Works fine on 2d or Vodaphone, but won't work on Telecom.
    > Excellent GPS, microSD slot (max 32GB?), wifi.
    > Plays movies fine/smoothly, audio through bluetooth headphones etc.
    > Battery life is excellent.
    > The issues with ringer volume and erratic touch-screen performance were
    > addressed by a firmware update released before Huawei rolled out an
    > Android 4.0 update last year.
    > The camera is not very good, the back panel scratches easily, but that
    > doesn't worry me - I just throw it in to pockets etc with keys or
    > whatever and don't care.
    > But, with slight presbyopia (not bad enough to need reading glasses, but
    > "my arms are getting shorter") I don't know if I could be fagged trying
    > to read a book on a 4" screen. Then again I don't think I'd want a
    > larger cellphone. I don't like our 10" tablet either - given the choice
    > I always grab the laptop. But battery life on laptops suck.
    > The perfect device doesn't exist - everything is a compromise.
    >
    >

    Not if you only want one thing. ;-)
    Gordon, Mar 21, 2013
    #14
  15. ~misfit~

    Me Guest

    On 21/03/2013 5:43 p.m., Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-03-21, Me <> wrote:
    >> On 21/03/2013 4:14 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> In article <kidlbu$mtl$>, ,
    >>> ~misfit~ says...
    >>>>
    >>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>>> [snips]
    >>>>>> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    >>>>>> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    >>>>>> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Just found this at DSE:
    >>>>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    >>>>> Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    >>>>> all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of
    >>>>> a decent memory card).
    >>>>
    >>>> Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one (closer to
    >>>> 2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for $249 there's:
    >>>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio
    >>>>
    >>>> Niether of which is really a winner. :( The first has the same resolution
    >>>> screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the same conectivity)....
    >>>> Although another review said the Gio *does* have 3G - confusing.
    >>>>
    >>>> I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there and it seems that you get
    >>>> what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A decent phone /
    >>>> screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>
    >>>>
    >>>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> What's the price of the Huawei Ascend G300's now. I used to have one
    >>> when it was specialed for $199, I think it was. Great phone, once the
    >>> volume update was applied. 4.3" screen IIRC.
    >>>

    >> I have been using one of those for a year, I think I paid $249.
    >> 4" 800x480 good screen with gorilla glass.
    >> Works fine on 2d or Vodaphone, but won't work on Telecom.
    >> Excellent GPS, microSD slot (max 32GB?), wifi.
    >> Plays movies fine/smoothly, audio through bluetooth headphones etc.
    >> Battery life is excellent.
    >> The issues with ringer volume and erratic touch-screen performance were
    >> addressed by a firmware update released before Huawei rolled out an
    >> Android 4.0 update last year.
    >> The camera is not very good, the back panel scratches easily, but that
    >> doesn't worry me - I just throw it in to pockets etc with keys or
    >> whatever and don't care.
    >> But, with slight presbyopia (not bad enough to need reading glasses, but
    >> "my arms are getting shorter") I don't know if I could be fagged trying
    >> to read a book on a 4" screen. Then again I don't think I'd want a
    >> larger cellphone. I don't like our 10" tablet either - given the choice
    >> I always grab the laptop. But battery life on laptops suck.
    >> The perfect device doesn't exist - everything is a compromise.
    >>
    >>

    > Not if you only want one thing. ;-)
    >

    True - I want one thing which does everything, hopefully forever, and as
    cheaply as possible.
    Me, Mar 21, 2013
    #15
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-03-21, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> [snips]
    >>>> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    >>>> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    >>>> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.
    >>>
    >>> Just found this at DSE:
    >>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    >>> Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    >>> all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of
    >>> a decent memory card).

    >>
    >> Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one
    >> (closer to 2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for
    >> $249 there's:
    >> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio
    >>
    >> Niether of which is really a winner. :( The first has the same
    >> resolution screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the
    >> same conectivity).... Although another review said the Gio *does*
    >> have 3G - confusing.
    >>
    >> I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there and it seems that
    >> you get what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A
    >> decent phone / screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>
    >>

    > No that reminds me, there was a review of mobile phones in a comupter
    > mag a few months ago. Opening statement, if you want to spend either
    > < $200 or more than $900 on a mobile phone the answer is easy.
    > Inbetween you sweat over the choice and the features vs $.


    Thanks Gordon, yeah, that's the same conclusion that I came to after a few
    hours surfing and Googling.

    > Good grief found it NZ PC World February 2013. It considers the best
    > phone for various types of people.


    Ok. I gave up buying PC mags when they started being all about phones, TVs,
    cameras etc. rather than about PC hardware. :-/ It about coincided with my
    re-location from above to below the poverty line anyway so finding the money
    to buy the magazines became harder.

    Cheers
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 21, 2013
    #16
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
    > On 21/03/2013 4:14 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <kidlbu$mtl$>, ,
    >> ~misfit~ says...
    >>>
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>> [snips]
    >>>>> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    >>>>> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    >>>>> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.
    >>>>
    >>>> Just found this at DSE:
    >>>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    >>>> Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    >>>> all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price
    >>>> of a decent memory card).
    >>>
    >>> Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one
    >>> (closer to 2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for
    >>> $249 there's:
    >>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio Niether of
    >>> which is really a winner. :( The first has the same
    >>> resolution screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the
    >>> same conectivity).... Although another review said the Gio *does*
    >>> have 3G - confusing. I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there
    >>> and it seems that
    >>> you get what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A
    >>> decent phone / screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >>
    >> What's the price of the Huawei Ascend G300's now. I used to have one
    >> when it was specialed for $199, I think it was. Great phone, once
    >> the volume update was applied. 4.3" screen IIRC.
    >>

    > I have been using one of those for a year, I think I paid $249.
    > 4" 800x480 good screen with gorilla glass.
    > Works fine on 2d or Vodaphone, but won't work on Telecom.
    > Excellent GPS, microSD slot (max 32GB?), wifi.
    > Plays movies fine/smoothly, audio through bluetooth headphones etc.
    > Battery life is excellent.
    > The issues with ringer volume and erratic touch-screen performance
    > were addressed by a firmware update released before Huawei rolled out
    > an Android 4.0 update last year.
    > The camera is not very good, the back panel scratches easily, but that
    > doesn't worry me - I just throw it in to pockets etc with keys or
    > whatever and don't care.
    > But, with slight presbyopia (not bad enough to need reading glasses,
    > but "my arms are getting shorter") I don't know if I could be fagged
    > trying to read a book on a 4" screen. Then again I don't think I'd
    > want a larger cellphone. I don't like our 10" tablet either - given
    > the choice I always grab the laptop. But battery life on laptops
    > suck. The perfect device doesn't exist - everything is a compromise.


    Yep.

    Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna keep out of it (unless she can come up
    with most all of $550 or so).
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 21, 2013
    #17
  18. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kie1qr$lta$>, , Me
    says...
    >
    > On 21/03/2013 4:14 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <kidlbu$mtl$>, ,
    > > ~misfit~ says...
    > >>
    > >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >>> [snips]
    > >>>> I'd hoped that, as they're a
    > >>>> fairly mature product now there'd be a budget line out there
    > >>>> somewhere - she doesn't need bells and whistles.
    > >>>
    > >>> Just found this at DSE:
    > >>> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0099/samsung-galaxy-pocket-black-4
    > >>> Shame that it's only 320x240 resolution, otherwise it seems to have
    > >>> all that she needs (and more - wifi and GPS) for $129 (plus price of
    > >>> a decent memory card).
    > >>
    > >> Just found that the above's 11 months old. For an even older one (closer to
    > >> 2 years) with a better screen (320x480) but no 3G for $249 there's:
    > >> http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/EM0053/samsung-galaxy-gio
    > >>
    > >> Niether of which is really a winner. :( The first has the same resolution
    > >> screen as her existing Nokia C2-02 and the second the same conectivity)....
    > >> Although another review said the Gio *does* have 3G - confusing.
    > >>
    > >> I give up, there's a plethora of phones out there and it seems that you get
    > >> what you pay for - there're no real winners or bargains. A decent phone /
    > >> screen combo comes in at ~$550. <shrug>
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,

    > >
    > > What's the price of the Huawei Ascend G300's now. I used to have one
    > > when it was specialed for $199, I think it was. Great phone, once the
    > > volume update was applied. 4.3" screen IIRC.
    > >

    > I have been using one of those for a year, I think I paid $249.
    > 4" 800x480 good screen with gorilla glass.
    > Works fine on 2d or Vodaphone, but won't work on Telecom.


    Yep, sorry 4" screen it is. I like my new phone much better. I found
    the CPU speed was a bit dissapointing on the 300 - but for the price,
    it's a great phone. I just found the receipt, it was from Vodafone, and
    was $199, on a one day only special. I had a 2 Deg SIM in it (my new
    phone requires a micro-SIM (back in the days when they didn't have the
    micro-SIM break-out), so I had to get a new one of those. If the
    current price is $249, I guess that's a bit dear for your friend. I'm
    surprised to hear they dont' work on the Telecom network - do you know
    why?

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Mar 21, 2013
    #18
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > news:kibhf3$18p$...
    >> Hi Gang,
    >>
    >> I have a friend who travels quite a bit (in NZ), isn't very rich but
    >> was considering getting a cheap-ish, low-end tablet. She wants it
    >> mainly for watching movies and perhaps reading books (although she
    >> has a Kindle Touch - she could part with that if the phone ends up
    >> doing the job).

    >
    > I got a Samsun\g Galaxy whatever 10.1 (it's the 0.1" that makes the
    > difference).


    Always!

    > Makes reading the live timing much easier than
    > squinting at my phone.


    I bet.

    > Maybe a 7" would be sufficient. As the actress said to the bishop


    LOL! I haven't heard anyone say that this millenium - yet I said it myself a
    couple days ago, that's what prompted me to think about when I last heard
    it. (Mind you that's more likely due to my lack of a social life rather than
    the usage of the saying....)

    I used to know a guy who said it a lot - it's amazing just how many things
    can make you smile with "As the actress said to the bishop" tacked on the
    end. :)

    Thanks for the comments. I've decided to keep my nose out - she can't afford
    what she'd need. I commented to her without knowing the state of the smart
    phone market and now she's keen on the idea. D'oh!
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Mar 22, 2013
    #19
  20. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Friday, 22 March 2013 13:40:03 UTC+13, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
    >
    > > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >
    > > news:kibhf3$18p$...

    >
    > >> Hi Gang,

    >
    > >>

    >
    > >> I have a friend who travels quite a bit (in NZ), isn't very rich but

    >
    > >> was considering getting a cheap-ish, low-end tablet. She wants it

    >
    > >> mainly for watching movies and perhaps reading books (although she

    >
    > >> has a Kindle Touch - she could part with that if the phone ends up

    >
    > >> doing the job).

    >
    > >

    >
    > > I got a Samsun\g Galaxy whatever 10.1 (it's the 0.1" that makes the

    >
    > > difference).

    >
    >
    >
    > Always!
    >
    >
    >
    > > Makes reading the live timing much easier than

    >
    > > squinting at my phone.

    >
    >
    >
    > I bet.
    >
    >
    >
    > > Maybe a 7" would be sufficient. As the actress said to the bishop

    >
    >
    >
    > LOL! I haven't heard anyone say that this millenium - yet I said it myself a
    >
    > couple days ago, that's what prompted me to think about when I last heard
    >
    > it. (Mind you that's more likely due to my lack of a social life rather than
    >
    > the usage of the saying....)
    >
    >
    >
    > I used to know a guy who said it a lot - it's amazing just how many things
    >
    > can make you smile with "As the actress said to the bishop" tacked on the
    >
    > end. :)
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks for the comments. I've decided to keep my nose out - she can't afford
    >
    > what she'd need. I commented to her without knowing the state of the smart
    >
    > phone market and now she's keen on the idea. D'oh!
    >
    > --
    >
    > /Shaun.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    >
    > cozy little classification in the DSM."
    >
    > David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)


    For big screen (4" and up I used a priceSpy search for Android phones ranked by price lowest:

    Telecom R22 from the Warehouse is $199 and has a 4" 800x480 screen but not sure if locked to Telecom's network.

    LG Optimus L7 P705 has 4.3" that's getting up there! $269 including shipping from some online shop.

    etc etc. So looks like there's a few Android 4 options with 4" or better screens all under $300. Not bad, really.
    JohnO, Mar 22, 2013
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?VGluYS5W?=

    Wireless XP SP2 netwk semi-resolved.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGluYS5W?=, Jan 6, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    519
    Steve
    Jan 8, 2005
  2. olabanji  timothy

    pls, help.. i need a number..pls

    olabanji timothy, Sep 9, 2003, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    824
  3. fitwell
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    412
    fitwell
    Nov 24, 2003
  4. Some Dude
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    324
    Some Dude
    Aug 22, 2004
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    660
    trouble
    Aug 16, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page